2019 PF Akol Arop - LOI

hhcmatt

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

It seemed like when Lewis started the plan was to expand our reach into the footprint of the B1G by taking the next step after Illinois success into Indiana.  We flipped up a decent amount of offers with no commits.  Our last open offer to an Indiana kid is 2019's Alex Hemenway whom we haven't heard about since offering in Oct of 2017. While we're open to talent anywhere it seems like Lewis shifting his focus to Nebraska was a calculated move by the staff.

It does seems like the talent in the state has either increased and/or become more known so that is definitely one reason we've upped our recruiting there. My 'what if question' would be whether we would have still shifted our focus to Nebraska if we had pulled some Indiana guys.

It also doesn't seem like we have given Gates a chance to work his magic with the addition of all the local kids.

6 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

There’s another opening in the 2019 class and will likely be 1-3 more by the end of the season. Plus 2020 kids. He will get his chance to shine 

Gates has been only been here since May and he's already landed MAW. He's going to shine like the sun.

On 10/4/2018 at 2:05 PM, hhcmatt said:

It seemed like when Lewis started the plan was to expand our reach into the footprint of the B1G by taking the next step after Illinois success into Indiana.  We flipped up a decent amount of offers with no commits.  Our last open offer to an Indiana kid is 2019's Alex Hemenway whom we haven't heard about since offering in Oct of 2017. While we're open to talent anywhere it seems like Lewis shifting his focus to Nebraska was a calculated move by the staff.

It does seems like the talent in the state has either increased and/or become more known so that is definitely one reason we've upped our recruiting there. My 'what if question' would be whether we would have still shifted our focus to Nebraska if we had pulled some Indiana guys.

We just offered a kid from Indiana ?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

He’s going to do everything that Amir does well plus he can shoot. Then factor in that he can play the 4 a majority of the time. I think we got a steal from those dirty birds two years in a row now. 

His brother, Aguek, is listed at 225 with San Diego State. So putting on enough size/muscle to play the 4 shouldnt be a problem.

Edited by khoock

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the B West-Prep metro championship game. My takeaway on Arop is that he is definitely a D-1 athlete but someone who still has a long ways to go offensively.  He is very long and athletic and got almost all of his points by just out athleting the opposition.  That’s probably not something he will be able to do vs Big Ten talent. He finished with 21 points and 18 boards but he only took one jump shot.

I feel like we say this about too many of our recruits but if he can develop a jump shot he will be a very effective player. If not, I’m not sure he lasts all 4 years in Lincoln.  I’m not sure where he fits in the lineup because he looked too small for a 4 right now and I’m not sure he has the ball handling skills to be a guard in our offense. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

12 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I went to the B West-Prep metro championship game. My takeaway on Arop is that he is definitely a D-1 athlete but someone who still has a long ways to go offensively.  He is very long and athletic and got almost all of his points by just out athleting the opposition.  That’s probably not something he will be able to do vs Big Ten talent. He finished with 21 points and 18 boards but he only took one jump shot.

I feel like we say this about too many of our recruits but if he can develop a jump shot he will be a very effective player. If not, I’m not sure he lasts all 4 years in Lincoln.  I’m not sure where he fits in the lineup because he looked too small for a 4 right now and I’m not sure he has the ball handling skills to be a guard in our offense. 

‘To be fair I think he plays that way because it is what his team needs and why shoot jump shots if you can get layups. He has a decent jumper but definitely needs to continue to improve on it. Do not think he is too small to be a 4 at all, he is not a guard IMO so he has to be a 3-4. Reminds me a lot of the kid starting at the 4 for Creighton