2015 C Mike Edwards

hhcmatt

The fact that he went from a non starter averaging 4 pts a game to a stud senior averaging over 20 shows me he probably has a tremendous work ethic

Mich, I watched the game film you posted of your game against John Glenn from last year.  It looks like he was playing behind a kid who was a tough sonofabitch.  Very stout and athletic looking kid.  Tried to figure out who it was but I couldn't track down a roster from last year to determine who it was and I couldn't find anything showing a 2014 recruit in the Rivals database from John Glenn HS.  Anyway, when I saw that he was not starting, it dawned on me why he's sort of an unknown who is blowing up now and it kind of explains why he might have gone under the radar.

The fact that he went from a non starter averaging 4 pts a game to a stud senior averaging over 20 shows me he probably has a tremendous work ethic

Mich, I watched the game film you posted of your game against John Glenn from last year.  It looks like he was playing behind a kid who was a tough sonofabitch.  Very stout and athletic looking kid.  Tried to figure out who it was but I couldn't track down a roster from last year to determine who it was and I couldn't find anything showing a 2014 recruit in the Rivals database from John Glenn HS.  Anyway, when I saw that he was not starting, it dawned on me why he's sort of an unknown who is blowing up now and it kind of explains why he might have gone under the radar.

I'm talking about #3, an athletic looking big man who scored John Glenn's first two baskets on rebound put-backs.  Appears Mike Edwards was playing behind him at the 5 position, so I could understand why he might have only started this season.

Mich, I watched the game film you posted of your game against John Glenn from last year. It looks like he was playing behind a kid who was a tough sonofabitch. Very stout and athletic looking kid. Tried to figure out who it was but I couldn't track down a roster from last year to determine who it was and I couldn't find anything showing a 2014 recruit in the Rivals database from John Glenn HS. Anyway, when I saw that he was not starting, it dawned on me why he's sort of an unknown who is blowing up now and it kind of explains why he might have gone under the radar.

I'm talking about #3, an athletic looking big man who scored John Glenn's first two baskets on rebound put-backs. Appears Mike Edwards was playing behind him at the 5 position, so I could understand why he might have only started this season.

The guy who started ahead of him was James Pruitt, a 6'7" center who now plays for Schoolcraft community college (JUCO) which is supposedly ranked #1 in the country

I just dont think it will be TP.

They mentioned something in there that i would be seriously curious about: Are any scholarship players able to go to walk on status in order to bring another guy in?

I know Doug did it at Creighton(different situation) but would be curious.

In order of likely hood:

Petteway(even though i dont think he leaves, his makes the most sense)

Fuller

Hammond

Pitchford(I dont think he is happy and they arent happy with him)

Webster

Parker

Not sure what to think...

I just dont think it will be TP.

They mentioned something in there that i would be seriously curious about: Are any scholarship players able to go to walk on status in order to bring another guy in?

I know Doug did it at Creighton(different situation) but would be curious.

Only similar scenario would be Shavon Shields, which would be a stunner.

On the other hand, you never know as stranger things have happened.  The supposed missing link to immortality (i.e. Big Dance victory) could be a 'big' away! GBR

Reminds me of a poor mans Justin Jackson at UNC. Tall and long so he has to play post in HS, but almost plays more like he thinks he's a guard, and has some nice guard skills. Poor mans version because he doesn't move as well as JJ or shoot the 3 like JJ. But, he does seem much more comfortable in the post.

My only complaint would be that it doesn't look like he knows he's 6'9"-6'10" as far as using his hands on defense and having them high.

Mich, thanks for posting.  It's nice to see the whole game film.  He'll do something eye-popping good and then he'll turn around and have a WTF? moment.  He's clearly learning.  It makes sense when you say he began picking up the game in 7th grade.  The guy has good frame and looks like a kid who can add some weight as opposed to, like, a Vucetic who is skinny and probably always will be.  This guy looks like he could put on some bulk.

He obviously has some tools.  I love his agility.  That spin move on the fast break where he does a dreamy shaker thingy was sick-ma.  But then he gets beat for an offensive rebound and tries to pester the guy while everyone else is running to the other end of the floor and Salem goes inside and scores.  And he hasn't even crossed mid-court yet.  So, quit effing around on the wrong side of the floor when the other team gets a defensive rebound, get your ass to the other end of the court, and play some defense.

Another couple of times where he's clearly out of position, bites on pump fakes, runs out to the corner to close out on someone else's assigned man and leaves the lane wide open and that kind of stuff.  That's all learning stuff.  And I will say this:  The mistakes this kid is making are being made at full speed.  His effort is sometimes misguided but I'm not seeing him taking plays off or lollygagging when he should be busting his ass somewhere.

Compare that to the kid from KC a couple of years ago who we kind of were after and decided to go to prep school.  He had some full game video from his prep school that showed a guy who was kind of half speed half the time.

I like Edwards' array of tools.  I wish he hadn't airballed that early jumper from the short corner on the near side.  But his form looked good and I suspect with practice that will be a shot he'll be very effective with.  I still like the kid.  I think there's a lot to like about him.  Especially if he's legit 6'10".

Mich, thanks for posting. It's nice to see the whole game film. He'll do something eye-popping good and then he'll turn around and have a WTF? moment. He's clearly learning. It makes sense when you say he began picking up the game in 7th grade. The guy has good frame and looks like a kid who can add some weight as opposed to, like, a Vucetic who is skinny and probably always will be. This guy looks like he could put on some bulk.

He obviously has some tools. I love his agility. That spin move on the fast break where he does a dreamy shaker thingy was sick-ma. But then he gets beat for an offensive rebound and tries to pester the guy while everyone else is running to the other end of the floor and Salem goes inside and scores. And he hasn't even crossed mid-court yet. So, quit effing around on the wrong side of the floor when the other team gets a defensive rebound, get your ass to the other end of the court, and play some defense.

Another couple of times where he's clearly out of position, bites on pump fakes, runs out to the corner to close out on someone else's assigned man and leaves the lane wide open and that kind of stuff. That's all learning stuff. And I will say this: The mistakes this kid is making are being made at full speed. His effort is sometimes misguided but I'm not seeing him taking plays off or lollygagging when he should be busting his ass somewhere.

Compare that to the kid from KC a couple of years ago who we kind of were after and decided to go to prep school. He had some full game video from his prep school that showed a guy who was kind of half speed half the time.

I like Edwards' array of tools. I wish he hadn't airballed that early jumper from the short corner on the near side. But his form looked good and I suspect with practice that will be a shot he'll be very effective with. I still like the kid. I think there's a lot to like about him. Especially if he's legit 6'10".

My first thought is that he is somewhat of a "project", however this is a kid who like you said is still learning a bit and he also appears to have a tremendous work ethic. I would imagine he would be a kid who maybe by year 2 would provide quality on the basketball court