If you ever played in the Bob or old Coliseum

colhusker

what was your favorite experience doing so.

Just one for me.  My Little Fry basketball team got to play in the Old Coliseum at halftime when I was in about 2nd grade.  Was one of the younger kids on the team so I didn't get the ball much.  When they finally passed it to me, I jacked up an NBA 3 depth shot which clanked off the rim.  Got an oooooo from the crowd, got an a$$ chewing from the older players.

I didn't actually get to play at the Bob, but I did stay at a holiday inn express. Hastings made state my junior and senior years, so we got to break the new floor in. I wasn't on the team in 76 but was a student manager in 77 my senior year. It was a bit over whelming for me. To look up and see the vastness of the place, the team must have felt the same way as we lost to Papillion.

I played a lot of intramural and pick up games at the coliseum.  A lot. 

However, it was a heck of a game atmosphere as a fan.  The place would literally shake when the crowd got going. 

I had a friend who said he played a HS State Tournament game in the coliseum.  I believe he may have played for Spencer NE.  He said his game was actually played on the stage??? 

I also was coach for a day for a game against Missouri @ the Bob.  It was a pretty cool experience.  The last thing Danny told me as we walked out of the locker room was to keep my mouth shut and enjoy the game... .  And then said something akin to 'the only s** *f a b***h that gets technicals on my bench is me.  Needless to say, I enjoyed the experience, kept my mouth shut and realized I could see the game much more clearer from my higher level seats :)

I played at the Coliseum in 1971 at the state tournament against Lincoln East.  Unfortunately lost to Kent Reckaway's team.  He made like 20 some free throws.  The ref's loved him.  If we breathed on him the ref's called a foul.

Were you on a Hastings team? I remember that Hastings's Steve White give em all that they could handle. I might be getting some of those teams confused, but didn't Hastings have like 3 or 4 shots to win the game and couldn't get any of them to drop.

I played at the Coliseum in 1971 at the state tournament against Lincoln East.  Unfortunately lost to Kent Reckaway's team.  He made like 20 some free throws.  The ref's loved him.  If we breathed on him the ref's called a foul.

Were you on a Hastings team? I remember that Hastings's Steve White give em all that they could handle. I might be getting some of those teams confused, but didn't Hastings have like 3 or 4 shots to win the game and couldn't get any of them to drop.

No, I was on the Alliance team. Lincoln east won the championship that year on a half court shot.  I'm not sure who they played. Could of been Hastings.

I played at the Coliseum in 1971 at the state tournament against Lincoln East. Unfortunately lost to Kent Reckaway's team. He made like 20 some free throws. The ref's loved him. If we breathed on him the ref's called a foul.

No, I was on the Alliance team. Lincoln east won the championship that year on a half court shot. I'm not sure who they played. Could of been Hastings.

Papillion

I can remember thinking how nice and big the locker room was (we were in the visitor room that the Husker opponents would use) at the Bob and then we were put in the other lockers the next time and thinking how small and crappy they were compared to the main lockers.  The floor also felt like it had a lot of bounce to it and it almost felt soft.

I played my intramural games in the Coliseum, but it was frequently a debacle.

One particularly bad game that we had was against The Realist Ballas (which happened to be part of the Husker football team!) My dorm floor's team's big man got DQ'd (i.e., was whistled for his fifth personal foul) with 5 minutes left in the first half, and the plug was pulled in the second half after their team went up 62-22. 

And then in a playoff game the next year, on that same court, my team only had 3 people show up, and so clearly we got annihilated (20-61, slaughter rule invoked).

In my senior year, the same thing happened versus Mercy Flush, but we somehow "only" lost by 26 (37-63), even though I was running on fumes the whole game after spending all my energy at the women's basketball senior day game earlier that evening.

Yep, though I love basketball, I'm terrible at it.

Our H.S. team (Aurora Huskies) won the 1987 Class B State Basketball tournament, defeating Pius X in the finals when Jimmer Noel was one of their better players. I wouldn't say "I played" but I was a bench-worthy player. The years I played thereafter, we were not terribly good.  The following season Aurora was 11-8 but lost n the districts. Then disaster struck,while I balled out (coincidentally). lol

Played quite a bit of pick-up ball in the Coliseum. Sweet venue, wish I could have alive when the team knocked off Wilt the Stilt.

Our H.S. team (Aurora Huskies) won the 1987 Class B State Basketball tournament, defeating Pius X in the finals when Jimmer Noel was one of their better players. I wouldn't say "I played" but I was a bench-worthy player. The years I played thereafter, we were not terribly good.  The following season Aurora was 11-8 but lost n the districts. Then disaster struck,while I balled out (coincidentally). lol

Played quite a bit of pick-up ball in the Coliseum. Sweet venue, wish I could have alive when the team knocked off Wilt the Stilt.

Think dad and mom were at that game.  And no Silver, never kicked the moose!