2018 SG Aguek Arop -> San Diego St

Don't really like any of this after reading Chubick's quote. This is a bush league move by Miles.

I don't think miles did anything wrong. If Miles doesn't see a role for him on the team, why would Arop want to come here?
The kids been committed for how long and you are just recently telling him to go to a prep school for a year?

he has a full year to find a new school. he is not a big 10 quality player and is still recovering from a serious injury.

Not really; fall signing period is 2 months away. AAU season is over...Miles did him no favors on the timing. If Miles cuts him loose earlier in the summer, he gets other coaches to watch him during the summer eval period. I assume that is part of the reason Chubick is so pissed.

While I don't like when it's done this way, nor when a kid (cough cough cough White) leaves a coach in a bind right at the end of the recruiting cycle, as was mentioned, it's how the game is played now.  A case where being first to the party wasn't a good thing in the long run.

How much of this is White leaving and us signing Taylor, which takes up another 2017-18 scholarship?

Even though we needed a backup PG pretty bad I don't know that we sign Taylor if White stays. Is Arop signing in a few months with that extra scholarship?

How much of this is White leaving and us signing Evans, which takes up another 2017-18 scholarship?

Even though we needed a backup PG pretty bad I don't know that we sign Evens if White stays. Is Arop signing in a few months with that extra scholarship?

Was just about to mention this. turner needs to pan out

How much of this is White leaving and us signing Evans, which takes up another 2017-18 scholarship?

Even though we needed a backup PG pretty bad I don't know that we sign Evens if White stays. Is Arop signing in a few months with that extra scholarship?

It's not "Evens" or "turner" - his name is Evan Taylor. He's 6'-5". I think he'll be a good fit.

It's not "Evens" or "turner" - his name is Evan Taylor. He's 6'-5". I think he'll be a good fit.

I've got a dyslexic heart tonight

Was there a chance he wasn't going to qualify and Miles wanted him to go to Prep School in order to hopefully qualify rather than go to JUCO and graduate in two years to end up re-committing here?

Just throwing stuff out there. It's tough business these days, but this does nothing to help us PR wise with in-state coaches and recruits. I guess fortunately for us there's really not a lot to miss in-state for the most part :(

I feel some desperation setting in on Miles's part. I suppose the way the business goes these days coaches always feel a little desperate. I don't like the direction things are heading with this, players leaving, inability to hang on to assistants, etc.

This recruit has no star rating from Rivals, none from ESPN, and none from Scout. Not a single star.

An unfortunate circumstance. And it's one of the hazards of an early offer.

Too bad it works out this way: injury and all.

Great points here. If Arop had played high school ball in outside of Nebraska, would this matter even be an issue? Or would the message board "experts" be criticizing Miles for giving the scholarship in the first place?

Was there a chance he wasn't going to qualify and Miles wanted him to go to Prep School in order to hopefully qualify rather than go to JUCO and graduate in two years to end up re-committing here?

Just throwing stuff out there. It's tough business these days, but this does nothing to help us PR wise with in-state coaches and recruits. I guess fortunately for us there's really not a lot to miss in-state for the most part :(

I feel some desperation setting in on Miles's part. I suppose the way the business goes these days coaches always feel a little desperate. I don't like the direction things are heading with this, players leaving, inability to hang on to assistants, etc.

On the flip side of all this I hear from someone on the team that the team feels very good about where they are as a team heading out of summer conditioning. You know, all that talent that Miles pulled in that were freshman last year? Yeah they feel extremely good about the upcoming season and also very good about the incoming freshman that Miles added to their team.

Players leaving? If you mean White then I think it's pretty much been revealed that White's father was much more to blame here and that the departure had way less to do with Miles and/or the program. A player who didn't want to be here leaving the team is a positive in my mind.

Assistants leaving? Up for debate but leaving for a head coaching job isn't a knock on Miles, neither is leaving for an alma mater. Burno was a who-knows but he left to coach with a buddy. And Beckner? Sources close claimed he was "beyond weird" and never a good fit. Michael Lewis is a massive upgrade.

Desperate? I'd name it pressure to win now. That's deserved by Miles but to call it desperation just because he's bailing on an in-state recruit that didn't pan out? That's absurd. I know it's different because Arop is in-state and there's pressure to get and keep those guys when they're good enough. But Miles absolutely cannot afford to bring in a guy that you can't use (que open scholarship gripers). Miles is making that call and you can't really argue with him when he believes he's got better pieces that he can get instead. He's not just cutting a player loose just to cut one loose. He feels like he has a better use for that scholarship.

Athletics is a cutthroat business. If Miles didn't think Arop had developed like he had anticipated and wasn't deserving of a scholarship than it is his obligation to pull it and find someone who is. However, I do feel for Arop as all of his best recruiting days are behind and he seems like he is destined for a lower level school. I hope he ends up at UNO but wish him the best of luck wherever he lands.

Athletics is a cutthroat business. If Miles didn't think Arop had developed like he had anticipated and wasn't deserving of a scholarship than it is his obligation to pull it and find someone who is. However, I do feel for Arop as all of his best recruiting days are behind and he seems like he is destined for a lower level school. I hope he ends up at UNO but wish him the best of luck wherever he lands.

Agree with this sentiment. Also feel bad for the kid but it's not like this is something Miles wanted to have to do.

It seems you haven't really been paying attention to all the other universities out there then have you? Whether you like it or not, we live in a much more transient society and basketball is no different than any other segment. What is happening here (everything you listed) happens every place else in the country.

Miles has to do what he thinks is best right now.  But I wouldn't have bailed on Aguek in order to free up another scholarship after I offered a transfer with a health risk who plays a position where we already have four guys.

Wingett Sr. agrees with Chubick Sr.

David Wingett Sr. · 

I'm sure alot of other schools would be thrilled to have him.
Like · Reply · 18 mins

Miles has to do what he thinks is best right now.  But I wouldn't have bailed on Aguek in order to free up another scholarship after I offered a transfer with a health risk who plays a position where we already have four guys.

David Wingett Sr. · 

Like · Reply · 18 mins

The funny thing here is the slightly bigger small chance that Wingett could end up here.

David Wingett Sr. · 

Like · Reply · 18 mins

The funny thing here is the slightly bigger small chance that Wingett could end up here.

he was better than arop on the aau team, no?

It seems you haven't really been paying attention to all the other universities out there then have you? Whether you like it or not, we live in a much more transient society and basketball is no different than any other segment. What is happening here (everything you listed) happens every place else in the country.

Like I said in my post ... it's how the business goes these days. You guys can have your opinion and I can have mine about where we're heading. I'm not saying we should've continued to hang onto Arop, but it seems the way we are handling some things is not the best of late.

Miles's record is no better than Barry Collier or Doc Sadler at this point for the most part. Of course it's a more difficult conference but still. Three to four hot weeks of hoops a few years ago got us to the NCAAs and I'm glad that happened, but I'm not sure I'm seeing an overall upward trend in the least. Recruiting rankings, etc are great but there will need to be some results soon. I'm really hoping the new assistant can help us offensively.

Miles has to do what he thinks is best right now. But I wouldn't have bailed on Aguek in order to free up another scholarship after I offered a transfer with a health risk who plays a position where we already have four guys.

David Wingett Sr. ·

Walthill High School

Like · Reply · 18 mins

I would be willing to bet I have the same chance of getting a Husker offer as Wingett would.