All-Time disappointing teams

I think Doc's last year could be honorable mention. NIT the year before and returned Diaz, Ubel, McCray, BRich and Caleb Walker plus added Bo Spencer and Dylan Talley who was pretty highly regarded out of junior college. Won at USC early but that was one of the few bright spots.

Caleb Walker...dunking on Illi so hard they fired Bruce Weber and Meyers Leonard burst into tears.

83-84 beat Creighton in the NIT first round in Omaha when they had Benoit Benjamin. This alone should keep them off the "disappointing" list.

Ah, yes.  If I remember correctly, Hoppen sunk 2 free throws right after Benjamin got a technical to ice the win.  I guess if nothing else, we are 2-0 against Creighton in NIT games played in Omaha, right?

Great post.  Lived through them all and you definitely hit the nail on the head with some of those seasons.  Personally I would rate this past season below the other four you missed (meaning less disappointing to me).  I really thought a lot of the optimism this year was unfounded based on overperformance last year.  But obviously I did expect and certainly hoped for more this year  I think it feels worse too many that it really is because it is more recent.

The expectations for some of the teams you mention were legitimate.  That 78-79 team was one that really should have won the conference and the 95-96 team had Sweet 16 potential but had a February from hell.  One can legitimately argue that team had more talent than any other NU team, but they did not even make the NCAA.  The NIT championship run was fun - but really in the end just pointed out how they underperformed in conference play that year.

Great post.  Lived through them all and you definitely hit the nail on the head with some of those seasons.  Personally I would rate this past season below the other four you missed (meaning less disappointing to me).  I really thought a lot of the optimism this year was unfounded based on overperformance last year.  But obviously I did expect and certainly hoped for more this year  I think it feels worse too many that it really is because it is more recent.

Agreed. Sadly this wasn't a top 5 year for me.