2019 PF Akol Arop - LOI

hhcmatt

Coach Lewis stopped in to see Arop work out yesterday - officials set to Drake Sept 21, NU Sept 28 and Omaha Oct 5

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/nebraska-and-uno-coaches-have-been-busy-visiting-in-state/article_3be0482b-5cfd-54f5-8c3e-657dc3ffe65c.html

Edited by throwback

• 3 weeks later...

On 9/29/2018 at 8:59 AM, Huskerpapa said:

I will not be shocked if Akol commits after the visit.

Is there any news coming out of the weekend. Nothing from Robin or anyone in the media? Just seems weird that we thought a commit might be coming and have heard nothing makes you think there's still something coming.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I believe Akol is visiting UNO this weekend. Not exactly sure of his time table

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/huskers-land-one-of-omaha-creighton-prep-forward-akol-arop/article_3344c735-1290-5241-9916-880ee2f2cedb.html

This was back a month or so ago. Unless he added a visit to UNO. Which is possible. I think he should choose his school here this week or next week.

19 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I wonder if his offer is still commitable since we got two guards. I’d sure like to have him tho still. Could make a heck of a small ball 4 

Miles probably sees him as a small ball 4 or as a 3 that can play defense. Which suits his playstyle better. I think he'd fit in nicely. 

4 hours ago, khoock said:

Miles said hes still looking for a "long, athletic guy and a combo forward".

Assuming Akol's wing span is similiar to his older brothers (6'9ish) i think he checks the box for the former.

It's 6'8.25".

13 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

Just seems weird that we thought a commit might be coming and have heard nothing makes you think there's still something coming.

It seemed like it might be a possibility just based on the other recent commits leading up to his official and nobody else jumping into the mix, but he never gave any sort of indication to anyone that he was planning on making his decision over the weekend. There really wasn't a reason to expect a commitment and therefore there isn't a whole lot of significance to it not happening. 

5 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I wonder if his offer is still commitable since we got two guards. I’d sure like to have him tho still. Could make a heck of a small ball 4 

He's a different kind of player than Adams-Woods and Green, and it's not like Nebraska is in tight with a bunch of guys considering the number of their offers that have come off the board recently to other schools. I'd have a hard time believing Miles wouldn't accept a commitment from Arop at this point. 

Jacob, you mentioned something that begs me to ask another question.  If and when we "offer a scholarship" to a player; what exactly does that mean in today's world?  If a player "accepts" the offer, does the school then agree to the acceptance or is there further discussion, such as, we will accept your acceptance if Joe Doe does not accept our offer?

It seems that schools offer a ton of scholarships,  so there must be a plethora of backroom wheeling and dealing.  It wasn't quite like that back in my day, but it must be the way things are these days.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:31 AM, Huskerpapa said:

Jacob, you mentioned something that begs me to ask another question.  If and when we "offer a scholarship" to a player; what exactly does that mean in today's world?  If a player "accepts" the offer, does the school then agree to the acceptance or is there further discussion, such as, we will accept your acceptance if Joe Doe does not accept our offer?

It seems that schools offer a ton of scholarships,  so there must be a plethora of backroom wheeling and dealing.  It wasn't quite like that back in my day, but it must be the way things are these days.

It's always conditional and depends on the kid. Some are kids you take no matter what, some you slow-play depending on what else you have going on. Sometimes kids commit but you encourage them to look elsewhere later on (like Markese Jacobs and Kansas). It's certainly a balancing act. I'm not so sure that that's some change, though. Recruiting has always been a cut-throat business. 

1 minute ago, Jacob Padilla said:

It's always conditional and depends on the kid. Some are kids you take no matter what, some you slow-play depending on what else you have going on. Sometimes kids commit but you encourage them to look elsewhere later on (like Markese Jacobs and Kansas). It's certainly a balancing act. I'm not so sure that that's some change, though. Recruiting has always been a cut-throat business. 

Thanks Jacob.  It was less cut-throat years ago, but so much has changed.  Two changes I believe altered the scholarship game.  One was Title IX and the other is scholarship limits.   

It seemed like when Lewis started the plan was to expand our reach into the footprint of the B1G by taking the next step after Illinois success into Indiana.  We flipped up a decent amount of offers with no commits.  Our last open offer to an Indiana kid is 2019's Alex Hemenway whom we haven't heard about since offering in Oct of 2017. While we're open to talent anywhere it seems like Lewis shifting his focus to Nebraska was a calculated move by the staff.

It does seems like the talent in the state has either increased and/or become more known so that is definitely one reason we've upped our recruiting there. My 'what if question' would be whether we would have still shifted our focus to Nebraska if we had pulled some Indiana guys.