2018 SG Aguek Arop -> San Diego St

Tim Miles / Nebraska did absolutely nothing wrong in this situation.

The issue here is that Nebraska could have had this conversation in the spring which potentially gives Arop more time to get himself recruited somewhere else at that time. I'm not sure there would be a lot less hard feelings though because regardless of when you're talking about changing the terms of a scholarship offer to the Nebraska POTY.  As you can see, Miles and Nebraska lost some supporters today/yesterday.

To those stating Miles should have cut him loose before the AAU season so other coaches could have evaluated him, one question. Yes he was committed to us but if he was good enough to play big time ball why would that stop others from still go look?  I have a hard buying if the kid was good enough that Coach Self would just say "well he's committed to Nebraska so no sense in watching him play".  I would hope our coaches would keep looking at kids we want even if they have committed somewhere else.

Wow there is a lot more sunshine on this board this morning than I expected.  First I heard of this was reading the paper this morning and it was a slap in the face.  I was not terribly high on Arop at this point - but it is not like he was going to be the worst player Miles has recruited here.  I just think the PR from this is horrible for the program and for Miles.   We obviously can't live on Nebraska talent - but you also can't piss off the coach of the top HS program in the state either.  Even more so when that coach is the father of a Husker legend and to this point I think a big supporter of the program.   I have been a huge Miles supporter - and still am - but I don't see this development as being anything but bad for the program, and a mistake that Miles can ill afford to make when he already has a tenuous relationship with his AD.

You might have spoken too soon. Seems the vitriol is popping up in full force now.

Right?  Looks like it's getting extra salty in here now.

Yes this will hurt Arops recruiting to some degree but either way if his AAU play was that good other coaches would have taken notice and will definitely remember to give him a call.

With that being said, I really wish we would have kept Arop as he is a great defender and has very good athleticism. He will be a very good college basketball player by the end of his collegiate career.

The issue here is that Nebraska could have had this conversation in the spring which potentially gives Arop more time to get himself recruited somewhere else at that time. I'm not sure there would be a lot less hard feelings though because regardless of when you're talking about changing the terms of a scholarship offer to the Nebraska POTY. As you can see, Miles and Nebraska lost some supporters today/yesterday.

I can see your point. And yes, Nebraska has lost some supporters "today". If Nebraska lands Paul White and/or fills the 2017 recruiting class with players on the level of Watson, Morrow, Jacobson, Roby, etc... Then I think the results on the court will speak for themselves and justify Nebraska in this. There will be a few Omaha high school basketball fans that will hold on to this longer, but most will forget about it once football season starts in a week. Tim Miles job = win games. And he probably has to make a huge jump in that department either this season, or the next. Otherwise he may be gone. He has to take the best players he can.

To those stating Miles should have cut him loose before the AAU season so other coaches could have evaluated him, one question. Yes he was committed to us but if he was good enough to play big time ball why would that stop others from still go look?

Because that is the way the system works for basketball.  I realize that this is different from football in which many Nebraska fans are more informed.  If you are a coach going to an AAU tourney, there are multiple games going on at once.  You have to pick and choose which games you want to watch depending on available prospects.  If you have interest in a kid but are told he is a "solid commit" to his instate school, why use your limited time watching and evaluating him when you can watch a different kid that you feel you may actually have a chance of landing? 

Listen to the interview of coach Chubick and the other coaches on 1620.  It was stated that other coaches had contacted Chubick about potentially recruiting Arop, but were told to "back off - the kid is already committed to Nebraska."

To those stating Miles should have cut him loose before the AAU season so other coaches could have evaluated him, one question. Yes he was committed to us but if he was good enough to play big time ball why would that stop others from still go look?  I have a hard buying if the kid was good enough that Coach Self would just say "well he's committed to Nebraska so no sense in watching him play".  I would hope our coaches would keep looking at kids we want even if they have committed somewhere else.

There is much more honor among thieves in basketball than there is in football

The issue here is that Nebraska could have had this conversation in the spring which potentially gives Arop more time to get himself recruited somewhere else at that time. I'm not sure there would be a lot less hard feelings though because regardless of when you're talking about changing the terms of a scholarship offer to the Nebraska POTY. As you can see, Miles and Nebraska lost some supporters today/yesterday.

I can see your point. And yes, Nebraska has lost some supporters "today". If Nebraska lands Paul White and/or fills the 2017 recruiting class with players on the level of Watson, Morrow, Jacobson, Roby, etc... Then I think the results on the court will speak for themselves and justify Nebraska in this. There will be a few Omaha high school basketball fans that will hold on to this longer, but most will forget about it once football season starts in a week. Tim Miles job = win games. And he probably has to make a huge jump in that department either this season, or the next. Otherwise he may be gone. He has to take the best players he can.

In the grand scheme of things winning basketball games >>>> making people in omaha basketball circles happy because fielding guys from Nebraska doesn't keep you employed, winning does.

Interesting to see the mixed reactions on the bird this morning. When I first heard the news I was a little in shock, but then I go to thinking about it and I am ok with this move.

