WBB: Game #12 vs Oral Roberts

Row6Seat10

Nebraska Cornhuskers (8-3) vs. Oral Roberts Golden Eagles (3-5)

Thursday, Dec. 20, 7:05 p.m. (Central)

Bob Devaney Sports Center (Lincoln, Neb.)

Premium Internet Video: BTN.com (premium subscribers)

Radio: 25-Station IMG College Husker Sports Network (PBP-Matt Coatney; Analyst-Jeff Griesch)

(KBBK 107.3 FM, Lincoln; KFFF 93.3 FM, Omaha; KHAS 1230 AM, Hastings; KNEB 94.1 FM, Scottsbluff)

Free Internet Audio: Huskers.com

Huskers Open Four-Game Home Stand with Golden Eagles

The Nebraska women's basketball team opens a four-game home stand by taking on Oral Roberts on Thursday, Dec. 20 at the Bob Devaney Sports Center in Lincoln. Tip-off between the Huskers (8-3) and the Golden Eagles (3-5) is set for 7:05 p.m.

The Huskers are coming off a 62-52 win at previously unbeaten South Florida on Sunday in Tampa. Jordan Hooper notched her fifth double-double of the year with 24 points and 14 rebounds, while Lindsey Moore added 20 points and three assists.

Oral Roberts comes to Lincoln with a 3-5 record, but the Golden Eagles' record might not be the best indicator of ORU's ability. The Golden Eagles have suffered road losses at defending national champion Baylor (94-56), at traditional powers Louisiana Tech (61-59) and Missouri State (73-72 OT), and at UALR (79-47), which advanced to the 2012 NCAA Tournament. ORU also suffered an 80-57 home loss to Arkansas, which won 24 games and advanced to the NCAA second round last season.

The Golden Eagles' starting five features three senior starters, including one of the most prolific scorers and defensive players in NCAA history. Kevi Luper, a 5-10 senior guard from Adair, Okla., is one of only 74 NCAA Division I players in history to score 2,400 career points. Luper has nearly a full season to add to her amazing scoring total of 2,453 points in 103 career games.

Nebraska is 4-0 all-time in the series with Oral Roberts, including a 70-51 victory in 2009, the most recent meeting between the two schools.

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers

3 - Hailie Sample - 6-1 - So. - F

23 - Emily Cady - 6-2 - So. - F

35 - Jordan Hooper - 6-2 - Jr. - F

00 - Lindsey Moore - 5-9 - Sr. - G

24 - Rachel Theriot - 6-0 - Fr. - G

Oral Roberts Golden Eagles

3 - Taylor Cooper - 6-0 - Fr. - F

42 - Sarah Shelton - 6-3 - Jr. - C

13 - Savanna Buck - 6-0 - Sr. - G

15 - Kevi Luper - 5-10 - Sr. - G

22 - Jaci Bigham - 5-6 - Sr. - G

Lindsey Moore (1,331) and Jordan Hooper (1,281) are closing in on becoming just the fourth set of active teammates in Nebraska history with more than 1,300 points. Moore, who became the 13th player in NU history to reach 1,300 points, needs 47 points to catch former teammate Cory Montgomery (2007-10, 1,378 points) in 12th place on the Husker career scoring list. Hooper, a 6-2 forward from Alliance, Neb., needs three points to catch Janet Smith (1,284, 1979-82) in 14th place on the NU all-time list and 19 points to reach 1,300.

Huskers Open Home Stand with ORU ....Huskers.com.

I haven't heard anything on why Brandi Jeffery hasn't got very much playing time has anybody else? She only played 2 minutes against South Florida, she's way too valuable to be sitting on the pine. You just don't go from starting the first few games to seeing limited minutes unless your hurt somehow. :angry:

Meanwhile the Journal Star has a nice write up on Tear'a Laudermill this morning. Here's the link on the Laudermill article, but be careful when you click on it as it may require a subscription.

Huskers win it 80-67. Really sloppy second half after a good first half. That sloppiness most likely due to the fact the scrubs were out there on the floor a majority of the time the second half. Still need to keep focus for 40 minutes. JHoop with a big night scoring 33 points and grabbing 9 rebounds the game started out with her knocking down the first 7 points. Thought for awhile that she would have a double double at the 10 minute mark of the first half. Lindsey Moore continues to be the the most consistent on this team pouring in 15 to go along with 8 assists. Although she had a couple of unfocused turnovers.

What we learned tonight was that Tear'a Laudermill needs to be put in the starting line up, and Brandi Jeffery needs to be first off the bench. Those two both provided a spark for us when they were on the floor. Especially Tee. She's really making herself into a complete player especially on the defensive side of the ball. It was a good game for Maurer to see so many minutes because she's not going to see many at all when conference play comes around.

Emily C is still struggling on the offensive side of the ball and it's noticeably making her frustrated. Katie Simon had the flue. Little Sadie Murren made the most of her time out there hitting a big 3 pointer. I think the loudest cheer of the night came when H Sample nailed a long three pointer.

ORU's Kevi Luper finished with 22 to add to her already amazing career total.

Great to see Noah121 back and doing what he does best!

Good crowd for a cold slick street kind of night, 2914 total.

We shot really well tonight, especially 17-18 on free throws. For us to win, Hooper has to continue to have these big nights. I agree with you Row that Tear'a probably needs to start. She's giving us a lot more than Theriot is at this point. If Tear'a can continue to play great defense and play under control on offense, she really helps us. Row, I guess I disagree with you on Jeffery. I didn['t see her do anything special. What happened with Theriot only playing a few minutes? Was she sick?

Our defense was really bad in the second half. Oral Roberts continually had easy lay ups or easy short shots. There was no defensive help whatsoever. But I will take the wins however we get them.

Longtime the reason I like Jeffery is that I consider her, Lindsey and Tee as our best defenders and most experienced players at the guard. Obviously, Meghin Williams is usually the first off the bench at the 16 minute mark usually in for Jordan. And usually within a minute the first guard substitute comes in. The past few games the first guard in is Tee followed by Sadie Murren and Brandi just sits there on the bench until around the 5 minute mark and then only got to play at most a minute.

Theriot hasn't proven to me that she can defend the dribble drive or be much of a threat on offense. She gets beat off the dribble or gets caught behind screens way too much. Maybe it's because of her bone splinter in her foot that's hampering her play I'm not sure. But right now she's not healthy enough to be starting for the Huskers. She didn't play very much last night as she re-injured her foot about 5 minutes into the game.

I was impressed with our teamwork and chemistry, but the second-half struggles were quite annoying, even though I know the game was not in doubt after halftime. The careless turnovers made me think that I was back at Northwestern.

And, it's hard to fully focus on the game when I am also catching up with a friend at the game :P

You just don't go from starting the first few games to seeing limited minutes unless your hurt somehow

Didn't I ask this question a few weeks ago and the only response was that she was away on family matters. Her PT has dropped ever sense she was replaced in the starting lineup Theriot. I think she is hurt as there where two games she didn't even play.