2018 SG Aguek Arop -> San Diego St

You know who this kid reminds me of?

Another Omaha South Packer from about 25 years ago.

Terrance Badgett.

That'd be the one.

Badgett was 6'-6" 225# at Nebraska so the size is configured a bit differently. Very good role player for Nebrasketball, though.

What was Terrence's size as a junior at South High?

As a freshman at Nebraska, he was listed at 6'5" and 190#.

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=24&SPSID=23&KEY=&Q_SEASON=1991

You know who this kid reminds me of?

Another Omaha South Packer from about 25 years ago.

Terrance Badgett.

That'd be the one.

Badgett was 6'-6" 225# at Nebraska so the size is configured a bit differently. Very good role player for Nebrasketball, though.

What was Terrence's size as a junior at South High?

As a freshman at Nebraska, he was listed at 6'5" and 190#.

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=24&SPSID=23&KEY=&Q_SEASON=1991

Good catch, there Normy. I'm just skeptical that Arop would bulk up that much, I guess.

I just remember a game in Badgett's freshman season where he got a steal and drove the length of the (rest of the) court and threw down a big dunk.  It was an athletic play that left an impression.  I think the game was against someone good.  I'm pretty sure we won.  I think Dick Vitale was on the call.  And, after Terrence's dunk, Vitale called him a "diaper dandy."

Badgett was strong.  I'd call him a strapping young man when he was a freshman.  Just a very athletic build in a 190# package.  I remember watching him play in high school.  Outside shooting was not his strong suit, and neither is it for Arop, but the description of what Arop did last night just sounds so much like the kind of player Badgett was in high school.

I just remember a game in Badgett's freshman season where he got a steal and drove the length of the (rest of the) court and threw down a big dunk.  It was an athletic play that left an impression.  I think the game was against someone good.  I'm pretty sure we won.  I think Dick Vitale was on the call.  And, after Terrence's dunk, Vitale called him a "diaper dandy."

Badgett was strong.  I'd call him a strapping young man when he was a freshman.  Just a very athletic build in a 190# package.  I remember watching him play in high school.  Outside shooting was not his strong suit, and neither is it for Arop, but the description of what Arop did last night just sounds so much like the kind of player Badgett was in high school.

I remember that game, Badgett was super athletically gifted. It was probably against KU, a 68-64 win by NU.

And, yes, I agree wholeheartedly that Bruce would be in a very good position to assess Aguek. Their South Packers are ballin'.

Y'know, Bruce Chubick used to post here on this board.  There's nobody on earth who would be in a better position to make the comparison than Chubick.  I'd love to know what he'd have to say about the comparison between the two players a generation removed from each other.

I'd also like to know why he is a Iowa Hawkeye football fan.  Representing for Noah Fant maybe?

Y'know, Bruce Chubick used to post here on this board.  There's nobody on earth who would be in a better position to make the comparison than Chubick.  I'd love to know what he'd have to say about the comparison between the two players a generation removed from each other.

I'd also like to know why he is a Iowa Hawkeye football fan.  Representing for Noah Fant maybe?

I think his dad coached in Council Bluffs for a time.  Perhaps one of his students went on to play football for Iowa?

Probably. That'll change to Nebraska soon, though. GBR

Journal Star listed nearly every one of Arop's shots in the game story during his 14-for-16, 32-point night vs Papio (they missed one of his makes in the list):

Dunk 2

Layup 4

Short jumper/floater 5

18-footer from baseline 1

19-footer from key 1

?? 1

"Aguek is really coming on. He's special and every night, he gets better," said Chubick.

http://journalstar.com/sports/high-school/basketball/boys/boys-basketball-arop-bests-chang-in-battle-of-husker-recruits/article_3192bbb2-08a6-508c-95c3-db0c67f10507.html

• 2 weeks later...

Great article. I really do think this will turn out to be a situation like roby and Arop is gonna blow up.

His injury did not help him at all in regards to recruiting ranking...I feel pretty good about saying he is at the very least worthy of a top 150 ranking. 

Great article. I really do think this will turn out to be a situation like roby and Arop is gonna blow up.

His injury did not help him at all in regards to recruiting ranking...I feel pretty good about saying he is at the very least worthy of a top 150 ranking.

IIRC, Peter Jok was highly regarded, then injured his patellar tendon and lost some luster. Turned out great for him and the Hawkeyes.

• 4 weeks later...