State of the Program

I don't view any of these types of situations (Pitchford, Tarin Smith, TP, etc.)  from an individual player perspective.  I always look at these things from an overall "program" perspective and a related coaching perspective.

Every coach in the country has drama in his program. Players with attitude problems.  Troubled players.  Helicopter parents.  Confused players.  Players who think they are ready for the NBA.  Players with family issues, etc., etc. etc.  

Every coach and every program has them and has to have method with how to deal with them.  In the end, every program will be defined by how successful its coach is in managing these issues and players.   

Some coaches will "draw a hard and fast line" and you either "get on board or get out."  Other coaches pride themselves on making all efforts able to "work it out" and convert that problem player into a valued player who want to live and die with the coach and program.  Other coaches (probably most) will be somewhere in the middle.

Once a coach is at year 4 (or after) with our program, I don't really care how he chooses to manage these situations.  That is up to him.  But I do care about the results.  As a fan, I am invested in the program, have committed to the program, and want it to succeed. 

If a coach decides to "cut loose" all problem players/parents/issues, then fine.  So be it. That is his choice, his philosophy.  But IMO, that coach better be a really good recruiter to replace all that lost talent/potential/ability.  Otherwise, he is always going to be one or two players short of where we want to be a as a program.  And after year 4 or 5, if a coach has a lot of problem players, then that is on that coach because that coach recruited those players.  In the end, it always comes back to the coach.  His players, His team, His results.  All coaches have to deal with the same things.  Some do it better than others and the results ultimately bear that out. 

There are and have been many different great coaches in college basketball.  Each one of them has or had a different philosophy, strategy or method than the other.  No two are exactly alike.  I personally am always impressed with coaches who are able to take in troubled players and "make it work."  Coaches who are able to get selfish players to become selfless players.  Coaches who are able to transform problem players (and parents?) into valuable and productive players.  That is a special ability that few coaches have IMO.  But even then, no coach bats 100% in that regard either.  So again, whatever path a coach chooses is fine as long as it builds up the team and the program over the long run.

As for Miles, he has a lot of goodwill built up.  He gave us one of the most exciting stretches in the history of NU BB last year and took a Cinderella to the Dance.  He certainly has ramped up the recruiting in this class (at least on paper).  He is "in" on other talented players.  He is a proven program builder, so he definitely deserves at least 6-7 years to try and build up this program.  But it does remain to be seen whether he can successfully build up this program in this conference.   

Better than fine, Norm.

We've progressed to the point that we're good enough to have multiple players leave early for the pros!

It's a great time to be a Husker!!!

:D

You stole my joke you sonofabitch.  Damn.  I was coming back to the thread to edit my post just for that purpose and you beat me to it.  AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH.

Speaking of AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH and jokes ...

What did the pirate captain say on his 80th birthday?

It was a forgone conclusion that TP5 would leave.  Its probably the wisest decision for him if he wants to make a living playing basketball.  I would have loved to have him back but knowing we have AWIII, I'm not worried.  We might actually be better with a scoring combo of AWIII & Shavon rather than putting TP5 in the mix as well.  TP5 has the tendancy to go rogue & try to do to much. If he's on we win but if he has an off night we waste possessions with him forcing things & he starts doing dumb stuff out of frustration.  He's a guy isn't good in a complementary role.

The more you put the puzzle pieces together with Walt, the more I start to see what a distraction he was on the team.  He half assed the entire year & refused to play the role we needed him to fill in order to win.  He basically packed in the season & took his ball & went home.  With our lack of size we needed him to use his size & athletic ability being a force inside.  He couldn't/wouldn't do it & we suffered.  There were numerous reports from people outside the program that said we looked like a team "that didn't like each other".

Obviously something happened to the "US Always" mentality that we fed on & won with in '13-'14.  I think our best 3 players all started butting heads with one another & we turned into a mess.

I think we are going to be better with the roster turnover.  We need a graduate transfer who can come in & start immediately at the 4 or 5 spot.  We also need another ready to go 4 or 5 who can be in the rotation.

I wouldn't be surprised if we look at adding a quality JUCO PG as Benny was a liability this year & Watson may or may not be ready to be the starter.  I think Watson will be very good but next year can't be a rebuilding year.

The difference between the '13-14 and '14-15 Huskers MBB team significantly reminds me of the difference between the early-season '07 Husker VB team and the late-season '07 Husker VB team, where team chemistry seemed to fall apart after being swept at Texas.