1. The truth hurts sometimes and if the truth means you aren't good enough, than you aren't good enough. It's as plain and simple as that. We've all been told that before and the sun still comes up tomorrow.

2. Yes the timing sucks, but that's the nature of the business. Don't care what people say, White leaving and this are two totally different things.

3. I don't give a darn if we never see an in state player or not. Now don't get me wrong, if the talent is good enough then by all means recruit that talent. There comes a point when the focus needs to be on winning games though. Was Arop going to get us to that point? In the coaches eyes no and I support that.

4. Both parties will be fine. Losing "fans" because of this tells me that those people were not really "fans" to begin with. Besides, if we start winning games like we all think we should or could, the loss of fans now will be offset later.

Why is everyone saying Miles pulled his scholarship?  He didn't.  He wanted Arop to suit up a year later, probably because he missed an entire year of high school with a knee injury.  Now, one can speculate that this was a political decision, but that's all you can do--speculate.  

The kid is certainly good enough to get his prep school costs covered, so the money isn't an issue.  Is it a disappointing request from Miles?  Sure.  Is it "cutting him loose?"  I haven't seen where the evidence is for this.  Miles made the kid a disappointing offer, and the kid turned it down.  No one pulled a scholarship.  It is what it is.  

I think it's fine to be annoyed.  I don't think it's fine to assume truths with no evidence.  Maybe the kid isn't skilled enough yet.  From what I've seen, he has the athleticism and lacks ball skills.  The latter is exactly the kind of thing an extra year can accomplish.  Now, if Arop were to have taken this deal, gone to prep school, and then had an offer pulled, I'd be pissed at TM, but injuries happen, and sitting out an entire year of high school really hurts kids that lean on athleticism as the strength of their game, because they often lack fundamentals.  

In the grand scheme of things winning basketball games >>>> making people in omaha basketball circles happy because fielding guys from Nebraska doesn't keep you employed, winning does.

Not entirely true.  Winning is definitely priority #1, 2 and 3, but there are a myriad of additional factors that come into play.  Momentum and trajectory are also important.  Coaches that can hang their hat on strong recruiting and young teams keep their jobs when coaches with similar records, but downward trajectories, lose theirs.  Appeasing donors is also part of that formula.  A guy like Bo Pelini has a shorter leash compared to someone who plays the fundraising game better.  And rolled into that concept is stuff like recruiting the right kind of kids-- kids that boosters are proud to have on the team. I.E. decent grades, don't get arrested, from in-state and/or local, etc.  

Winning covers a multitude of deficiencies.  But if you're not winning, you'd better be doing EVERYTHING else right.  Prior to this off-season, I'd say Miles was doing just that; but now he's whiffed on the majority of his top 2017 prospects, he just cut ties with a popular in-state kid, and he had a major fall-out with last year's best player.  Add that all up, and Miles' margin for error just shrunk tremendously.

Does anyone else just freaking hate Dirk Chatelian??? Here's a clip from today's Mad Chatter:

"He (Arop) could walk in to PBA tomorrow and crack Nebraska's rotation, partly bc Nebraska's rotation isn't very good."

What a clown. In what world would Arop be able to play over anyone in our rotation this year or even next year. And I'm not trying to knock Arop as I wanted him to come here but even I saw him as a redshirt guy who doesn't crack the lineup until his RSo or RJr year.

Does anyone else just freaking hate Dirk Chatelian??? Here's a clip from today's Mad Chatter:

"He (Arop) could walk in to PBA tomorrow and crack Nebraska's rotation, partly bc Nebraska's rotation isn't very good."

What a clown. In what world would Arop be able to play over anyone in our rotation this year or even next year. And I'm not trying to knock Arop as I wanted him to come here but even I saw him as a redshirt guy who doesn't crack the lineup until his RSo or RJr year.

Gotta love the guy trying so hard to get clicks!  :blink:  :ph34r:

Miles has done zero outside of a 12 game stretch at the end of one season. If we want to keep wallowing in this year after year he will be around. If we want this turned around, he must go!

Miles must go because we let a 0 star unranked recruit know that he wasn't going to get much time here as there were better prospects?

Or Miles must go because we hurt a few feelings up north?

Or Miles must go because he is getting better out of state talent than instate talent?

Or Miles must go because he has brought the best talent that we have seen in years in?

Or am I missing something?

Gotta love the guy trying so hard to get clicks! :blink::ph34r:

Makes me appreciate good journalism that much more.

Miles has done zero outside of a 12 game stretch at the end of one season. If we want to keep wallowing in this year after year he will be around. If we want this turned around, he must go!

Miles must go because we let a 0 star unranked recruit know that he wasn't going to get much time here as there were better prospects?

Or Miles must go because we hurt a few feelings up north?

Or Miles must go because he is getting better out of state talent than instate talent?

Or Miles must go because he has brought the best talent that we have seen in years in?

Or am I missing something?

Spot on. People bashing Miles for keeping the programs best interests in mind are out of control.

Gotta love the guy trying so hard to get clicks! :blink::ph34r:

Makes me appreciate good journalism that much more.

Yeah, it's basically sensational journalism. Get internet clicks for your website. Rinse. Repeat.