Petteway's shooting

Using last nights game as my only reference but I would be willing to bet it would be similar. 

He was 5-15 from the floor and 1 of 9 from behind the arc.  Now I am not a math major, I am a science geek for the record, but 5-15 is 33%, 1 of 9 is 11%.  That means he was 4 of 6 inside the arc or 67%.  Now my point is will the light come on that he, if averages hold, scores 10-12 more points a game if he just moves closer.  It is painfully clear he is NOT a 3-pt shooter but the numbers tell me he is pretty dang good inside the arc.

Using last nights game as my only reference but I would be willing to bet it would be similar. 

He was 5-15 from the floor and 1 of 9 from behind the arc.  Now I am not a math major, I am a science geek for the record, but 5-15 is 33%, 1 of 9 is 11%.  That means he was 4 of 6 inside the arc or 67%.  Now my point is will the light come on that he, if averages hold, scores 10-12 more points a game if he just moves closer.  It is painfully clear he is NOT a 3-pt shooter but the numbers tell me he is pretty dang good inside the arc.

He hit some tough shots inside the arc as well.

He can shoot from beyond but last night wasn't his night from distance, obviously.

i thought he was taking some bad shots when i was watching the game last night, but then i looked at who else was on the floor....

benny,rivers, leslee, and shields. none of those 4 have been a threat to score from the outside this year.

next year when we add White to the lineup, i don't think petteway will be forced to take as many bad shots.

i thought he was taking some bad shots when i was watching the game last night, but then i looked at who else was on the floor....

benny,rivers, leslee, and shields. none of those 4 have been a threat to score from the outside this year.

next year when we add White to the lineup, i don't think petteway will be forced to take as many bad shots.

That's really my question for next year. Can he reign it back in with a better shooting squad around him like Gallegos did his senior year?

I will tone it down some after looking up the numbers, it may be a case the legs are gone.  That said the numbers still point to the fact I wish he would shoot inside the arc more often.

For the season his numbers are

40.4% all shots -  30.9% behind the arc - 49.1% inside the arc

First 19 games

43.3% all shots - 34.9% behind the arc - 50.6% inside the arc

Last 10 games

33.8% all shots - 24% behind the arc - 45.3% inside the arc

That's really my question for next year. Can he reign it back in with a better shooting squad around him like Gallegos did his senior year?

I don't think Petteway will need to take as big of a step back as ray did. He just won't need to take multiple pull-up contested 3s per game.

I will tone it down some after looking up the numbers, it may be a case the legs are gone.  That said the numbers still point to the fact I wish he would shoot inside the arc more often.

In a perfect world I would like him to shoot inside the arc more also, but the defenses have something to say about that.  That's what coaching is all about--trying to keep guys from doing what they want to do or are best at.  They are packing the paint, among other defensive schemes to limit Shavon and Terran's work closer in, as well as driving.  And when those guys force the drive, we have gotten no love from the officials all year.

I don't think Petteway will need to take as big of a step back as ray did. He just won't need to take multiple pull-up contested 3s per game.

It would be a different kind of adjustment as I think in addition to shooting less from outside we are probably a better team if he doesn't have to be the primary ball handler. Hopefully things work out where the ball can be mainly handled by T.Smith and Watson next year. Can he be the slashing player he should be without having the ball in his hands as much?

I will tone it down some after looking up the numbers, it may be a case the legs are gone. That said the numbers still point to the fact I wish he would shoot inside the arc more often.

In a perfect world I would like him to shoot inside the arc more also, but the defenses have something to say about that. That's what coaching is all about--trying to keep guys from doing what they want to do or are best at. They are packing the paint, among other defensive schemes to limit Shavon and Terran's work closer in, as well as driving. And when those guys force the drive, we have gotten no love from the officials all year.

Part of it has to do with how the defense is playing. And part of it has to do with Petteway jacking up horrible shots. And last night...some at the worst time. We are not going to win many games with Petteway shooting 8-9 three point shots a game.

I think it would help tremendously if we let the PGs be the primary ball handlers, especially T Smith. To me it looks like the offense works better that way. There's a lot more motion to our motion offense. I'm hoping between Smith, Watson and Benny they can find a guy that can do that. It's a lot easier for defenses to key in on TP if he's always the one with the ball in his hands.

Agree Red... I have no idea why we don't make Petteway more of a RIP Hamilton type.  He's got excellent endurance.  Let the PGs distribute and run this dude off some screens.  At least make his defender work for the full shot clock and chase him (and Shavon) around a bunch of screens.  TP is a very good jumpshooter.  He seemed to do that a lot more last year.  We are putting absolutely no pressure on the defense.

All I hear is next year, next year, next year when it comes to Petteway. A lot of things need to fall into place in order for Petteway to be back with the team next year. People make the assumption that he isn't ready for the nba so he will be back for sure. But just because he isn't nba bound doesn't mean he's back at Nebraska. There are A LOT of factors that will go into his decision. TP might be back but it's not a cut and dried answer.

I was going to start that thread after the year was over. But since you opened that can of worms.

Being a college grad, having an okay year, and having a family that might need some help with bills. I also think it is not cut and dried that he will be back. But thn again I could be way off too.

Agree Red... I have no idea why we don't make Petteway more of a RIP Hamilton type. He's got excellent endurance. Let the PGs distribute and run this dude off some screens. At least make his defender work for the full shot clock and chase him (and Shavon) around a bunch of screens. TP is a very good jumpshooter. He seemed to do that a lot more last year. We are putting absolutely no pressure on the defense.

Great post. His jumper is super. We need more of his 17 foot jumpers. He has a great pull up jumper.

Agree Red... I have no idea why we don't make Petteway more of a RIP Hamilton type. He's got excellent endurance. Let the PGs distribute and run this dude off some screens. At least make his defender work for the full shot clock and chase him (and Shavon) around a bunch of screens. TP is a very good jumpshooter. He seemed to do that a lot more last year. We are putting absolutely no pressure on the defense.

Great post. His jumper is super. We need more of his 17 foot jumpers. He has a great pull up jumper.

Think that was basis of my original post.  Inside the arc the kid appears to be deadly.  Outside on average at best and in the last ten games, well

TP5 is only making 6 out of 37 from downtown in the past 6 games, IIRC.

11 for 53 from deep during our 7 game losing streak. Averaging 7.5 threes per game over that stretch and 7 per game for the year.  A guy like Petteway should not be taking that many shots beyond the arc.  I have to wonder if this is Petteway trying to show scouts that he has the range to play in the NBA.  Unfortunately, it's only hurting himself and the team.  He has already taken 57 more three pointers than he had last year.  For a guy hovering around 30% from deep, that's not good.   

I agree that the topic of where he will be next year is best held until after the present year ends but I'm sure the speculation will begin in both major newspapers and on all of the boards as soon as it plays out.He will be the only one to decide what is best for the Petteway situation despite what we all think he should do.

TP5 is only making 6 out of 37 from downtown in the past 6 games, IIRC.

11 for 53 from deep during our 7 game losing streak. Averaging 7.5 threes per game over that stretch and 7 per game for the year.  A guy like Petteway should not be taking that many shots beyond the arc.  I have to wonder if this is Petteway trying to show scouts that he has the range to play in the NBA.  Unfortunately, it's only hurting himself and the team.  He has already taken 57 more three pointers than he had last year.  For a guy hovering around 30% from deep, that's not good.   

It would be interesting to know how much time was left on the Shot-Clock when TP was attempting threes!  :ph34r: