2018 SG Aguek Arop -> San Diego St

32 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

how is that the same? we forced aguek out by telling him to go to prep school. morrow left on his own.

my point is that miles told aguek he wasn't ready to play here, but then goes and gets thorir who is not ready to play here. kind of confusing.

and now aguek is getting some big offers, and he wanted to be at nebraska.

Hindsight is 20/20.

1 hour ago, TimSmiles said:

how is that the same? we forced aguek out by telling him to go to prep school. morrow left on his own.

my point is that miles told aguek he wasn't ready to play here, but then goes and gets thorir who is not ready to play here. kind of confusing.

and now aguek is getting some big offers, and he wanted to be at nebraska.

It was at different times.  That is my thing.  It isn't like we asked Aguek to go the prep route on Tuesday and then signed Thorir on Wednesday the next day.  It was Apples and Oranges different times.  Yes, they both were projects, but it was not the same situation at the time each was asked their questions.  Thorir was available at a time when we had a scholarship to use and we used it.  

Aguek is also a different player now than when we asked him to go the prep route.

3 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

we forced out a project and added another project is the point i'm making.

and now the project we forced out is improving.

I realize that.  I am pointing out the fact that the "project" we forced out, and the "project" we took are two different situations, at two different times, that have nothing to do with one another.  It isn't like Aguek was available to sign and start when we signed Thorir.  It isn't like we replaced Aguek with Thorir.  It isn't like we said "Let's drop Aguek now and sign Thorir."

Why does it matter if we replaced a "project" with a "project anyways?"  If Aguek comes, he plays as much as Thorir this year.  A project is a project... doesn't matter where they are from.  I personally think Thorir has just as much upside as Aguek in terms of being a project.

10 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

Will Miles get an apology and thank you letter from Chubick for basically telling him and Arop the truth and giving him the best advice possible?  No he will not.  Same with all of the OWH people that lambasted him for pushing him to the best option.

This.  Very much this.  Everyone is very high of him now because he is doing what Miles told him to do in the first place.  To me, he will be able to improve much more this year than if he would have been on scholarship and getting limited minutes.  

3 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

Will Miles get an apology and thank you letter from Chubick for basically telling him and Arop the truth and giving him the best advice possible?  No he will not.  Same with all of the OWH people that lambasted him for pushing him to the best option.

I think this is a fair assessment and if it had truly been up to Aguek he would have taken Miles' advice and still be committed here.

I think it's also fair to say that the predicament Miles found himself in was of his own making: he had locked down a kid who might not develop (he seems to be) into a scholarship spot he might need (he didn't) because of an overreaction to missing out on the opportunity to land Patton (who we never would have landed anyway) by offering Aguek too early. 

Finally, I don't think that it's necessary to win this state in recruiting in order to be successful...in fact we could be quite successful without fielding a single player from the state. However, that doesn't mean we've done anything but mostly bungle our way through recruiting in this state; If it isn't taking the wrong guy like Deverell Biggs, then it's overreating by not looking at someone like Khyri Thomas because we don't want to recruit another Biggs.

9 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I think this is a fair assessment and if it had truly been up to Aguek he would have taken Miles' advice and still be committed here.

I think it's also fair to say that the predicament Miles found himself in was of his own making: he had locked down a kid who might not develop (he seems to be) into a scholarship spot he might need (he didn't) because of an overreaction to missing out on the opportunity to land Patton (who we never would have landed anyway) by offering Aguek too early. 

Finally, I don't think that it's necessary to win this state in recruiting in order to be successful...in fact we could be quite successful without fielding a single player from the state. However, that doesn't mean we've done anything but mostly bungle our way through recruiting in this state; If it isn't taking the wrong guy like Deverell Biggs, then it's overreating by not looking at someone like Khyri Thomas because we don't want to recruit another Biggs.

Exactly, it's a big picture issue. Something was incredibly deficient in our instate recruiting. Patton, Daum and Thomas didn't get offers. One's a lottery pick and the other two at least NBA draft possibilities. I don't give a @%## about whether anyone on the board thought they deserved scholarships. I care that our staff didn't seem to know or care that they existed.

14 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I care that our staff didn't seem to know or care that they existed.

The only one that's real fair to harp on is Thomas.

Patton could have gotten offers from Kansas, UCLA etc not to mention Nebraska if he had wanted to wait around. Dude was going to Creighton.

We knew about Daum and had him down for a look. He didn't look like an upper level D-1 guy. His offer sheet reflects that. He blossomed.

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, Jugular said:

I would love to add this kid. Looking at him now, Tim was spot on with having him spend a year at a prep school

Sucks that him or his “group” would never admit that Miles was right. For the record I think he was wrong(shoulda just offered him and redshirted him IMO) 

Edited by B-town hoopsfan

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Sucks that him or his “group” would never admit that Miles was right. For the record I think he was wrong(shoulda just offered him and redshirted him IMO) 

I wonder if Tim may have got some bad advice from a former member of the staff?