2018 SG Aguek Arop -> San Diego St

Question for all the Miles supporters: Does it matter to you at all that this basically ends our chances of signing a kid like Chang-- who is going to be a stud. Arops younger brother-- who is going to be a big time stud-- and other Omaha kids?? And if you say it won't affect those relationships--- you are outside your mind crazy.

Whats wrong with having your 'Nick Fuller' be an instate kid from the best Program in the state who is insanely popular with the top level recruits coming out of that city in the next 2-3 years?? Are we even going to fill his scholarship? Or just carry one over again?

Your sunshine pumping koolaid drinking naive comments are EXACTLY why our program has been trash and will continue to be....

My question is outside of Bruce Chubbick Sr and certain media, are the people directly involved with this truly upset/angered at Miles for this or more just disappointed? Is Arop himself pissed off at Miles or is he more upset/disappointed with the circumstances?

Looking at this from a distance it looks like Miles gave every opportunity for this to work out. When it became painfully obvious that Arop isn't a P5 prospect (people who think he is are absolutely out of their minds) Miles tried to shop Arop around to different programs to give the kid an opportunity to play somewhere. Miles was brutally honest to Arop in this situation. He gave him the chance to head to prep school and join the 2018 class and Arop didn't like this idea. Has there been any indication from this situation that Arop hates Miles because of this? Did I miss it?

Miles knows he has to win now. Is this a bad PR move? Sure. But it was a no win situation for Miles. It's either don't offer the kid until late and hear the moaning about ignoring an in-state kid or offer him early and risk this happening. And maybe, just maybe he knows that he can continue to pull in 4-star top 150 talent that will blow away any fringe talent this state has to offer. He can't really concern himself with how future undeveloped talent and their coaches feel about this move. In years 1 and 2, then yes he has to worry about upsetting the local players. Not now, there may not be time.

I would have taken: ....Justin Patton...... as roll guys off our bench + 3-5th starters in the past decade alone....

Watched Patton play. Nowhere close to division 1 offensively or defensively in my opinion.

Stop it… EE was the best player on the floor in probably 95% of the games he played in his senior year. This North kid was probably his own teams 4th best player (his team is one of the worst in the metro btw) and got torched by a 6'2 post guy when I watched him. He is NOT coming to Nebraska and if he does, it is a sign of how far away our program is….

FWIW I looked at his numbers for the game I saw him play

o points on 0-6 shooting (I recall at least 2 air balls)

3 rebounds

1 block

25 minutes

PLEASE STOP……

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would have taken: ....Justin Patton...... as roll guys off our bench + 3-5th starters in the past decade alone....

Watched Patton play. Nowhere close to division 1 offensively or defensively in my opinion.

Stop it… EE was the best player on the floor in probably 95% of the games he played in his senior year. This North kid was probably his own teams 4th best player (his team is one of the worst in the metro btw) and got torched by a 6'2 post guy when I watched him. He is NOT coming to Nebraska and if he does, it is a sign of how far away our program is….

3 rebounds

1 block

25 minutes

PLEASE STOP……

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://youtu.be/ypot3CYECwE

Ohhhhh

[quote name="Section_316" post="160383" timestamp="1472127777

Your sunshine pumping koolaid drinking naive comments are EXACTLY why our program has been trash and will continue to be....

Question for all the Miles haters:

What is the answer to Nebraska basketball being good? Nebraska basketball has sucked from the beginning of time. So what's the answer and how do fans become so impatient with a program that has never done anything?

This should have been a slow build from the beginning of Miles but he really hit the ground running, plugged all the right holes, got lucky and made the NCAA tournament in year 2. Recruiting has just now built to a point where Miles' first legitimate class is heading into its sophomore year with another legit class in behind that one and now people are ready to bail on Miles? This year will tell a lot on where we are headed but I really believe things will look different for Miles' and his tenure here after this season than it does right now. It takes time to take a perennial loser and flip that around. That is why I pump sunshine

What is the answer to Nebraska basketball being good? Nebraska basketball has sucked from the beginning of time. So what's the answer and how do fans become so impatient with a program that has never done anything?

This should have been a slow build from the beginning of Miles but he really hit the ground running, plugged all the right holes, got lucky and made the NCAA tournament in year 2. Recruiting has just now built to a point where Miles' first legitimate class is heading into its sophomore year with another legit class in behind that one and now people are ready to bail on Miles? This year will tell a lot on where we are headed but I really believe things will look different for Miles' and his tenure here after this season than it does right now. It takes time to take a perennial loser and flip that around. That is why I pump sunshine

ajb I agree with everything other than that the program has never done anything.  Nee had a nice little run until health and laziness caused issues.  No it was not NCAA tournament wins but he got there fairly regularly and got an NIT title (yes I know it means No Important Teams)

Anybody know what kind of interest Arop is pulling? I've heard Denver has offered and that's about it. If he falls to a Summit League caliber school UNO has to grab him. There's enough low to mid level D1 talent in this 2017 class where UNO could fill their whole class without leaving the state. (Arop, Wingett, Chandler, Strom, Akinwole)

