Pitchford not playing next year....

a0t0w0

It will be okay Norm.  He wasn't making any progress and didn't seem to have the intestinal fortitude required to make it happen this year.  I have met the guy and even had a couple of beverages with him.  Likeable kid.  He was a very confident young man back then(little over a year ago).  Wish it worked out much differently, but he seemed to lose that swagger.  Tough deal, but at this point I don't think it will hurt our basketball team very much.  

It will be okay Norm.  He wasn't making any progress and didn't seem to have the intestinal fortitude required to make it happen this year.  I have met the guy and even had a couple of beverages with him.  Likeable kid.  He was a very confident young man back then(little over a year ago).  Wish it worked out much differently, but he seemed to lose that swagger.  Tough deal, but at this point I don't think it will hurt our basketball team very much.  

This is a fair and balanced analysis IMO, Royal.  We'll see if it's true we "won't miss him".

I would have liked Walt to have been a tougher player physically and mentally.  We all would.  I think some here have interpreted that lack of toughness as being lazy and disinterested.  Sorry, I don't buy that in the least.  There's a difference between toughness and work ethic.  You'd like all your players to have both.  But just because you aren't tough, doesn't make you lazy.

Im interested to see who we get to replace him.

For as bad as he was this year, I struggle to definitively say we are better without him.   But I can also see how if we find a guy who can play in the post and knows his role, that we would be much better off.

I'm leery of our post situation next year.   While I'm not writing Hammond off, it's awefully tough to feel good about him next year.   Everyone else is a true frosh who is going to be lacking some size at this point.

I hope we can pick up a JC player who can rebound and play some D with intensity. Also he needs to be able to catch passes in the post for the kick out on three's.

If he can pass and score a little it will be a bonus.

As for Pitchford I really do not have patience for anyone who has gifts and does not use them but I sincerely wish him well and thank him for opening up space for someone else.

He has gifts and he used them. He also has some other gifts and now he plans to use them. Good for him and good luck to him. The recruiting class of this year came in part from our Pitchford and Petteway transfers and their success last year. If they both move on then we say thank you and keep building.

Well this was news I wasn't expecting to sit down to this eventing.  As of right now I'd have to say this pretty much sucks for us.  I was optimistic that Walt was going to regain his touch next season and even develop more of an inside game.  Let's see what Tim and crew can do.  Hopefully this will work out in the long run. 

I wish him nothing but the best, and I commend him for making what must have been a hard decision.  If you heart is not in it, and there's no shame in admitting that, then you do what is best for yourself and the team. 

I am sad as well. Walt has talent I was excited to see him harness again next season. He gets bashed on here quite a bit and his play wasn't what this years team needed, but he has two things that Nebrasketball lacks recently, height and experience. I really liked Walt as a person. He was good with the kids while signing after the scrimmage and one other occasion. I wish him the nothing but the best.