Tarin Smith Announces Decision to Transfer

hhcmatt

University of Nebraska men’s basketball coach Tim Miles announced Tuesday evening that freshman guard Tarin Smith has decided to transfer from the Husker program following the spring semester. 

“My family and I have intensely thought about this decision, and we feel that it is best if I transfer at the end of this school year,” Smith said. “I would like to thank the University of Nebraska and the fans for this opportunity and their support and encouragement throughout the year.”

“I am disappointed in Tarin’s choice to transfer, but I support him and understand his decision,” Miles said. “Our entire program will miss him, and we wish him nothing but a successful future.”

This post has been promoted to an article

I'm guessing Nate Hawkins syndrome....

I really liked him. His chase down block was one of our biggest highlights this season. Gonna miss him.

Id say its different than Nate Hawkins.   Hawkins shouldn't have been playing but he thought he should.

Tarin should have been playing over Parker

There's no easy way to say this, and it is with all due respect to Benny, but unless we can pickup someone else it looks like we'll be seeing a lot of BP next year, and frankly I was hoping Tarin and Glynn would be picking up most of his minutes. 

Right now...PG can be manned by Benny, Glynn, TP and/or Tai.   So we are not totally inept.  With no change, you basically go into next season the same as this season...simply exchange Glynn's name for TSmith...

Good point. We still do have Tai in the stable with PG experience even though he was moved to the 2 position this year. 

Tarin leaving isn't all that surprising, but it hurts nonetheless. Hopefully TP5 stays...

Why? Not trying to be adversarial, but you seem to be the only one on the board that saw this coming. You have more insight on the situation?

You apparently haven't been reading these boards, many others had the same thought. It appears that a familial pull tugged at young Tarin...

Just thinking out loud here...

To me, there was a noticeable change in coaching philosophy this year, putting more emphasis on defense, slowing the pace & trying to grind out games. I'm not arguing whether this was the right approach, but I am wondering if this was a contributing factor for both Pitchford & Smith.

Pitchford was always being forced to play out of position for his skill set and perhaps Smith was not thrilled by a slow-it-down, grind-it-out style. (I know I wouldn't be).

Like I said, just wondering...