2019 PF Akol Arop - LOI

hhcmatt

On 8/6/2018 at 1:06 PM, cjbowbros said:

Well Suh was 285lbs and he jumped 35.5 so... #notimpressed 

On 8/6/2018 at 1:15 PM, hskr4life said:

Did we miss that the highest standing vert at the combine was 1 inch lower?

Not sure if you understood what my joke was referring to. I was talking about Ndamukong Suh who according to LJS "... surely impressed the NFL coaches, scouts, general managers and all the draft junkies watching on TV and online when he posted a vertical jump of 35 1/2 inches." I'm obviously impressed and excited that he has that type of ability.

• 2 weeks later...

With the addition of Williams how do you guys see akol's game fitting in with this team? Does it change at all? I am curious because I don't think he's a great fit. He is uber athletic, but at a position that is a bit logjammed. I feel like he has potential to be a stopper on defense, but offensively I don't see a whole lot of skill. This is just my opinion. I liked the offer when it was first tendered

He has serviceable three point range now, which was his biggest question mark before TM offered.  He's worked hard in that area, and Nebraska quickly offered when he began to prove it in AAU games against elite competition.  He has freakshow athleticism--as much as anyone we currently have on our roster, and that says a lot.  I think he can play the 4 here with his strength/length and leaping ability.  

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8733361/5ac6bb20968157099445fb5d

Reminds me a lot of this guy, and EVERY team has room for this guy:  

4 hours ago, LK1 said:

He has serviceable three point range now, which was his biggest question mark before TM offered.  He's worked hard in that area, and Nebraska quickly offered when he began to prove it in AAU games against elite competition.  He has freakshow athleticism--as much as anyone we currently have on our roster, and that says a lot.  I think he can play the 4 here with his strength/length and leaping ability.  

Oh yeah, agreed. Ade was the man !!!

14 hours ago, LK1 said:

I too have always thought Ade was a perfect comparison for Akol

13 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Do you see DW and Akol playing the same position? 

Aren't they both wings? Pretty much the same height, akol has a better wingspan.

Also there haven't exactly been a flurry of offers coming in this aau circuit...

Edited by BmoreRed

Williams and Akol may be about the same height but that's about all they have in common. Donovan has a better frame but Akol is longer and more explosive. Donovan likes to take a lot of jumpers; Akol likes to go to the rack. Akol wreaks havoc on defense and Donovan... Well, he's got a ways to go on that end.

Donovan's been told he's going to play the 2 at Nebraska. Akol should be a wing who could play some small-ball 4.

Akol can put the ball on the deck once or twice to attack closeouts but his handles aren't advanced enough to create off the bounce outside of straight line drives. He's still not a good free-throw shooter, so that's worrisome in regards to his long-term shooting potential, but he did catch fire from 3 the last few weeks of June. He shot about 31% overall for OSA this summer. 

After this season, Nebraska has:

• Allen, Harris and Burke at the guard position
  • Akenten, Thorbjarnarson and Davis at the wing
  • Roby (assuming he returns), Chan, and Heiman inside

There really isn't a logjam anywhere. Nebraska can take players at every position. And if there is one position you can afford to overload, it's the wing. 

On 8/26/2018 at 11:38 PM, Jacob Padilla said:

After this season, Nebraska has:

• Allen, Harris and Burke at the guard position
  • Akenten, Thorbjarnarson and Davis at the wing
  • Roby (assuming he returns), Chan, and Heiman inside

So basically one at each spot plus an extra wing or front court player. I think the three gaurds returning will be legitimate players. Aside from Roby, the other two spots have a lot of uncertainty and unproven players (hopefully not so uncertain and unproven after this season). So an extra body in either would be nice to work with.