Tarin Smith Announces Decision to Transfer

hhcmatt

I don't like losing Tarin, basically because he had promise and you like to have a stable of 4 year lettermen on your roster.  But as others may have hinted here, I don't think losing Tarin hurts as much as losing Pitchford.  We have other talented guards on the roster..... assuming we don't lose more :huh:

I guess I did not really see a change in offensive philosophy per se` rather I saw poorer execution, a team that struggled hitting open looks, a team that passed up open looks, a team that struggled with chemistry (meaning we had a number of players who liked taking it to the hole (Shavon, TP, Tai, TSmith, Benny) no player who would play with his back to the basket and few players who could knock down shots.

Right now...PG can be manned by Benny, Glynn, TP and/or Tai.   So we are not totally inept.  With no change, you basically go into next season the same as this season...simply exchange Glynn's name for TSmith...

That sounds good except for the fact that we were 5-13 this year and lost 9 of our last 10

Right now...PG can be manned by Benny, Glynn, TP and/or Tai.   So we are not totally inept.  With no change, you basically go into next season the same as this season...simply exchange Glynn's name for TSmith...

That sounds good except for the fact that we were 5-13 this year and lost 9 of our last 10

But...from what I have seen, Glynn seems to be a pretty great upgrade.  He has great handles, he can dish, he can shoot, he is a leader...

Tai isn't a PG. Benny can't score and isn't a true PG either. I hope Watson starts from day one. If Watson doesn't start, this upcoming season is basically a repeat of last year.

Tai isn't a PG. Benny can't score and isn't a true PG either. I hope Watson starts from day one. If Watson doesn't start, this upcoming season is basically a repeat of last year.

He has played PG and two years ago, he played well enough that we made it to the dance.  Again, I do not think he is the "go to" PG that we want to live and die with, but I believe he can play there at times depending upon match up situations and the like.  My original message was meant to show that (at this time) we are not inept at that position. 

And just another thought...as Aristotle once said, “The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.” A PG can look sooo much better if he has players that can fulfill their roles.  Tai (as a freshman and having never played "American" style basketball) struggled with turnovers and sometimes did not look focused.  Now, take another look at Tai at the end of his sophomore year.  His defense picked up significantly.  I thought he did a much better job taking care of the ball.  He started to hit his free throws.  His shot looked better.  So he seemed to have shown improvement.  If he again turns up his game another notch, who knows what he may be able to accomplish. 

While Watson does not have quite as good a high school resume as Melo Trimble, I doubt anyone at Maryland thought he would have the impact on the team as an incoming freshman as he did. I think they might still be playing if he had not been injured in his final game. So we might be ok without Smith next year. We'll see.

I'm definitely not as disappointed as some.  I think TS would've turned into a serviceable point guard, but he doesn't have elite skills beyond a solid role player.  I think GW and BP will be a nice combination next year.  BP will improve, and GW has elite talent and scoring ability.  I don't think GW and TS are even close from a prospect standpoint.  The better one is one the way.  

I'm definitely not as disappointed as some.  I think TS would've turned into a serviceable point guard, but he doesn't have elite skills beyond a solid role player.  I think GW and BP will be a nice combination next year.  BP will improve, and GW has elite talent and scoring ability.  I don't think GW and TS are even close from a prospect standpoint.  The better one is one the way.  

I'm still hoping for another PG in this class.  I don't like the idea of banking on an incoming freshman even if that freshman is highly touted.  No offense to Benny, he definitely has a role on this team but his limitations on the offensive end is a killer. 

The thing is, we really, really, really need good role players. That's what killed us this year. We didn't have a single solid role player to help out Petteway and Shields.

Parker can play defensively, but is a liability on offense, as is Webster. Leslee tried hard, but his knees were too shot to provide a consistent boost. Walter was MIA for most of the season. Rivers was too inconsistent. Abraham didn't provide much. Neither did Fuller.

I'd gladly take a solid backup point guard because last year we didn't even have that, let alone a starter.

While Watson does not have quite as good a high school resume as Melo Trimble, I doubt anyone at Maryland thought he would have the impact on the team as an incoming freshman as he did. I think they might still be playing if he had not been injured in his final game. So we might be ok without Smith next year. We'll see.

With all due respect to Watson, Melo Trimble was a McDonald All-American with the hopes of the program pinned to him so a lot of people did think he would have a major impact.

Nobody has any better insight into this?  Really confused on why he left.  To me, if he ends up closer to home it was family.  If he ends up just as far away, it was the program.  I wish we knew the true factors....

TIFWIW, but I was told Miles let him go.  It sounds like Tarin's dad was a handful and has been reaching out to other programs in regards to Tarin possibly transferring.  Miles caught wind of this and decided to part ways.  

The thing is, we really, really, really need good role players. That's what killed us this year. We didn't have a single solid role player to help out Petteway and Shields.

Parker can play defensively, but is a liability on offense, as is Webster. Leslee tried hard, but his knees were too shot to provide a consistent boost. Walter was MIA for most of the season. Rivers was too inconsistent. Abraham didn't provide much. Neither did Fuller.

I'd gladly take a solid backup point guard because last year we didn't even have that, let alone a starter.

To be clear, I'm not happy to see TS go.  I just don't think he'll be hard to replace.  I watched his HS film, and I thought he looked like a decent player coming in, but nothing spectacular.  The bottom line is we'll be better at PG next year with an improved Parker and Watson.  I really don't see how there could be much doubt that this kid is a stud after watching what he did as a senior:

... this is a higher level than what Smith brought to the table.  So, overall, I'm still excited that we'll be better at that position next year.  Overall, it's not a step back, it's a step forward.  

What stands out to me with Watson is his true pull up jump shot.  The midrange jumper is a lost art in college and still one of the most difficult shots to defend.  We haven't had a PG who had a true one since Lue.  I really believe he, Morrow, and White will change the whole dynamic of this team moving forward.  

Nobody has any better insight into this?  Really confused on why he left.  To me, if he ends up closer to home it was family.  If he ends up just as far away, it was the program.  I wish we knew the true factors....

TIFWIW, but I was told Miles let him go.  It sounds like Tarin's dad was a handful and has been reaching out to other programs in regards to Tarin possibly transferring.  Miles caught wind of this and decided to part ways.  

Just curious.  Did you hear anything about Tarin moving over to the 2 next season?

Just curious.  Did you hear anything about Tarin moving over to the 2 next season?

Yes, and he no likey that.  I can't say I blame him if he wanted to be a PG going forward as it sounds like that wasn't in the plans at NU. 

So, like, a Conner Frankamp type situation then...

I'm not sure about that situation.  Just what I heard....who knows if it's true.  Maybe some other can confirm or deny. 

I'll confirm it.

However, I doubt we wanted Tarin to transfer because the guy can play at this level as definitely has potential.

On the other hand, I'm not sure it helps chemistry next year (or even last year) if there is a difference in where you think you should be and where you are in your role with a team.

Yes, and he no likey that.  I can't say I blame him if he wanted to be a PG going forward as it sounds like that wasn't in the plans at NU. 

Ok that jives with something that was shared with me last night.  I did not know about the parent issue but the whole story makes sense. 

According to Lee Barfknecht this a.m.:

Miles said the request to transfer wasn’t a big surprise, even after the 6-foot-2 freshman played in all 31 games, started three and averaged 17.6 minutes a game. “Tarin and I had talked over the last month about his future and where he fit in,” Miles said. “I believe strongly in Tarin and wanted him to stay, but I put out the most likely scenario for him and told him he had to feel good about it.”