2019 PF Akol Arop - LOI

hhcmatt

1 hour ago, nebrasketball10 said:

There’s a pretty big gap between those two... Simms would be a small role player at best on the kind of team we want to be.

The comparison (I believe) is that Corey played the 4 or 5 in high school and then moved to the perimeter at Nebraska.  Although Corey improved on the perimeter, he was likely considered a below average shooter from the perimeter throughout his college career.  Corey was here for four years, but really only played three years.  He was a career 45% shooter, but shot very few three's and only hit 27% from behind the arc.  He shot 61% from the free throw line.  Again, the comparison is his HS career.

Ade played here two years.  He shot 53% from 2 point range, 36% from 3 point range and 66% from the free throw line.  

I guess another comparison could be Jason Dourisseau.  He too is from Omaha and has similar size.  I believe Jason played HS ball with Roy Enright, who was a classic post man.  Jason was a slasher who shot 45% from the field, 24% from behind the arc and 56% from the free throw line.  

From watching him this season I really like the versatility he brings to this team next year. Jumper does need work, yes. But he is someone we can rely on to rebound, defend at a high level, and attack the rim. 

I think he will be a good 4 year player for us. Would like to see him grow an inch or two. And obviously he'll need to hit the weight room, but long term with development, I really like him in the system. You'll see him close games on defense by his second/third year. 

11 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

‘To be fair I think he plays that way because it is what his team needs and why shoot jump shots if you can get layups. He has a decent jumper but definitely needs to continue to improve on it. Do not think he is too small to be a 4 at all, he is not a guard IMO so he has to be a 3-4. Reminds me a lot of the kid starting at the 4 for Creighton

Playing a 6'5" guy at the 4 in the Big East is a lot easier than playing a 6'5" guy at the 4 in the Big Ten.

Doc Sadler, who has to be one of the best small-ball coaches around, was asked in his last season when he had all kind of injuries why he didn't just go with a small lineup like the one that went 9-9 in the Big XII during Ade's senior year.  He said, in the Big Ten, you would just get killed defensively in the post trying that.

10 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Playing a 6'5" guy at the 4 in the Big East is a lot easier than playing a 6'5" guy at the 4 in the Big Ten.

Doc Sadler, who has to be one of the best small-ball coaches around, was asked in his last season when he had all kind of injuries why he didn't just go with a small lineup like the one that went 9-9 in the Big XII during Ade's senior year.  He said, in the Big Ten, you would just get killed defensively in the post trying that.

I agree it’s harder but I think you can do it, game has changed the last few years and he plays like a 6’7-8 guy

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 10:29 PM, Art Vandalay said:

I agree it’s harder but I think you can do it, game has changed the last few years and he plays like a 6’7-8 guy

Agree with Art. You can play inside at a shorter height if you have good length. If he's able to not get pushed around his athleticism and length will help him out.

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, ShortDust said:

What’s even more crazy about this was that coach Gates was present with Fred and Matt.

Until Hoiberg fires anyone, they're still working here which includes the assistants who are under contract. 

Most coaches like to keep on a guy for the sake of continuity and Gates is looking like that guy.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Until Hoiberg fires anyone, they're still working here which includes the assistants who are under contract. 

Most coaches like to keep on a guy for the sake of continuity and Gates is looking like that guy.

Fred also kept a guy on staff when he went  to ISU. TJ I believe.

• 1 month later...

Big Ten player comp: Sam Thompson

A tweener. Not big enough to be a post player, not enough ball skills to be a guard. Gets off the floor quick. Long and ultra-bouncy. Thompson had a couple years at Ohio State where he became a pretty good three point shooter. His athleticism, motor and ability to guard multiple positions earned him a ton of playing time for some very good Buckeye teams. 

• hhcmatt unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

No inside knowledge here just my recent experience. Was heading to Thailand in February, my passport expired in July and I thought nothing of it. It didn’t expire before I was coming back. However it expired within the 180 day max you are allowed to stay without a work visa or similar long term travel doc. Almost missed the trip because of it. A lot of people looking to run from something do so in Thailand and they will not let you in and will turn you back at customs if your passport expires within 180 days of your arrival regardless of your purchased travel itinerary.

With international travel there are many caveats.  Any of those caveats could be called a paperwork mixup.