Will he stay or will he go?

ajb5856

According to Lee Barfknecht:

LINCOLN — Terran Petteway’s meeting to discuss his Nebraska basketball future with coach Tim Miles — scheduled for Tuesday — has been indefinitely postponed.

Petteway, a two-time All-Big Ten selection, has returned to Galveston, Texas, to visit his mother, Miles said Monday. Joetta Petteway is battling cancer for a third time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does this mean? I can't quite tell if I'm comfortable with the language 'indefinitely postponed'. I once thought the longer this went the better the chances Petteway returned. Now I have no idea. He obviously needs to spend time with his mother, see where she is at with things, and gather life advice from her. I assume he's gathered all draft status/evaluation info by now. But Miles also needs to know in order to know how to recruit going forward. We shall see. We just don't know when.

This is from Wikipedia so no clue how accurate it is but, it says:

Players who are not automatically eligible but wish to be drafted must declare their eligibility no later than 60 days before the draft.[17] After this date, "early entry" players may attend NBA pre-draft camps and individual team workouts to show off their skills and obtain feedback regarding their draft positions. Under the CBA, a player may withdraw his name from consideration from the draft at any time before the final declaration date, which is 10 days before the draft.[18] However, the NCAA adopted a rule that took effect in August 2009 that requires players at its member institutions to withdraw no later than May 8 to retain their college eligibility; the first draft affected by this rule was the 2010 draft.[19]In 2011, the NCAA further shortened its timeline for players to withdraw and retain eligibility; the deadline now falls one day before the start of the spring signing period for men's basketball, which occurs in April.[20]

What does this mean? I can't quite tell if I'm comfortable with the language 'indefinitely postponed'. I once thought the longer this went the better the chances Petteway returned. Now I have no idea. He obviously needs to spend time with his mother, see where she is at with things, and gather life advice from her. I assume he's gathered all draft status/evaluation info by now. But Miles also needs to know in order to know how to recruit going forward. We shall see. We just don't know when.

I read this to mean Terran's mom got some very bad news and he needed to make the round trip to go back home shortly after he left to be with her.

If it is (or could be) indeed end stage cancer, it is a very difficult time to go through.

All my thoughts, prayers and best wishes go out to the Petteway family.

We should only hope it is something as simple as wanting life advise.

We have 2 open scholarships so there is really no hurry for an announcement one way or another.

Especially if we are willing to go into next year with an open scholarship.  So perhaps we have an incoming freshman, a juco and a one and doner coming our way IF TP chooses to leave.  If he chooses to stay, then perhaps the one and doner is not brought in???

I'm on board with trickey and hal's sentiments 100%.  Like Trickey, my initial reaction was that this has all the markings of his mother taking a turn for the worse - and as someone who recently had a very close family member succumb to cancer at a much too early age - I understand completely what he's going through.

We as fans can be impatient and nervous at times waiting to know of his decision, but anything other than hoping for the best for Terran and his family right now would be selfish of us.

So, say a prayer for the young man's mother and family tonight, hope for the best, and rest assured that we will know of his ultimate decision in due course.

I assume he applied to the NBA advisory group?  I don't think those evaluations are typically in yet.  So perhaps this decision is being delayed until those results come.

My guess is his decision was made and he wanted to tell Miles in person. His mother's health has taken a turn for the worse and that has complicated matters for TP.

Hoping for the best for him and his family.

If he wants to play in the NBA it makes sense to listen to the advisory group before making a final decision.  That is a seperate issue from his mom's cancer.  Obviously, wishing their family well on that front.

Agreed, but he would have known the timeline for the NBA advisory committee's paperwork prior to scheduling his Tuesday meeting with Miles, which is why I don't think that's the reason for the delay.

That is why I used the word "perhaps" in my first post.  There is no denying that it is at least a possibility though.  And it is also possible that Miles would advise him at the meeting that was supposed to happen today, to go ahead and await those reults and that there is time to wait for those results. 

KNTK - Morning Take:  Petteway decision postponed/Royals get Opening Day win/Hang Up On Holstein

http://www.theticketfm.com/podcasts/morningtake/2015_04_07_2.mp3

(17:05)

Terran Petteway was supposed to meet with Tim Miles today about his future, but the meeting has been postponed due to Miles being out recruiting. Does Miles already know the fate of his star player? Also, the Royals got their first Opening Day win in 7 years with a 10-1 triumph over the White Sox, despite having some odd choices in the line-up. Is Ned Yost crazy or brilliant? Finally, Shannon takes on Lanny in ‘Hang Up On Holstein,’ featuring national championship trivia.