2015 C Mike Edwards

hhcmatt

What size school is this? Only negative I see is that he is a foot taller and about 90 pounds bigger than anybody else, but yeah if somebody is leaving he would be a nice addition.

Don't think I would ask anybody to leave just to get him here.

I'm with you, if we end up having room I'd take him.  Only time will tell....

What size school is this? Only negative I see is that he is a foot taller and about 90 pounds bigger than anybody else, but yeah if somebody is leaving he would be a nice addition.

He plays in the largest class in the state of Michigan, Class A (then class B, C, and so on...)

Thanks,

seems pretty similar to Jake hammond in size and skills, and hammond was a top 150 player at one time.

Mmmm, I don't know that I've seen film of Jacob showing the kind of athleticism this kid shows.  This kid gets up and down the floor.  Runs the floor very fast in those videos.  He's also overall just stronger with the ball than what I saw of Jacob Hammond.  I think there's a reason Jacob fell out of the Rivals 150.

Once the HS season is over I should be able to post a full game tape of him and not just highlights

Please do.

I'd like to watch that. Assuming he hasn't committed elsewhere by then.

It would only be able to be the game he played against the team I coached where he had foul trouble, but it would be good to see how he his when he struggles

The team i coached for, we played against this kid. Big athletic kid. Can score well inside. Did not play a ton due to foul trouble but he is a decent but not great big man. I wouldnt think he would be D1 material, but with the offers i guess that proves otherwise

Tell me more.  Did you guys play against him this year?  Did you watch film when scouting his team?

The videos I've seen posted make it look like the kid has ++ athleticism for his size.  Agree or disagree?

Videos show he also has some ball-handling ability and can drive (think Brandon Ubel rather than Walter Pitchford, right?)  Yes or no?

He seems to have a little bit of a mean streak, which I like.  Is that consistent or does that come and go?  Does he disappear at times?

Why is it that you thought he wasn't D1 material?  Can you expound on that, please? 

Make your response as long as you'd like.  I'll read whatever you write.  Just want your insights on this kid as he looks like a pretty decent prospect from his highlight videos.

THANKS!!!

Norm here is his Rivals profile

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/basketball/recruiting/player-Mike-Edwards-171310;_ylt=AsHa.5jXMurP_S0m61GZf_tgs5B4

as for what I think, I really dont have much of a feel with a few highlights here and there.  

If I had to give a comparison at this point I would say he is a less refined version of current Spartan Gavin Schilling.  Big and athletic with a lot of fluidity.  Schilling is a little more refined in the post IMO than Edwards who seems to take advantage of smaller players basically just throwing the ball up at the hoop.

Norm here is his Rivals profile

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/basketball/recruiting/player-Mike-Edwards-171310;_ylt=AsHa.5jXMurP_S0m61GZf_tgs5B4

as for what I think, I really dont have much of a feel with a few highlights here and there.  

If I had to give a comparison at this point I would say he is a less refined version of current Spartan Gavin Schilling.  Big and athletic with a lot of fluidity.  Schilling is a little more refined in the post IMO than Edwards who seems to take advantage of smaller players basically just throwing the ball up at the hoop.

Thanks, Kamdy.

I remember your discussion of Schilling at the time that he was being recruited and I remember you not being particularly impressed with him.  I'm going to have to go dig for that thread because I remember videos of Schilling that were just kind of meh.  IIRC, I was probably a little more high on him than you, but deferred to your greater familiarity with him.

I don't think this is Schilling.  And let me tell you why.

My impression of Schilling, from what little video I saw, was that he was a bit soft.  Afraid of contact.  He had some skills but nothing overwhelming and he certainly didn't blow you away with his explosiveness or anything.

I like the way this kid attacks.  I like the fact that he's not afraid to post up and bang a little bit inside.  He shows a little bit of aggression, which is nice for a big.  And he shows a lot more back-to-the-basket ability than I ever remember seeing from Schilling.  Plus, he appears to run the floor really, really well in transition.  How many times in the game highlights above was he out in front of the break?

I'd like to see a full game film of him and not one where he's in foul trouble because I'd like to see how he is when the ball isn't on his side of the floor.  Does he take plays off?  Does he get passive and disappear at times (I'd be very surprised if he did.)  Is he working on defense all the time?

