2019 PF Akol Arop - LOI

hhcmatt

I think that might be water under the bridge as Aguek Arop did, in fact, go to a prep school (as Miles suggested he do) and then Aguek received a great offer to San Diego St. I doubt there's acrimony unless a coach perpetuates this sentiment through something happening over & over. This Arop is at Prep, so I'd say there's a chance for very good NU vibes with Kenya Hunter's son having played there.

Edited by AuroranHusker

26 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's not coming here. i'd imagine his family doesn't think the most of miles.

I don't believe what happened between Nebraska and Aguek will have too much of an impact on what Akol chooses to do. We've already seen Akol go out and make his own choices with him going to Creighton Prep over Omaha South for high school (South thought he was going there; they even had him on their bench at state as an eighth grader IIRC), and he has a different group around him offering advice/mentorship. 

Right now, Nebraska is Akol's best offer by far. We'll see what the next two weekends bring, but Nebraska's in a good place right now, I'd say. I highly doubt he turns down Nebraska to go to UNO or UAB.

Edited by Jacob Padilla

4 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

I like this offer a lot, could be a Roby type that can guard any position (besides C maybe) and could be great if he could expand his handles.

The difference is that Akol is only 6'5" vs. Roby's 6'8". I do find it interesting that Miles offered Akol now. I didn't see what he showed this weekend in New York, but from what I have seen I don't think he's much if any further along skill-wise than Ageuk was as a senior, and I'd say Aguek was probably a more natural perimeter defender than Akol is right now. It will be interesting to track Akol's progress this winter and see just how much Prep expands his role offensively (which was the plan already) and what that looks like.

There are a couple subtle differences at Nebraska today, versus a couple years ago.  One is a new AD.  That AD may have planted a seed among his coaches that it is more important than ever to recruit the local talent.  Second, from what I can see, the talent level in the State (in all sports) seems to be on the rise.  Third, Coach Miles may now be in a better position to take greater risks on home grown talent as he seems to have built a good foundation; plus he now has a good reputation for bringing in transfers to supplement his HS recruiting classes.

...or then again, I may be guilty of having an overactive imagination ?

Edited by Huskerpapa

Arop’s offer comes four years after Nebraska received a commitment from his older brother Aguek. Aguek, who committed to the Huskers before his sophomore season, parted ways with NU during his senior year at Omaha South. In May, he committed to San Diego State after attending an Atlanta prep school for a year.

That will not have an effect on the younger Arop’s decision. Arop has done his own thing, choosing to attend Creighton Prep over Omaha South where his three older brothers played basketball.

“It is wonderful to get an offer from a school that once recruited my older brother,” Arop said. “I’ve worked hard these last few years and am blessed to get where I am right now. Aguek’s recruitment from Nebraska and mine are different. I just hope he does well at San Diego State and I’ll do my best with the school I choose.”

OWH: https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/nebraska-basketball-extends-offers-to-creighton-prep-s-akol-arop/article_6d559d71-d9d6-5c27-b98f-b2db3092af92.html

57 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Kinda fun, Akol Arop and OSA 17U's play against D1 Minnesota at 2:45 on this link.. http://adidasgauntlet.com/livestream/

First impressions...

Shereef could be real deal, tight handle and very shifty, not going to be a star but will be a solid ball handler for the bad guys

I hope we get Akol, has a good motor and is a good finisher around the rim. Know what you're getting with him every time.

2 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

First impressions...

Shereef could be real deal, tight handle and very shifty, not going to be a star but will be a solid ball handler for the bad guys

I hope we get Akol, has a good motor and is a good finisher around the rim. Know what you're getting with him every time.

I only watched the first half and maybe it's an unconscious bias but I thought he was mostly out of control and had way too many turnovers. He does handle the ball very well but mostly he used his handles to get to places where he was in trouble and had few if any positive options. And maybe it was a planned rotation but after about three turnovers in a row, he went to the bench for quite some time.  I thought Jaylin Hunter looked much better and also felt Akol was a step up from most of the players on OSA.

On 7/19/2018 at 5:35 PM, Dean Smith said:

I only watched the first half and maybe it's an unconscious bias but I thought he was mostly out of control and had way too many turnovers. He does handle the ball very well but mostly he used his handles to get to places where he was in trouble and had few if any positive options. And maybe it was a planned rotation but after about three turnovers in a row, he went to the bench for quite some time.  I thought Jaylin Hunter looked much better and also felt Akol was a step up from most of the players on OSA.

Maybe that was the case in that game but as someone who has seen both extensively both on that team and for their high school teams, while Jaylin is a very good player Shereef is a clear step or more above. 

Akol hasnt announced his top 5 yet but says Huskers are safely in it. Is planning on taking an unofficial next week as well as an official visit in September. He will utilize all 5 of his official visits and wants to decide before basketball season starts.