2018 SG Aguek Arop -> San Diego St

Tim Miles / Nebraska did absolutely nothing wrong in this situation.

The issue here is that Nebraska could have had this conversation in the spring which potentially gives Arop more time to get himself recruited somewhere else at that time. I'm not sure there would be a lot less hard feelings though because regardless of when you're talking about changing the terms of a scholarship offer to the Nebraska POTY. As you can see, Miles and Nebraska lost some supporters today/yesterday.

I can see your point. And yes, Nebraska has lost some supporters "today". If Nebraska lands Paul White and/or fills the 2017 recruiting class with players on the level of Watson, Morrow, Jacobson, Roby, etc... Then I think the results on the court will speak for themselves and justify Nebraska in this. There will be a few Omaha high school basketball fans that will hold on to this longer, but most will forget about it once football season starts in a week. Tim Miles job = win games. And he probably has to make a huge jump in that department either this season, or the next. Otherwise he may be gone. He has to take the best players he can.

In the grand scheme of things winning basketball games >>>> making people in omaha basketball circles happy because fielding guys from Nebraska doesn't keep you employed, winning does.

Not entirely true.  Winning is definitely priority #1, 2 and 3, but there are a myriad of additional factors that come into play.  Momentum and trajectory are also important.  Coaches that can hang their hat on strong recruiting and young teams keep their jobs when coaches with similar records, but downward trajectories, lose theirs.  Appeasing donors is also part of that formula.  A guy like Bo Pelini has a shorter leash compared to someone who plays the fundraising game better.  And rolled into that concept is stuff like recruiting the right kind of kids-- kids that boosters are proud to have on the team. I.E. decent grades, don't get arrested, from in-state and/or local, etc.  

Winning covers a multitude of deficiencies.  But if you're not winning, you'd better be doing EVERYTHING else right.  Prior to this off-season, I'd say Miles was doing just that; but now he's whiffed on the majority of his top 2017 prospects, he just cut ties with a popular in-state kid, and he had a major fall-out with last year's best player.  Add that all up, and Miles' margin for error just shrunk tremendously.

It's probably a close call if the fallout was with the best player.  And if Lewis turns out to be a great hire, it will more than make up for the other sins you mention.  

Does anyone else just freaking hate Dirk Chatelian??? Here's a clip from today's Mad Chatter:

"He (Arop) could walk in to PBA tomorrow and crack Nebraska's rotation, partly bc Nebraska's rotation isn't very good."

What a clown. In what world would Arop be able to play over anyone in our rotation this year or even next year. And I'm not trying to knock Arop as I wanted him to come here but even I saw him as a redshirt guy who doesn't crack the lineup until his RSo or RJr year.

Gotta love the guy trying so hard to get clicks! :blink::ph34r:

Makes me appreciate good journalism that much more.

Yeah, it's basically sensational journalism. Get internet clicks for your website. Rinse. Repeat.

Wow, it makes one think Dirk has never watched a college or high school basketball.  The ignorance in his statement is mind-boggling.  

Does anyone else just freaking hate Dirk Chatelian??? Here's a clip from today's Mad Chatter:

"He (Arop) could walk in to PBA tomorrow and crack Nebraska's rotation, partly bc Nebraska's rotation isn't very good."

What a clown. In what world would Arop be able to play over anyone in our rotation this year or even next year. And I'm not trying to knock Arop as I wanted him to come here but even I saw him as a redshirt guy who doesn't crack the lineup until his RSo or RJr year.

Gotta love the guy trying so hard to get clicks! :blink::ph34r:

Makes me appreciate good journalism that much more.

Yeah, it's basically sensational journalism. Get internet clicks for your website. Rinse. Repeat.

Wow, it makes one think Dirk has never watched a college or high school basketball.  The ignorance in his statement is mind-boggling.  

Pandering to an ignorant "football-only" fanbase or an eastern Omaha mindset. Hmmm.

Barry Collier went the "local route" as well and got himself fired.  If you win games, people will forget all of this.  If you lose, people MAY bring it up.  People have a short memory about these things.  Could it potentially hurt getting a local kid to come here?  Possibly?  But Nick Bahe brings up that NU hasn't signed a local kids since 2002.  But who really at the time could have come in and helped a lot?  Maybe Josh Jones and Antoine Young?  But even then, they were playing in  the Valley which isn't the Big 12/B10.  Just my opinion.

Oh, Gessell could have helped for sure.  I'm sure I'm missing a few.  Bottom line is this, some of the kids didn't want to come here either.  That's the reality of it.  Not for a lack of effort always by the coaches.  But you don't coach D1 basketball and worry about hurting a few of the local fan bases feelings.  IF NU would go out and have a great year, nobody worries one bit about losing Arop.

