Chandler Smith

Bugeaters1

I was thinking about her season as whole last night and this is what I think is happening to and her playing time. I don't know if I can make this make sense but here I go. With her having been hurt at the start of the season and finally getting to play and then re injuring her self she got way behind in her development. So when she finally got healed the second the time she started to press, knowing that she can play but for what ever reason she just couldn't catch a break IE. a bad pass, falling down trying to make a move, short on open shots ETC ETC. I guess I'm saying she just needs to learn to relax and have fun and let the game come to her. Am I off base here? Thoughts. * I didn't see that I had a G instead of a C in the topic header.

She is doing fine and will keep getting better.  She may need to relax but the fans need to relax too.  Rankings are terrible for kids because they create a fan, kid, and parent expectation that creates unrealistic pressure and expectations.  I see this all the time in Kansas with KU mens team always having TOP 50 kids.  Reality is at the BCS level EVERYBODY is good.  Most the kids that are highly ranked, boys and girls, have always had a physical advantage over almost everybody they played against growing up.  At the BCS almost all of them lose the physical advantage and have to learn to compensate with plan b, plan c, etc.  They have to turn up their motor and find new ways to be effective.  It is a process that takes time for 90% of the kids.  I heard Bill Self say one time kids ra ranked 1-10 u usually know are going to be good immediately; but the difference between kid ranked 30,90, and 135 is really slight and could be who saw them what game with they did or didn't play their best.  Chandler, Nat and jas are high level recruits who will have GREAT careers.  Playing high minutes on a ncaa tourney caliber team as a freshman and making a huge impact is the exception for high level kids, not the norm.

She is doing fine and will keep getting better.  She may need to relax but the fans need to relax too.  Rankings are terrible for kids because they create a fan, kid, and parent expectation that creates unrealistic pressure and expectations.  I see this all the time in Kansas with KU mens team always having TOP 50 kids.  Reality is at the BCS level EVERYBODY is good.  Most the kids that are highly ranked, boys and girls, have always had a physical advantage over almost everybody they played against growing up.  At the BCS almost all of them lose the physical advantage and have to learn to compensate with plan b, plan c, etc.  They have to turn up their motor and find new ways to be effective.  It is a process that takes time for 90% of the kids.  I heard Bill Self say one time kids ra ranked 1-10 u usually know are going to be good immediately; but the difference between kid ranked 30,90, and 135 is really slight and could be who saw them what game with they did or didn't play their best.  Chandler, Nat and jas are high level recruits who will have GREAT careers.  Playing high minutes on a ncaa tourney caliber team as a freshman and making a huge impact is the exception for high level kids, not the norm.

+1.....they'll be fine.

The basics are there, and they got more playing time as we've gone on. Jazz is playing more...and you can see she's getting up to speed. Too bad for all of them...the ankle thing....which still makes me wonder what was going on.

Need to work on their game even more....but they know it anyway.

Chandler Smith is being groomed to take over for Theriot.  She has some good instincts for the game and has nice size.  She will blossom next year though it is going to be a tough season for NU unless Jessica Shephard is very, very good from the beginning.

Jess Shepard is the genuine article.  The question is not whether she'll be good enough, because she is already.  The question is whether she'll be recovered enough.

Chandler Smith is being groomed to take over for Theriot.  She has some good instincts for the game and has nice size.  She will blossom next year though it is going to be a tough season for NU unless Jessica Shephard is very, very good from the beginning.

Jess will be very good, I'd guess. But Jordan Hooper was very good her freshman year. NU needs two more starters to go along with Shepard, Romeo and Theriot. And then it needs 2-3 bench players. 

Jess will be very good, I'd guess. But Jordan Hooper was very good her freshman year. NU needs two more starters to go along with Shepard, Romeo and Theriot. And then it needs 2-3 bench players. 

So you three starters who fills the other two Blackburn and Smith or Kalenta in one of those two spots?

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to Chandler Smith
  • 2 years later...

congrats to SDSU, glad to see them move on. been watching CSmith too. i wasn't aware L. Stockton suffered a leg injury. that's a bummer. i was really interested in watching her play. 

with Townsend's foot in a cast, and Stockton in a big knee brace, doubt Chandler and Gonzaga get it done. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

What little I watched her here, she seemed to have the natural skills, and real good feel for the game. Had a nice shoot. But could also sense she wasn't all in, and wasn't totally comfortable....home sick ....

What ever...but just heard on the tube... she was named 1st Team All WCC ....she just drilled a couple of 3's. 

Gonzaga's just lost a couple of their starters to injuries....so it's tough going against BYU in WCC tourney final

Edited by redsteve

• 2 weeks later...