2015 C Mike Edwards

hhcmatt

I've got to wonder if it's time to differentiate our playing style from the rest of the conference.  Yes, it would be great to land a big guy or two that can actually rebound and post up.  But if you can't do that, do you target another group of players and... I don't know.... run more?  Whatever it is, it needs to be bold and calculated.  We might not be able to copy the Wisconsin way of doing things, though I do admire them.

Just because he gave a verbal somewhere else, IMO, is no reason for the staff to stop recruiting him.  What could it hurt?  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  If you don't try, he's definitely not going to flip.  If you do try, maybe he remains committed to GA, but maybe he changes to us.  Keep after the dude.

I get the sentiment but he committed yesterday and can sign shortly.  This one is in the books.  My friend sent me a message last night saying they were extremely surprised by this as they felt they played all their cards right.  

We have what 24 hours to flip him? I would also like to have one of these players accually talk to somebody who writes for a living here in lincoln to accually tells us why they don't come here.

Just for us to know so we can then talk about it for the summer.

It would be nice, but it would never happen. Kids these days are well coached and will rarely say anything negative about a school they decided against. Not only is it not classy, but you want to keep in good graces as a possible transfer spot if things don't work out at the school you picked.

We have what 24 hours to flip him? I would also like to have one of these players accually talk to somebody who writes for a living here in lincoln to accually tells us why they don't come here.

Just for us to know so we can then talk about it for the summer.

At the end of the day...far more kids are going to turn us down rather than choose to come here.  Outside of the blue bloods that's the case for most schools.  What's important is how our staff does with the players high on our board.  This year overall, Id say they did a pretty dang good job.  Morrow and Watson were #1 priorities right from the get go.  Edwards fell thru the cracks but it's not like we were trying to out recruit Missouri-Kansas City.  I'm hoping and think we can at the very least find a transfer that can give us solid minutes next year.  But, then we will be in the same situation next recruiting cycle.  Sooner or later we need to land some solid bigs that will be here for the duration of their career. 

I guess i dont get why some kids wouldnt want to come here. You are given a blueprint to basically get a ton of playing time. You play in an elite conference...

Look at Frank Kaminsky... The dude is going to the NBA.... He worked his way up... got playing time because of a light depth chart.

Nebraska has struggled at getting big men in here.. and i just dont get why... it is so frustrating.

I know no kid is going to say I didn't come here because they .... It would just be nice. We should start a thread on what we think is needed to get kids to say yes to Nebraska.

Not going 13-18 and losing your last 9 games would be a good start.  Our face plant this year is going to make recruiting that much harder for this staff going forward. 

Just because he gave a verbal somewhere else, IMO, is no reason for the staff to stop recruiting him.  What could it hurt?  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  If you don't try, he's definitely not going to flip.  If you do try, maybe he remains committed to GA, but maybe he changes to us.  Keep after the dude.

I get the sentiment but he committed yesterday and can sign shortly.  This one is in the books.  My friend sent me a message last night saying they were extremely surprised by this as they felt they played all their cards right.  

Don't give up until the ink is dry and the LOI is sitting in UGA's fax machine.

AKA, the Danny Walker recruiting method.  Remember when Nee got him to renege (multiple times) on his verbal to Texas about 15 years ago?

Just because he gave a verbal somewhere else, IMO, is no reason for the staff to stop recruiting him. What could it hurt? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you don't try, he's definitely not going to flip. If you do try, maybe he remains committed to GA, but maybe he changes to us. Keep after the dude.

I get the sentiment but he committed yesterday and can sign shortly. This one is in the books. My friend sent me a message last night saying they were extremely surprised by this as they felt they played all their cards right.

AKA, the Danny Walker recruiting method. Remember when Nee got him to renege (multiple times) on his verbal to Texas about 15 years ago?

I remember watching Danny Walker nail a three pointer from the top of the key to beat the Double Pump All-Stars 109-107 in double overtime. Thrilling exhibition game that was.

I think I'll check in on his career at Georgia from time to time to see if we missed out on anything.  Wouldn't surprise me if he transferred early though. 

Were you thinking a rich mans Atewe?

No comparison to Atewe.  Atewe was an impressive physical specimen with great athleticism but very raw with stone hands and a lack of understanding of the game. 

Edwards might not be the gazelle that Atewe was, but he was decently athletic and had good agility.  More importantly, though, he had a lot more skill and talent than Atewe and just a better understanding of the game. 

Atewe looked lost most of the time in the game film I saw.  He was never quite sure what to do.  Edwards might have his flaws and limitations but there's no comparison between him and Atewe.

AKA, the Danny Walker recruiting method.  Remember when Nee got him to renege (multiple times) on his verbal to Texas about 15 years ago?

My memory is just the opposite.  He had commited to us and we were fighting off Barnes at the end.

http://www.prephoopsmichigan.com/news_article/show/503893-commitments-pour-in-from-michigan-players

Westland John Glenn (MI.) senior power forward Mike Edwards, jr. made his decision Monday evening to attend Georgia.  The 6’10” front court player has had a wild recruiting journey over the last ten months and even for his four years of high school where he started as the state’s #2 incoming freshman to dropping almost out of the top 25 and he will finish as Prep Hoops Michigan’s #4 player from the 2015 class behind Muskegon’s Deyonta Davis (Michigan State), Lansing Everett’s Trevor Manuel (Oregon), and Saginaw Arthur Hill’s Eric Davis (Texas).  Edwards didn’t hold an offer going into June of 2014 when the University of Detroit-Mercy provided him his first opportunity.  Mid-major programs from the Horizon League and Mid-American Conference soon followed.  Those offers stood steady into the 2015 before Rice and TCU joined the mix.  February and March saw his recruiting go to another level as head coaches and assistants from the Big 10, Big 12, Big East, Pac 12, and SEC were regulars in the gym just west of Detroit.  Georgia assistant coach Jonas Hayes was the lead recruiter in Edwards’ recruitment as he was with Bloomfield Hills and current Bulldogs’ freshman Yante Maten a year ago.

We started talking to Bakari about the same time as Edwards, which I doubt is a co-incidence. Hopefully a successful run with BE also leads to some inroads into Georgia as I'm willing to bet that was the biggest difference between us or Georgia landing Big Mike.

• 6 months later...