Why is everyone saying Miles pulled his scholarship?  He didn't.

Was a scholarship going to be available for Arop in the fall of 2017?  NO!!!  That, by definition, means the scholarship offer had been pulled.

Heck, who is to say that a scholarship would have even been available even if Arop finished a year of prep school?  If the reason that this all went down is because the staff didn't think Arop was good enough, and that seems to be the prevailing theory, it seems likely that Arop wouldn't be good enough after a year of prep school either.  As Chauncy Billips said on 1620, unlike other kids that go the prep school route, he wouldn't have been headed to prep school because he didn't have the required grades or because he was trying to get additional exposure (P5 scholarship offers).

he wouldn't have been headed to prep school because he didn't have the required grades or because he was trying to get additional exposure (P5 scholarship offers).

Is there going to be a P5 offer though for 2017? More power to the kid but I'm not sure it happens.

Why is everyone saying Miles pulled his scholarship?  He didn't.

Was a scholarship going to be available for Arop in the fall of 2017?  NO!!!  That, by definition, means the scholarship offer had been pulled.

Heck, who is to say that a scholarship would have even been available even if Arop finished a year of prep school?  If the reason that this all went down is because the staff didn't think Arop was good enough, and that seems to be the prevailing theory, it seems likely that Arop wouldn't be good enough after a year of prep school either.  As Chauncy Billips said on 1620, unlike other kids that go the prep school route, he wouldn't have been headed to prep school because he didn't have the required grades or because he was trying to get additional exposure (P5 scholarship offers).

Actually that, by definition, is not what I claimed so you are entirely incorrect.  He didn't pull the scholarship offer because there was still a scholarship offer.  The kid missed an entire year of development.  That matters when the skillset was behind the athleticism in the first place.  

As for your second paragraph, again, that is speculation.  I don't blame anyone for being annoyed or skeptical, but to say the scholarship was pulled is incorrect, by definition.  

Tim Miles / Nebraska did absolutely nothing wrong in this situation.

The issue here is that Nebraska could have had this conversation in the spring which potentially gives Arop more time to get himself recruited somewhere else at that time. I'm not sure there would be a lot less hard feelings though because regardless of when you're talking about changing the terms of a scholarship offer to the Nebraska POTY. As you can see, Miles and Nebraska lost some supporters today/yesterday.

I can see your point. And yes, Nebraska has lost some supporters "today". If Nebraska lands Paul White and/or fills the 2017 recruiting class with players on the level of Watson, Morrow, Jacobson, Roby, etc... Then I think the results on the court will speak for themselves and justify Nebraska in this. There will be a few Omaha high school basketball fans that will hold on to this longer, but most will forget about it once football season starts in a week. Tim Miles job = win games. And he probably has to make a huge jump in that department either this season, or the next. Otherwise he may be gone. He has to take the best players he can.

In the grand scheme of things winning basketball games >>>> making people in omaha basketball circles happy because fielding guys from Nebraska doesn't keep you employed, winning does.

Not entirely true.  Winning is definitely priority #1, 2 and 3, but there are a myriad of additional factors that come into play.  Momentum and trajectory are also important.  Coaches that can hang their hat on strong recruiting and young teams keep their jobs when coaches with similar records, but downward trajectories, lose theirs.  Appeasing donors is also part of that formula.  A guy like Bo Pelini has a shorter leash compared to someone who plays the fundraising game better.  And rolled into that concept is stuff like recruiting the right kind of kids-- kids that boosters are proud to have on the team. I.E. decent grades, don't get arrested, from in-state and/or local, etc.  

Winning covers a multitude of deficiencies.  But if you're not winning, you'd better be doing EVERYTHING else right.  Prior to this off-season, I'd say Miles was doing just that; but now he's whiffed on the majority of his top 2017 prospects, he just cut ties with a popular in-state kid, and he had a major fall-out with last year's best player.  Add that all up, and Miles' margin for error just shrunk tremendously.

Agree winning covers deficiencies.  Agree that donors need to be happy.  If cutting a prospect you did not develop like the staff had hoped upset a few donors, they will be back on the wagon if Miles wins.  Pretty simple.

As for for the fall out with his best player, see the comment below yours about it being more about dad living vicariously through his son.

Miles will be gone soon enough. What an awful decision.... Omaha has produced 13 D1 players who started in the past 6 years... one started a game for Nebraska. Thats a JOKE

How many of those players started for major conference teams?  Also I feel like you're including Deverell Biggs and Akoy Agau in that list, which is also a JOKE

I can't believe people are worked up over this.  

