2019 PF Akol Arop - LOI

hhcmatt

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

So you don't think he should play center for Prep?

He can play the 5 in Nebraska Class A High School Ball but he wouldn't be doing that at a Power 5 school. Just like his brother, he's long and athletic, but doesn't have much of a perimeter game at all. Needs to develop that aspect of his game if he wants looks from bigger name schools

2 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

So you don't think he should play center for Prep?

He most definitely has similar deficiencies in his game like Aguek did. He's not a college post player, he's got the athletic skill set of a wing. But because of him being one of the biggest kids in the state he's been parked in the post at ole CP. Needs to work on his jump shooting and perimeter game. He's a freak athlete. 

6 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

If I was a prep coach I’d want him in the post too I’m just saying as far as the next level goes they aren’t doin him any favors. I’d also argue that Nebraska is increasing robys value by showing he can play the 3 to 5 positions. Would be an excellent pick n pop 4 off of someone’s bench in the NBA in a few years 

Sounds good.  Sorry I interpreted it the other way.

There are a lot more practices than games in high school basketball. Akol is getting plenty of opportunities to work on his perimeter skills even if he was being asked to serve mostly as a screen-and-roll or post player for Prep on game days. Prep had the most stacked team in the state this year (as the Class A title can back up) and while Akol was the team's leading scorer, basically everyone else in the rotation was a better perimeter shooter than he is. Next year I'd imagine we'll see his usage increase both in volume and in variety.

Showing an improved jumper is a big part of why Darian DeVries offered him at Drake. He knocked down a few 3s in OSA's first tournament with DeVries in the crowd (his son plays on the 15U OSA Gauntlet team). 

• 2 months later...