From size and skill set perspective, I can kinda see your comparison to Schilling.  But this kid just seems a bit tougher.

You are right I was a little put off by Schillings performance in person.  I will say though Schilling played in a much tougher HS league and an even tougher AAU schedule which can make a guy look softer when you go up against better players.  I think Edwards has the benefit of going against a lot of 6'3'' type guys from the looks of it.

You are right I was a little put off by Schillings performance in person.  I will say though Schilling played in a much tougher HS league and an even tougher AAU schedule which can make a guy look softer when you go up against better players.  I think Edwards has the benefit of going against a lot of 6'3'' type guys from the looks of it.

LOL. 

He should pick on someone his own size, huh?

It can make a big guy look awfully good when he's going up against a buncha short guys.  Kinda like Rich King going off for 40 points against some, like, Eastern Illinois team whose tallest player was shorter than your wife.

Yeah, some of that film above you could question the competition level, for sure.  Still, he does some things that are pretty good regardless of size.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLcs_s8Ep3EnYQKhc5CPgkZRPrh42askmm&v=XIRj4nDmiEg

Not the video I planned on posting, but here's a full game tape from last season

Mich, thanks for that.  Do you think he's a legit 6'9"? 

Here are the highlights from your game against him this year:

In terms of size i would say yeah, hes right about that height. For comparison #42 who was guarding him most of the time in the video is about 6"6 to 6'7". The big issue with this kid, and the thing we tried to take advantage of, was his range in games seems to be about 5 feet from the basket. He doesnt seem to step out and shoot too much.

I will give you two kids that you can feel free to compare him to. Both other guys played in the same conference as Edwards and both are similar in height. The first...

Jalen Reynolds-  4 star player. SIgned with Xavier out of high school. Played at Brewster Acadamy with Mitch Mcgary after high school. Is currently averaging 9.5 pts and 6.3 reb at Xavier

Samer Ozier- Played briefly at Columbia. Averaged less than 1 pt and 1 reb over his career there

Kinda like Rich King going off for 40 points against some, like, Eastern Illinois team whose tallest player was shorter than your wife.

Norm, I hope you will forgive me for being historically anal, I realize this wasn't the main point of your post.  But it's ironic you brought up Rich King's 40 point performance.

It was actually against Northern Illinois - not Eastern Illinois.  And in fact, it was a very good Northern Illinois team.  Oh, and by the way, look who was coaching Northern Illinois per below.

NU's King in Rhythm To Tune of 40 - Point Day
Omaha World-Herald (NE) - February 19, 1991
Author: Lee Barfknecht, WORLD - HERALD BUREAU

If you're fretting about Nebraska center Rich King being out of gas for Big Eight play after Monday's 40 - point performance against non - conference foe Northern Illinois, relax."Some people worry about fatigue," the 7 - foot - 2 senior said after tying the school scoring record and rallying the Huskers to an 82 - 73 victory before 13,698 fans at the Bob Devaney Sports Center.

"But when I play games, I get in a rhythm. I think more time off hurts you than a lot of games in a row. Because when games come bang - bang - bang, you get in a rhythm of playing, having one practice and playing again. I think it will be good for us."

King had his rhythm Monday night, drilling 12 of 16 field - goal attempts and 16 of 19 free throws to top his previous scoring high of 31 points last season against Harvard.  "The game plan wasn't to get Rich King 40 points," NU Coach Danny Nee said. "That's just how it unfolded.

"I never felt the rest of the players ever got into a fluid game. And that was because of the good defense of Northern Illinois."

NIU was ranked second nationally in fewest points allowed at 55.4 a game, and had let no team top 69 points this season.

But the Huskies, who gave up six inches at center and an average of four inches a man, couldn't stop King.

"We needed that kind of performance," Nee said. "Otherwise, Nebraska gets beat."

King's 15 points in the final eight minutes of the first half kept 22 - 4 Nebraska within seven points of 20 - 4 Northern Illinois at halftime.

King's three - point plays with 15:55, 14:37 and 11:34 left in the game prevented NIU from building any second - half leads bigger than eight points.

King's two free throws with 5:41 left tied the game at 70, just the third time 13th - and 14th - ranked NU had evened score.