Anybody know what kind of interest Arop is pulling? I've heard Denver has offered and that's about it. If he falls to a Summit League caliber school UNO has to grab him. There's enough low to mid level D1 talent in this 2017 class where UNO could fill their whole class without leaving the state. (Arop, Wingett, Chandler, Strom, Akinwole)

I don't follow offers and such very much but I'm guessing he'd totes would have a stack of offers but everyone was told to back off and now Miles screwed him over and whatnot. I mean now he might have to go to a juco or god forbid a prep school to drum up interest... :ph34r:

I don't follow offers and such very much but I'm guessing he'd totes would have a stack of offers but everyone was told to back off and now Miles screwed him over and whatnot. I mean now he might have to go to a juco or god forbid a prep school to drum up interest... :ph34r:

I have to think that the possibility of going to a prep school is still going to be on the table indefinitely until he commits to go to a University in 2017

So...what if this was an honest offer to Arop and not, as it was interpreted, a way for Miles to back out of an offer for him?  If Arop was on the team next year, he would either redshirt or not see many minutes - he's not going to be playing any at the 2, if you try to make him a "stretch 4" he's really undersized, and minutes at the 3 will be taken by Roby, McVeigh, and Palmer.  (Unless the roster falls apart between then and now, in which case you're probably looking at a coaching change anyway.)

So what would be best for his career?  Redshirting, not playing, going to a prep school and then to Nebraska, going to a junior college, going to a Summit league team, or going to a mid-tier Missouri Valley or Mountain West team?  Because that's probably the options available.  There are a lot of good 6'5" high school post players with undeveloped perimeter games that end up being solid college players, but you generally don't see them starting out their careers as contributors on a major conference team.  So maybe his best option, in the long run, would have been to take Miles up on the offer.

Totally agree.  This was to be a slow build and wayyyyy to many people are looking at records and not process.  The line is so fine between 12-18 and 19-11.  We were in most every game last year. To me the process was:

1) Build with transfers catch some fire and recruit attention.  Done with Petteway, Pitchford and the NCAA run

2) Start bringing in legit classes and talent.  We have 2 back to back solid and deep classes. (We may start to have line-ups where 5 guys have to be guarded on offense and on defense we don't always have to double the post)

3) Build a consistent winner. Roby should leave here with an NCAA win after 4 years.  This is my timeframe.  8-10 years for a coach as long as I can see trending.  I see a talent trend that has me confident.

Now was part of the plan to piss off Bruce Chubick senior?  No. But 1) Miles has always been very direct and I believe he did not think Arop had developed 2) I think the not adding a contract year by Eichorst added some fear fuel.

So...what if this was an honest offer to Arop and not, as it was interpreted, a way for Miles to back out of an offer for him?  If Arop was on the team next year, he would either redshirt or not see many minutes - he's not going to be playing any at the 2, if you try to make him a "stretch 4" he's really undersized, and minutes at the 3 will be taken by Roby, McVeigh, and Palmer.  (Unless the roster falls apart between then and now, in which case you're probably looking at a coaching change anyway.)

So what would be best for his career?  Redshirting, not playing, going to a prep school and then to Nebraska, going to a junior college, going to a Summit league team, or going to a mid-tier Missouri Valley or Mountain West team?  Because that's probably the options available.  There are a lot of good 6'5" high school post players with undeveloped perimeter games that end up being solid college players, but you generally don't see them starting out their careers as contributors on a major conference team.  So maybe his best option, in the long run, would have been to take Miles up on the offer.

From what I know this was an honest offer....there is/was a prep school lined up and Arop and the Arop's family wasn't going to have to pay for it. Do you line that stuff up because you really just want the guy to go away?

3 rebounds

1 block

25 minutes

PLEASE STOP……

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He clearly got better... I think/hope a D1 Coach making 2+ Million should be able to evaluate talent/upside better than me... especially with how damn desperate we were/have been for Big guys

He clearly got better... I think/hope a D1 Coach making 2+ Million should be able to evaluate talent/upside better than me... especially with how damn desperate we were/have been for Big guys

But the time that you saw him is the same time Miles would have last been able to see him.  He supposedly got better after the season ended, had an amazing camp at Creighton and they offered him on the spot and he accepted.  What was Miles supposed to go off of?  He was seeing the same film of him not doing anything that you saw in person.  They more than likely would have wanted to see him play in the summer circuit but by that time of improvement he was already in the fold at CU.  

3 rebounds

1 block

25 minutes

PLEASE STOP……

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well clearly your talent evaluation in the rear view mirror is 20/20.  JP blew up late, AFTER Creighton offered.  You can criticize Miles all you want but he wasn't the only D1 coach that missed JP until late in the process.  He didn't even have a UNO offer that I remember.

For all those that are crying about Arop being screwed over because of timing, I don't seem to remember too many people thinking that Jordy was in a bad position by waiting until the spring signing period.  Even in the spring we see schools looking for talent with scholarships to fill.  Bottom line, if the kid is good enough to play at a school, they still have every opportunity to sign him.  For Pete's sake we haven't even hit the fall signing period.  If he's as good as Dirk and everyone else thinks he is he should have a big offer list in the next few weeks.

