2018 SG Aguek Arop -> San Diego St

How much of this is White leaving and us signing Evans, which takes up another 2017-18 scholarship?

Even though we needed a backup PG pretty bad I don't know that we sign Evens if White stays. Is Arop signing in a few months with that extra scholarship?

Was just about to mention this. turner needs to pan out

It's not "Evens" or "turner" - his name is Evan Taylor. He's 6'-5". I think he'll be a good fit.

I've got a dyslexic heart tonight

No worries. All is 'Even' Steven.

Evan 'Turner' is the one that gets me. lol ;)

Brother doesn't seem too put out:

Ed doesn't seem too broken up, either; Makoor re-tweeted this too:

Read those from Aguek's perspective, not NU's. He's gotta do what he's gotta do (turn down Miles' suggestion to go to prep school).

One thing that gets lost in this is that his family would have to pay for the year of prep school to keep his NU offer, which could be taken away a year from now as well. So it's not a matter of pride, this just really isn't an option for Aguek. 

Ideally you do things differently.  You take your time and build and develop kids.  Eichorst sent a message with Coach Miles' contract that he was in a win now situation.  If my math is correct than Miles does not even have a contract that extends past Arop's junior year, that makes it tough to bring in a kid and redshirt and develop him.  This year's sophomore class is the last that coach is going to be allowed to develop and where he is going to succeed or fail.  He is surrounding them with as much top 150 talent as possible and I don't blame him.

It is unfortunate because Arop is by all accounts a great kid and this is bad PR, but even Coach Chubick said in his salty 1620 interview this morning that this is like it is now Arop's junior year because of the year lost to injury.  To me this means that a "senior year" at a prep school might be required to develop and get higher level offers. 

The easy thing for NU to do would have been to bring Arop in and not take the PR hit, but our skinny coach is a backroom brawler who is likely feeling a little cornered.  My money is still on him to get it done.

Read those from Aguek's perspective, not NU's. He's gotta do what he's gotta do (turn down Miles' suggestion to go to prep school).

One thing that gets lost in this is that his family would have to pay for the year of prep school to keep his NU offer, which could be taken away a year from now as well. So it's not a matter of pride, this just really isn't an option for Aguek. 

I did read it from the brother's perspective. I doubt that either NU or Aguek Arop will suffer.

Stark reality of big-time hoops. Now, if NU was already doing well like the early-to-mid 90's, then a Bruce Chubick Jr. or John Turek makes a ton of sense. I do understand Chubick Sr. being annoyed, but it's a business and the situation is not going to crush him, Arop, or NU.

Wow there is a lot more sunshine on this board this morning than I expected.  First I heard of this was reading the paper this morning and it was a slap in the face.  I was not terribly high on Arop at this point - but it is not like he was going to be the worst player Miles has recruited here.  I just think the PR from this is horrible for the program and for Miles.   We obviously can't live on Nebraska talent - but you also can't piss off the coach of the top HS program in the state either.  Even more so when that coach is the father of a Husker legend and to this point I think a big supporter of the program.   I have been a huge Miles supporter - and still am - but I don't see this development as being anything but bad for the program, and a mistake that Miles can ill afford to make when he already has a tenuous relationship with his AD.

I did read it from the brother's perspective. I doubt that either NU or Aguek Arop will suffer.

Stark reality of big-time hoops. Now, if NU was already doing well like the early-to-mid 90's, then a Bruce Chubick Jr. or John Turek makes a ton of sense. I do understand Chubick Sr. being annoyed, but it's a business and the situation is not going to crush him, Arop, or NU.

First when we recruited Bruce Chubick Jr. the program was struggling more than it has been lately.  Things got better while he was here  - although obviously not saying he was solely or even primarily responsible for that change but he was a part.  That said - there has never been a time in NU's hoops history when we could not use a player like Bruce Chubiick Jr. (or John Turek for that matter).

Also I don't see how you can view those tweets as positive.  Seems to me they are both telling Aguek to keep his head up and things will work out for him in reopening his recruiting.  Don't see how it is positive to have other potential recruits telling a kid that they will be OK not coming to NU.

First when we recruited Bruce Chubick Jr. the program was struggling more than it has been lately.  Things got better while he was here  - although obviously not saying he was solely or even primarily responsible for that change but he was a part.  That said - there has never been a time in NU's hoops history when we could not use a player like Bruce Chubiick Jr. (or John Turek for that matter).

