2018 SG Aguek Arop -> San Diego St

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, khoock said:

Arop with 29 pts and 19 reb in an upset win at #2 Omaha Central. The kid was doing everything from bringing the ball up the floor, rebounding any missed shot in the gymnasium, tipping passes and hitting jump shots.

He's playing with a chip on his shoulder for sure.

Im as big of an Arop fan as there is but he was like 13-34 from the field or something.... 

Here is the deal.  Arop can play Division I basketball.  In my opinion, he would fit better in lower Division I than in the upper level of Division I.  If we had the need for his type of game, then we should have continued to extend the scholarship.  But what are our needs for next year?  We need a player who can replace Tai.  Is Palmer the answer there?  Perhaps.  It may also be Anton who once again finds his game.  The other glaring need is an outside shooter. 

Does Arop fill either of those needs next year?  Nope.  Thus, the need to move on.  OR, do we keep on him simply because he is a Nebraska kid.  I know where I cast my vote.

I completely agree that talent wise he is a fringe P5 caliber player and since we don't need what his skill set offers it makes since to part ways. I just like the kid and Class A bball, so last night was kind  of a big deal. Aside from Papio, Central is suppose to be top dog this year. Souths team is essentially Arop and a group of underclassmen so it was a big upset and big game (statistically) for Arop.

2 hours ago, khoock said:

I completely agree that talent wise he is a fringe P5 caliber player and since we don't need what his skill set offers it makes since to part ways. I just like the kid and Class A bball, so last night was kind  of a big deal. Aside from Papio, Central is suppose to be top dog this year. Souths team is essentially Arop and a group of underclassmen so it was a big upset and big game (statistically) for Arop.

I was surprised a bit with how badly Creighton beat a pretty good Lincoln NE team.

Plain and Simple 6'6 Power Forwards don't play Big Ten Basketball. While he definitely outshined Coach Harriman's favorite metro player in Isaiah Chandler he still took way too many shots and reasserted the assumption he is South's team. Next highest scorer for South had 10. Aguek will be a nice get for Coach Hanson and the staff at Omaha

27 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Plain and Simple 6'6 Power Forwards don't play Big Ten Basketball. While he definitely outshined Coach Harriman's favorite metro player in Isaiah Chandler he still took way too many shots and reasserted the assumption he is South's team. Next highest scorer for South had 10. Aguek will be a nice get for Coach Hanson and the staff at Omaha

But 6'7" power forwards do.

10 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

all his recruiting pages say he has received no new D1 offers since nebraska. not sure if that's accurate, but the fact that no service has even updated his page says a lot.

If you think it says that he's just a really low level, no-star player, then what does that say about our evaluation? 

What it really says that he was completely off the radar because of his early commitment. This entire process for Aguek is very unusual, the combination of the early commit and then the cutting of ties after summer AAU season. It's not a process that translates into what ratings services do. He might well end up at UNO, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he got better offers if somebody thought he was a good fit. He's not a good fit for us.

Last I heard he is a Denver lean. He played a little bit for Chauncey Billups' AAU team in Colorado. And Billups' brother in law (might be a different relationship but there is for sure a connection between the two)  is the head coach at Denver. They have been pursuing him hard.

That's been the word around South High lately. He does have a UNO offer as well and some MVC schools have been in to visit with him.

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

If you think it says that he's just a really low level, no-star player, then what does that say about our evaluation? 

What it really says that he was completely off the radar because of his early commitment. This entire process for Aguek is very unusual, the combination of the early commit and then the cutting of ties after summer AAU season. It's not a process that translates into what ratings services do. He might well end up at UNO, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he got better offers if somebody thought he was a good fit. He's not a good fit for us.

We bungled this thing though because he could have been a fit for us.

What top level D1 school offered Khyri Thomas out of school?  We didn't. Creighton didn't.

They offered him out of prep school.

Would Arop, a kid who is a defensive + and a kid who could use a year not in Omaha to work on his guard skills be a fit for this team after a year at prep school? I think so.

Unfortunately, the process of how this all went down made this not possible.

• 3 months later...
On 8/26/2016 at 1:58 PM, nvhcynt said:

I'm new here, but I can tell you with certainty that Chubick, Sr. was 100 percent for Arop going to prep school when the player, coach and Tim Miles met in Miles' office last week. "A great idea!" is what Chubick said. He obviously flipped. Problem is, Miles didn't know he flipped until Chubick aired his thoughts to the media. Miles was floored. Had Miles known Chubick was so vehemently against prep school, he would have presented another option. But last he'd talked to Chubkick, he was on board.

Bump

• 2 months later...