King's 15 - foot jumper with 4:27 left gave Nebraska its first lead of the game at 72 - 70.

King then added three more points in the final three minutes to match Jerry Fort's 1975 school record of 40 points against Missouri, shatter the Devaney Center record of 39 points held by Omahan Ron Kellogg of Kansas and Raymond Dudley of Air Force and finish any NIU upset hopes.

"King is going to be a pro,"

Northern Illinois Coach Jim Molinari said. "If he played against us every night, he'd be a lottery pick."

After going 1 for 2 from the field the first 12 minutes, King scored 38 points in his final 26 minutes of playing time. He also had seven rebounds, four assists and three blocked shots.

"It had to be done," said the former Omaha Burke all - stater. "There was a job that needed to be done.

"This was not a game we could afford to lose because we want to go to the NCAA tournament and keep winning."

The win helped Nebraska tie its school record of 22 victories in a season. The only other Husker teams in 95 years of basketball to reach 22 wins were in 1919 - 20 (22 - 2), 1977 - 78 (22 - 8) and 1982 - 83 (22 - 10).

But the magnitude of that was overshadowed in the locker room by the relief of avoiding an upset.

"When a team like Northern Illinois gets you down," Nee said, "it's easy to quit. We could have easily been upset.

"People who see the score and didn't see the game will think Nebraska won handily. But it wasn't that way. We had to fight and scrap for everything we got."

Unranked Northern Illinois had the best fighters and scrappers much of the night.

"We came in here wanting to prove we belong," Molinari said. "We wanted to win so bad to prove we should be in the NCAA tournament."

The Huskies, leaders of the Mid - Continent Conference over Wisconsin - Green Bay, broke to leads of 4 - 0, 18 - 11 and 23 - 13. Donald Whiteside, a 5 - 10 guard, produced that 10 - point margin with 9:50 left in the first half on one of his five three - pointers.

King, after scoring NU's first basket, didn't score again until there were eight minutes left in the first half. That was on an assist from guard Jose Ramos on Ramos' first appearance in the game.

"Anyone could see that they couldn't stop Rich," said Ramos, who finished with four points, four assists and three steals in 16 minutes. "Every time he got the ball, it was a basket or a foul.

"He was definitely my go - to man."

From Ramos' first assist, King scored 15 of Nebraska's next 19 points to keep the Huskers within seven points, 43 - 36, at halftime. That was just the fifth time NU had been behind at half this season.

"In the beginning," King said, "we were just playing and not following the game plan.

"Then we were down seven at half, and the way they were shooting, we were going to be down 15 or 18 if we didn't start doing the job."

Nebraska scored on 10 straight possessions midway through the second half, but still couldn't take the lead.

Ramos' steal and layup closed the gap to 62 - 59. Ramos stole the ball again and fed forward Dapreis Owens for a layup and a foul to tie the game at 62 with 10 minutes to play.

Northern Illinois bounced back behind 6 - 4 forward Donnell Thomas, who had 14 points and 14 rebounds, to lead 70 - 64.

But King hit six straight free throws to tie the game. Then he stole a pass, and after forward Carl Hayes' miss, hit a 15 - foot jumper with 4:27 left to give Nebraska its first lead.

Two possessions later, Whiteside, who had 16 points, hit his fifth three - pointer to bring Northern Illinois back to 74 - 73.

But King answered with a layup and a free throw on NU's next two possessions for a 77 - 73 lead with 2:07 to play.

"I know it had to be hard for our scorers to come down and turn down offensive chances," said King, who worked against NIU's 6 - 8 Randy Fens and 6 - 7 Andrew Wells. "But they did it. They got the ball to me.

"That's a credit to our unity and unselfishness."

NU guard Beau Reid said it also became a necessity with himself, forward Tony Farmer and guard Clifford Scales struggling.

"When you've got three starters like me, Tony and Clifford shooting a combined 3 of 14," Reid said, "we would have been in big trouble if Rich hadn't had the game he did." HUSKER NOTES: Nebraska's basketball program will be featured in a 3 1/2 - minute segment tonight on ESPN during the halftime of the Oklahoma State - Kansas State game, scheduled to tip off at 6:30 CST.