Also I don't see how you can view those tweets as positive.  Seems to me they are both telling Aguek to keep his head up and things will work out for him in reopening his recruiting.  Don't see how it is positive to have other potential recruits telling a kid that they will be OK not coming to NU.

Nebraska was doing just fine in the early 90's. I don't think the pipeline for in-state talent is anywhere near as good as back then.

Those seem more like ambivalence by his brother and good friends. Not certain of where his future may head, I guess I don't see it as positive or negative. That is life. Big-time hoops is a business. Everyone knows that is the case in this situation.

Wow there is a lot more sunshine on this board this morning than I expected.  First I heard of this was reading the paper this morning and it was a slap in the face.  I was not terribly high on Arop at this point - but it is not like he was going to be the worst player Miles has recruited here.  I just think the PR from this is horrible for the program and for Miles.   We obviously can't live on Nebraska talent - but you also can't piss off the coach of the top HS program in the state either.  Even more so when that coach is the father of a Husker legend and to this point I think a big supporter of the program.   I have been a huge Miles supporter - and still am - but I don't see this development as being anything but bad for the program, and a mistake that Miles can ill afford to make when he already has a tenuous relationship with his AD.

It's obviously not ideal PR.....but it's really nothing in the grand scheme.   Miles job depends on winning basketball games this year and possibly next....not what Chubbick thinks of him

The easy thing for NU to do would have been to bring Arop in and not take the PR hit, but our skinny coach is a backroom brawler who is likely feeling a little cornered.  My money is still on him to get it done.

I don't see that as the only option.  If Miles knew Arop wasn't a fit (and according to Chubick, Miles was shopping Arop around for awhile now) he could have cut Arop loose before the AAU season was over so that Arop could increase his chances of getting other offers.  It isn't really the pulling the scholarship that is the problem from a PR standpoint, it is the TIMING and the fact that Miles and staff were shopping him around without even telling Arop or his coaches.

Tim Miles / Nebraska did absolutely nothing wrong in this situation.

Bruce Chubick flaming Tim Miles publicly is a cheap move, because he knows Miles can't make any public response to defend himself.

Also, if people are looking at how this effects Arop... Isn't it better for Nebraska to let him know now that he isn't ready to contribute right away, so if he wants to maximize his college potential, he should first attend a prep school to refine his skills? Isn't that a better situation for Arop than if Nebraska were to bring him in with the 2017 recruiting class, then have him in a position where he will never make it off of the bench and not have a chance to contribute? Players in that situation end up transferring after 1-2 seasons, which means they have to sit out a season due to transfer rules.

Is it better for a player to go to prep school for 1 season to refine their game, or to sit out 1 season after their sophomore year of college, because they transferred due to lack of playing time?

In Chubick's phone interview, he literally just said multiple times "Arop basically is only going into his junior season, because of his injury".

To me, it seems pretty reasonable that Nebraska would want him to reclassify to 2018, so he can play his "senior year" of high school at a prep school, before starting his college career at Nebraska...

If people want to blame someone/something for this situation, then they should blame the nature of recruiting. The process has sped up to the point that coaches have to be in on kids years before they graduate high school, otherwise it is too late and they won't have enough time to make up ground on other schools that got in early. Trying to project players that far in advance is a tricky deal. If the recruiting process didn't have to start so soon, in order to keep up with other schools recruiting a player, then these situations would be far less likely. Also, this would be a non-issue if it didn't involve Chubick and an Omaha prospect.

You might have spoken too soon. Seems the vitriol is popping up in full force now.

Miles will be gone soon enough. What an awful decision.... Omaha has produced 13 D1 players who started in the past 6 years... one started a game for Nebraska. Thats a JOKE

How many of those players started for major conference teams?  Also I feel like you're including Deverell Biggs and Akoy Agau in that list, which is also a JOKE

I can't believe people are worked up over this.  

A) We aren't a charity, players have to develop and continue to earn their scholarship throughout high school and college.  

B) In state talent also rarely works out.  Mike Gessel is basically the only in state player to make any sort of impact at a major conference school the last 10 years, and that impact was 8ppg on less than 40% shooting.  Wow, incredible.

C) Miles doesn't need to recruit Omaha to be successful.  He needs to get the best players regardless of where they're from.  If we start winning, local coaches will forget about this and want their players to play for him.

To me, it seems pretty reasonable that Nebraska would want him to reclassify to 2018, so he can play his "senior year" of high school at a prep school, before starting his college career at Nebraska...

Maybe Miles should have offered to pay for said extra year of high school. 

You realize those prep schools in the northeast will cover the cost for a kid if hes good enough.