WBB: B1G Tournament; Game #30 vs Illinois

Row6Seat10

I think part of the difference in this game compared to the last two times we played Illinois is that the refs were finally calling fouls on Illinois where they should have.  I remember Coatney saying in one of those previous two times that there were a good 20 fouls by White, but only 5 were called (and it took a long time to get them).  I also noticed in the Minnesota game that followed that the refs were calling AZB for her foot shuffle that I've seen her do a lot this year. 

I think part of the difference in this game compared to the last two times we played Illinois is that the refs were finally calling fouls on Illinois where they should have.  I remember Coatney saying in one of those previous two times that there were a good 20 fouls by White, but only 5 were called (and it took a long time to get them).  I also noticed in the Minnesota game that followed that the refs were calling AZB for her foot shuffle that I've seen her do a lot this year. 

IMO we had two of the three best refs in the league calling that game last night.

It seemed to me last night that we were also willing to take that open shot near the lane early in the shot clock if it was there.  Hailie and Em both had good buckets, as well as Havers.  That was a change from the OSU game, where passing that up was not in our favor. 

I still say Havers has a lot of upside to her. she just causes a lot distress in the middle.

It seemed to me last night that we were also willing to take that open shot near the lane early in the shot clock if it was there.  Hailie and Em both had good buckets, as well as Havers.  That was a change from the OSU game, where passing that up was not in our favor. 

I still say Havers has a lot of upside to her. she just causes a lot distress in the middle.

Havers is just a sophmore.....she's one that could have benefited from a redshirt to get stronger, and learn the system. You can see she knows the system now, and can score.  She looks like she's gaining the good weight slowly but surely. By the time she's a senior, she'll probably be a force inside. One thing about her...she not shy ..and will get after it with the other bigs....and the 6-5 is intimidating to other teams

Washington will benefit from the redshirt....we just diidn't have the luxury of it for Havers...she was put in the battle right away.

Havers played really well yesterday.  Wish we could get that from her consistently.  Hopefully that will be there next year.

Like anyone, her shot may not always fall consistently, but you know what you're going to get from Havers. If she played 25 minutes, she'd probably average around 10-12 points per game, but there's always defensive considerations, too. Can she cover an athletic 4? 

Sample's very nearly the MVP of this team this year. It's her or Cady. Sample was again last night, drawing fouls, covering Grant for long stretches. Grant's a good player -- better than Illinois' system makes her look - but she really struggled last night. Some of that was Sample's doing.  

Havers played really well yesterday.  Wish we could get that from her consistently.  Hopefully that will be there next year.

Like anyone, her shot may not always fall consistently, but you know what you're going to get from Havers. If she played 25 minutes, she'd probably average around 10-12 points per game, but there's always defensive considerations, too. Can she cover an athletic 4? 

Sample's very nearly the MVP of this team this year. It's her or Cady. Sample was again last night, drawing fouls, covering Grant for long stretches. Grant's a good player -- better than Illinois' system makes her look - but she really struggled last night. Some of that was Sample's doing.  

My thought on Havers covering an athletic 4 is "not well".   She has been a 10-15 minute player due to defense and rebounding issues, not offense.  Hope she can get her forearms and hands stronger to help secure the ball, but her body type won't allow too many pounds to be added.

I agree with your comments about Sample.  Recall the blowing of the 17 point lead with 10 to go at Minnesota.  Sample got in foul trouble, and was out with 4 when most of the comeback occurred.  I realize we have a little more depth than we had then, but I think she really makes us go.  That might have been Grant's least productive game in a long time.