3 rebounds

1 block

25 minutes

PLEASE STOP……

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That unknown is sort of the point though. We don't know if Arop will develop into a perimeter oriented guard/forward much like we don't know that Chang nor Arop's brother will develop into P5 D-1 players nor whether or not they would come here regardless of what Aguek does.

I get your point about naive koolaid drinking comments but it's not like your gloom and doom we're screwed comments are somehow more reliable.

Question for all the Miles supporters: Does it matter to you at all that this basically ends our chances of signing a kid like Chang-- who is going to be a stud. Arops younger brother-- who is going to be a big time stud-- and other Omaha kids?? And if you say it won't affect those relationships--- you are outside your mind crazy.

Whats wrong with having your 'Nick Fuller' be an instate kid from the best Program in the state who is insanely popular with the top level recruits coming out of that city in the next 2-3 years?? Are we even going to fill his scholarship? Or just carry one over again?

My question is outside of Bruce Chubbick Sr and certain media, are the people directly involved with this truly upset/angered at Miles for this or more just disappointed? Is Arop himself pissed off at Miles or is he more upset/disappointed with the circumstances?

They're pissed.  Really pissed.  The Omaha AAU community is pissed, Chubick and HS coaches are pissed and the Sudanese community is really pissed.  How often do you think Chauncy Billips goes on local talk shows?  As Benning said yesterday (and his kid is in the AAU scene, so he would know), "Miles may never recover (in terms of recruiting) from the Omaha metro over this."  Chubick, who obviously has long ties to the Nebraska program, said all "bridges have been burned" as far as he is concerned.

i don't mind. there isn't much talent in nebraska in the grand scheme of things.

as for fuller, he set high school scoring records in minnesota. he was a better prospect than arop.

They're pissed. Really pissed. The Omaha AAU community is pissed, Chubick and HS coaches are pissed and the Sudanese community is really pissed. How often do you think Chauncy Billips goes on local talk shows? As Benning said yesterday (and his kid is in the AAU scene, so he would know), "Miles may never recover (in terms of recruiting) from the Omaha metro over this." Chubick, who obviously has long ties to the Nebraska program, said all "bridges have been burned" as far as he is concerned.

Ok so they're pissed. Pissed off an entire city which may produce a legit P5 talent once a decade. I think at this point Miles realizes he has to make it without Omaha or not make it at all. Arop wasn't some program changer that was going to carry us over the top. I'm not sure Miles cares or can afford to care that he pissed off the Omaha bball scene. His staffs recruiting has made major headway in other much more talent rich cities such as Chicago. A perceived bad PR move in Bluejayland isn't going to lose him the job, but not winning will. Bottom line, Arop being on the squad next year wasn't going to help him win but another stud recruit may.

My counter argument against the Arop missed his prime recruiting window (which I partly agree with) is that even if teams weren't going to games to directly watch him, they were still going to watch his teammates and his opponents. So if he was making plays and seemed like a really solid to good player I guarantee you coaches are going to remember that and be in contact with him.

I have to think that the possibility of going to a prep school is still going to be on the table indefinitely until he commits to go to a University in 2017

I agree with this yes.

I agree with this yes.

Seems way too reasonable for a message board for anyone to agree to a logical statement made by another poster on said message board.  :ph34r:  ^_^

They're pissed. Really pissed. The Omaha AAU community is pissed, Chubick and HS coaches are pissed and the Sudanese community is really pissed. How often do you think Chauncy Billips goes on local talk shows? As Benning said yesterday (and his kid is in the AAU scene, so he would know), "Miles may never recover (in terms of recruiting) from the Omaha metro over this." Chubick, who obviously has long ties to the Nebraska program, said all "bridges have been burned" as far as he is concerned.

Ok so they're pissed. Pissed off an entire city which may produce a legit P5 talent once a decade. I think at this point Miles realizes he has to make it without Omaha or not make it at all. Arop wasn't some program changer that was going to carry us over the top. I'm not sure Miles cares or can afford to care that he pissed off the Omaha bball scene. His staffs recruiting has made major headway in other much more talent rich cities such as Chicago. A perceived bad PR move in Bluejayland isn't going to lose him the job, but not winning will. Bottom line, Arop being on the squad next year wasn't going to help him win but another stud recruit may.

There are two kids from Omaha at Creighton and one playing at Georgetown with a fourth currently playing at Papio and a fifth playing at Boystown.

I agree with this yes.

Seems way too reasonable for a message board for anyone to agree to a logical statement made by another poster on said message board.  :ph34r:  ^_^

Crap I'm sorry. I'll try to remember that for next time. :)  ;)  :P  :D  :lol:  :(  :angry:  :mellow:  :huh:  ^_^  :o  B)  :rolleyes:  -_-  <_<  :wub:  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:  :ph34r: 

I might have gotten carried away with all the face things.

There are two kids from Omaha at Creighton and one playing at Georgetown with a fourth currently playing at Papio and a fifth playing at Boystown.

Ok so Agau had his chance here. Twice. I won't talk about the Creighton guys. And I did say 'legit P5 talent'.