Team chemistry seems to be an underrated factor in men's sports.

Better than fine, Norm.

We've progressed to the point that we're good enough to have multiple players leave early for the pros!

It's a great time to be a Husker!!!

:D

You stole my joke you sonofabitch.  Damn.  I was coming back to the thread to edit my post just for that purpose and you beat me to it.  AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH.

Speaking of AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH and jokes ...

What did the pirate captain say on his 80th birthday?

Yeah well it looks like you beat me to the joke by 8 minutes in the other thread.  I was sure that it hadn't been said anywhere yet when I posted it but I must not have seen yours.  So you win this round, my friend...  :D

But on a more serious note, I really REALLY wish Terran all the best and hope he can get drafted and land in the NBA sooner rather than later.  It will be great for him and great for our program if/when he does.

Godspeed to you Terran, I know you have a family to look out for and despite all our wishes you have to do what you feel is best for you and your family.  It's been a pleasure watching you play in Husker red these past two seasons.

our starting lineup for 2015-16 will likely include 3 rivals 4 star players: watson, morrow, white.

we would have thrown a parade to have 1 4 star player during the sadler/collier days.

And also this.

We all realize, right, that it was just about a year ago we were over the moon with landing Jake as the first Rivals 150 kid in program history?  Now there's concern that 3 top-70 players in addition to Jake may not be enough?  To me that's a little bit misguided.  Like Norm said earlier.  "We're fine".

Go Big Red!

our starting lineup for 2015-16 will likely include 3 rivals 4 star players: watson, morrow, white.

we would have thrown a parade to have 1 4 star player during the sadler/collier days.

I would be standing on "O" street for that parade which we should be having anyway, because yeah we got us some good guys coming in.

Props I suppose to a loyal fan base which seems to view this season and its aftermath through a Husker red filter.  But the blind optimism is not necessarily rooted in reality. 

When a team falls apart so spectacularly (both during the season and now following the season) I look squarely at the coaching staff.  

Considering the resources at their disposal it is deeply concerning to be entering year four of this staff's tenure with so much uncertainty and instability.  

I still think Tim Miles is the best coach Nebraska money can buy.  Give him a long, long rope. Like a 10 year long rope.  Not that anybody at this point is wanting to drive him out of town anyway.

But I've got to tell you, I really wonder if we're ever going to be anything more than a program that backs itself into an NCAA tourney once every ten years.

Props I suppose to a loyal fan base which seems to view this season and its aftermath through a Husker red filter.  But the blind optimism is not necessarily rooted in reality. 

When a team falls apart so spectacularly (both during the season and now following the season) I look squarely at the coaching staff.  

Considering the resources at their disposal it is deeply concerning to be entering year four of this staff's tenure with so much uncertainty and instability.  

I just don't understand this line of thinking.

This team didn't fall apart so much as it just wasn't that good to begin with.  I'm not saying things were all rosey...clearly they were not with some attrition...but attrition happens in college basketball and one of the guys leaving is leaving to play ball professionally.   It's hard to blame TP's departure on Miles.   There aren't too many guys who average 18+ in the Big 10 as a 3rd year sophomore and 4th year junior who are going to return.   Its just the way it is.  I also take into consideration Miles past as to what he has done and what he did no more than 380 days ago.  

We speak about resources but we also conveniently ignore the things that work against us.   There's uncertainty because he inherited a sh!t storm.   You don't erase 100 years of ineptitude over night.  But maybe Rome was built in a day

This team didn't fall apart so much as it just wasn't that good to begin with.  I'm not saying things were all rosey...clearly they were not with some attrition...but attrition happens in college basketball and one of the guys leaving is leaving to play ball professionally.   It's hard to blame TP's departure on Miles.   There aren't too many guys who average 18+ in the Big 10 as a 3rd year sophomore and 4th year junior who are going to return.   Its just the way it is.  I also take into consideration Miles past as to what he has done and what he did no more than 380 days ago.  

We speak about resources but we also conveniently ignore the things that work against us.   There's uncertainty because he inherited a sh!t storm.   You don't erase 100 years of ineptitude over night.  But maybe Rome was built in a day

People also like to conveniently ignore the 2013-2014 season when attempting to explain how bad of a coach Miles is as well.

People also like to conveniently ignore the 2013-2014 season when attempting to explain how bad of a coach Miles is as well.

Yep...that team had no business winning 10 games, let alone the 15 they won