Spring recruiting, 2015

Given the turmoil that occurred over the past season and particularly how we ended with 9 straight losses, I'm thinking the coaches had to know there was going to be some premature attrition.  And by that I mean early departures -- kids leaving the program with remaining eligibility.

I'm of the understanding that what we've seen so far hasn't really taken anyone by surprise.  Therefore, the coaches apparently knew they'd have some more spots available to be filled this spring and also knew what our likely needs would be.  (Can you say "a big man"?)

What we have posted as far as prospects we are pursuing must be a very incomplete list.  I would have to think we've known for a couple of months, at least, that we'd be pursuing another big man in the spring.  We've seen some names of some guys that wouldn't likely have been known to anyone back when we probably knew we'd be in the market.

We picked up Leslee Smith from the juco ranks and he was a kind of under-the-radar guy that no one really knew about until about the time he committed, as I recall.  So I know those under-the-radar types can sometimes appear out of nowhere and be quality players.  But the usual sources aren't dropping a lot of very satisfying hints about whom we might be going after this time around.

I like the Edwards kid who's getting a lot of attention.  I'm a little less enamored of the Brown transfer and you'll have to call me a doubting Thomas on that one until we see him in live action.  IF we see him in live action.

I guess I'm just feeling like it doesn't seem as though we've cast a very wide net when we apparently anticipated -- or should have anticipated -- some turnover.  Were we caught with our pants down, so to speak?  I would have thought we'd see a little more activity than we've seen.  Just sayin.

Big men have been tough for us to get lately. Not picky if we can get a guy who can rebound and hopefully has some down low moves. Rivers could rebound but was undersized and didnt have any down low moves.

I agree that we knew we would have at least 1 spot open, but i still think they were caught slightly off guard that all 3 are leaving(waiting on official word from TP).

With 3 spots open, the question is where do we go with them. I dont mind the 1 and done because it fills needs we have now and then we can spend a whole year recruiting for that schollie when it opens back up.

I like the idea of getting Edwards, a Juco/grad big and then adding a Juco PG. 

One of my big concerns with Morrow and Watson is throwing them in to the fray without time to get use to the college game because we have such a need.

Adding a guy like the providence transfer or brown transfer at least allows us to get Morrow action the right way. Same thing with adding depth at PG.

To your original point, it doesnt seem like we are connected to a lot of names, but that could be something we are keeping quiet or we knew the feeding frenzy starts after the tournament.... might be waiting to see if more kids transfer.

I guess I'm just feeling like it doesn't seem as though we've cast a very wide net when we apparently anticipated -- or should have anticipated -- some turnover.  Were we caught with our pants down, so to speak?  I would have thought we'd see a little more activity than we've seen.  Just sayin.

From what I know we were ready and prepared for the turnover. The Mike Edwards offer before this all went down would be about as big of a public indicator from this close-to-the-vest staff as you'll see.

To your original point, it doesnt seem like we are connected to a lot of names, but that could be something we are keeping quiet or we knew the feeding frenzy starts after the tournament.... might be waiting to see if more kids transfer.

There are lots of guys you will never know we were pursing if there is no advantage to anyone on the staff releasing that information and it's a kid that isn't promoting himself. Any time either party wants it to be known it will be on this board in under a day via someone's twitter.

From what I know we were ready and prepared for the turnover. The Mike Edwards offer before this all went down would be about as big of a public indicator from this close-to-the-vest staff as you'll see.

From that, I'd imagine that the staff knew that Tarin Smith would be pursuing other opportunities. I think Walt kind of surprised the staff, IMHO.

Any time either party wants it to be known it will be on this board in under a day via someone's twitter.

That's the part that worries me.  I'd have expected more names and more positions.  Even with a staff playing things close to the vest, kids still send out tweets saying "Very blessed to have been offered by Nebraska today" or Alex Kline will tweet, "Soandso McPlayer picked up offers from Nebraska, Duke and Kentucky today." 

So far, other than Edwards and a few other whiffs of smoke, there hasn't been much.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Any time either party wants it to be known it will be on this board in under a day via someone's twitter.

That's the part that worries me.  I'd have expected more names and more positions.  Even with a staff playing things close to the vest, kids still send out tweets saying "Very blessed to have been offered by Nebraska today" or Alex Kline will tweet, "Soandso McPlayer picked up offers from Nebraska, Duke and Kentucky today." 

So far, other than Edwards and a few other whiffs of smoke, there hasn't been much.  Maybe I'm wrong.

outside of a guy like Edwards that literally came out of nowhere there isnt much left out there outside of the transfer market.

If we are running behind the curve on spring recruiting, hopefully that is because we have spent an inordinate amount of time hammering 2016 and 2017 prospects.  It's also possible that this staff did expect an early transfer or two, but given the nature of recruiting today, they figured they would backfill with incoming Sr transfers from other schools.  You really can't recruit that type of player in January or February because you don't know who they are.

interesting that the tweet is no longer on that guys page.  Its an odd tweet though like Miles doesnt know hes coming.

No, I think he's trying to pass along that this kid has the same HS coach as Chris Weber had rather than trying to tell him he has a visitor, because later in the tweet he hashtags "#mine2" as in it was his, the tweeter's, HS coach also.

Big Ten basketball recruiting 2015: comparing Maryland's class with the rest of the conference - Testudo Times

http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/4/10/8375929/big-ten-basketball-recruiting-2015-maryland-wisconsin-michigan-state-indiana

usa-today-8465411.0.jpg

Nebraska:
The Commits: 
Glynn Watson, point guard, four-star. Ed Morrow, power forward, four-star. Michael Jacobson, power forward, three star. Jack McVeigh, small forward, three-star.

Given their 13-18 overall record, Nebraska's fans should be encouraged by their incoming recruiting class. Watson will give the Cornhuskers a ball handler which will allow Terran Petteway to play off the ball. Morrow will help their front court play, and as a four-star prospect, should be expected to be a contributor on the roster. With added talent around Petteway, he will have other players to carry the load, and not feel obligated to launch bad shots during games. This class should certainly make Nebraska look better on paper, it's just a matter of fulfilling those expectations.

Did not see a single Nebrasketball coach or recruit on the sidelines at yesterday's Spring Football Game--not one. That's a change from years past. Two observations:

1. Every single Spring Game in years past that I can recall had at least one Nebrasketball recruit on the side lines; but

2. Don't recall a single time in years past that a Nebrasketball recruit attended the Spring Game and committed to Nebrasketball either that same weekend or shortly thereafter. This recollection is probably faulty. Anyone have a different recollection?

Did not see a single Nebrasketball coach or recruit on the sidelines at yesterday's Spring Football Game--not one. That's a change from years past. Two observations:

1. Every single Spring Game in years past that I can recall had at least one Nebrasketball recruit on the side lines; but

2. Don't recall a single time in years past that a Nebrasketball recruit attended the Spring Game and committed to Nebrasketball either that same weekend or shortly thereafter. This recollection is probably faulty. Anyone have a different recollection?

I think the reason is mostly because they wanted to get out and evaluate players.  Its why you saw Edwards here on a Thursday and Friday so they could spend Saturday and Sunday checking players out.  There were two big tournaments going on this weekend and know for sure Miles was at one of them.  I think it all depends on when the game and these tournaments fall on a map.  The coaches can't pass up the opportunity to see 100's of kids.

I'm guessing Edwards could have attended the spring game if he wanted to.

Probably not that important for a basketball recruit to watch a football scrimmage.

• 2 weeks later...