A) We aren't a charity, players have to develop and continue to earn their scholarship throughout high school and college.  

B) In state talent also rarely works out.  Mike Gessel is basically the only in state player to make any sort of impact at a major conference school the last 10 years, and that impact was 8ppg on less than 40% shooting.  Wow, incredible.

C) Miles doesn't need to recruit Omaha to be successful.  He needs to get the best players regardless of where they're from.  If we start winning, local coaches will forget about this and want their players to play for him.

Were pretty far away from winning right now. The GPOY in the state as a junior in the only city w/ any talent in your state and 3-4 serious high major offer guys coming out in the next 2-3 years is worthy of an offer-- especially when he's a 3.5 gpa hard working bulldog.

screw miles

Interesting to see the mixed reactions on the bird this morning. When I first heard the news I was a little in shock, but then I go to thinking about it and I am ok with this move.

1. The truth hurts sometimes and if the truth means you aren't good enough, than you aren't good enough. It's as plain and simple as that. We've all been told that before and the sun still comes up tomorrow.

2. Yes the timing sucks, but that's the nature of the business. Don't care what people say, White leaving and this are two totally different things.

3. I don't give a darn if we never see an in state player or not. Now don't get me wrong, if the talent is good enough then by all means recruit that talent. There comes a point when the focus needs to be on winning games though. Was Arop going to get us to that point? In the coaches eyes no and I support that.

4. Both parties will be fine. Losing "fans" because of this tells me that those people were not really "fans" to begin with. Besides, if we start winning games like we all think we should or could, the loss of fans now will be offset later.

was sergej good enough? 

Miles has done zero outside of a 12 game stretch at the end of one season. If we want to keep wallowing in this year after year he will be around. If we want this turned around, he must go!

Miles must go because we let a 0 star unranked recruit know that he wasn't going to get much time here as there were better prospects?

Or Miles must go because we hurt a few feelings up north?

Or Miles must go because he is getting better out of state talent than instate talent?

Or Miles must go because he has brought the best talent that we have seen in years in?

Or am I missing something?

Miles must go cause were not making any progress on the court-- and his positive impact off the court has diminished. Just lost our best player a month ago cause TM is a dbag... am i missing something?

Interesting to see the mixed reactions on the bird this morning. When I first heard the news I was a little in shock, but then I go to thinking about it and I am ok with this move.

1. The truth hurts sometimes and if the truth means you aren't good enough, than you aren't good enough. It's as plain and simple as that. We've all been told that before and the sun still comes up tomorrow.

2. Yes the timing sucks, but that's the nature of the business. Don't care what people say, White leaving and this are two totally different things.

3. I don't give a darn if we never see an in state player or not. Now don't get me wrong, if the talent is good enough then by all means recruit that talent. There comes a point when the focus needs to be on winning games though. Was Arop going to get us to that point? In the coaches eyes no and I support that.

4. Both parties will be fine. Losing "fans" because of this tells me that those people were not really "fans" to begin with. Besides, if we start winning games like we all think we should or could, the loss of fans now will be offset later.

was sergej good enough? 

Nope and maybe, just maybe Miles learned from the mistake.

was sergej good enough?

No. And that's why he didn't play. And that's why he transferred. I think most people looking at this objectively can see that Arop is in a better spot right now than he would be in if he was having to transfer 1-2 seasons down the road, because he can't get on the floor. In that scenario, he would have to sit out a season after transferring. Now he can find a school where he can get on the floor, without having to transfer and without wasting a season sitting out his transfer year.

Miles has done zero outside of a 12 game stretch at the end of one season. If we want to keep wallowing in this year after year he will be around. If we want this turned around, he must go!

Miles must go because we let a 0 star unranked recruit know that he wasn't going to get much time here as there were better prospects?

Or Miles must go because he is getting better out of state talent than instate talent?

Or Miles must go because he has brought the best talent that we have seen in years in?

Miles must go cause were not making any progress on the court-- and his positive impact off the court has diminished. Just lost our best player a month ago cause TM is a dbag... am i missing something?

So I am getting a feeling your not happy with where Nebraska basketball is or is going right now, am I correct?

Okay Section maybe there is more to White bailing than just a helicopter dad.  You seem to think so, without the childish name calling tell me why White moving on is Miles fault and not just his dad being over bearing.

I would have taken: Josh Jones, Antoine Young, Deverell Biggs, Mike Gessell, elliot ellioson, Kyrie Thomas, Justin Patton, Tre-shawn thurman, Tre-deon Hollins, Wes Eikmeier, Mitch Albers, Akoy Agau, & Jesse Carr as roll guys off our bench + 3-5th starters in the past decade alone....