Hot potato

Norm Peterson

I've surveyed the threads on here since yesterday and there's a lot of angst and worry about our offense.  Which is certainly understandable.  Our offense is pretty bad right now.

Some are blaming Petteway.  Others think it must be the loss of Craig Smith.  Some say talent.  Some say bad match ups.

Here's what I think:  Right now, our offensive flow could best be described as a game of hot potato.

No one wants the ball.

Terran doesn't want the ball because everyone calls him a ball hog.  He generally passes it off until it comes back to him with about 10 seconds left and he has to do something with it.

Walter doesn't want the ball because he's not feeling it most of the time.

Benny sure as shit doesn't want the ball except to dribble up court and pass it off.

Shavon doesn't want it.  David Rivers?  He's like, wha'd you pass this thing to me for?

For a coach who says like the three but love the rim, all of our offense is going away from the rim.  We get very little action going toward the rim.

We get very little coordinated movement.

Dean Smith warned us a year ago about the lack of assists.  You can say, well, we rely on dribbling off of screens, and the assist for us is when someone sets a really good screen.  OK, so where are the baskets?  Anyone rolling off those screens?  Seeing any pick-and-pops?

We have virtually no low-post offense.  No high-low game.  And we can't shoot for crap from outside.  So, if a team is trying to prevent dribble penetration, we don't have anything to counter that.

Our current offense revolves around trying NOT to be the last person with the ball when the shot clock is running out.  Except for Petteway.  Who at least is willing to take shots.

Petteway is not the problem.

I've surveyed the threads on here since yesterday and there's a lot of angst and worry about our offense.  Which is certainly understandable.  Our offense is pretty bad right now.

Some are blaming Petteway.  Others think it must be the loss of Craig Smith.  Some say talent.  Some say bad match ups.

Here's what I think:  Right now, our offensive flow could best be described as a game of hot potato.

No one wants the ball.

Terran doesn't want the ball because everyone calls him a ball hog.  He generally passes it off until it comes back to him with about 10 seconds left and he has to do something with it.

Walter doesn't want the ball because he's not feeling it most of the time.

Benny sure as shit doesn't want the ball except to dribble up court and pass it off.

Shavon doesn't want it.  David Rivers?  He's like, wha'd you pass this thing to me for?

For a coach who says like the three but love the rim, all of our offense is going away from the rim.  We get very little action going toward the rim.

We get very little coordinated movement.

Dean Smith warned us a year ago about the lack of assists.  You can say, well, we rely on dribbling off of screens, and the assist for us is when someone sets a really good screen.  OK, so where are the baskets?  Anyone rolling off those screens?  Seeing any pick-and-pops?

We have virtually no low-post offense.  No high-low game.  And we can't shoot for crap from outside.  So, if a team is trying to prevent dribble penetration, we don't have anything to counter that.

Our current offense revolves around trying NOT to be the last person with the ball when the shot clock is running out.  Except for Petteway.  Who at least is willing to take shots.

Petteway is not the problem.

1.  I agree Petteway is not THE problem

2.  So are you thinking it's the timing of the shots?  AKA...waiting until the last possible second to throw up a shot? Because Shields, Pitch, and Parker are all averaging more FGA per game this year compared to last year.  Our offense was not great last year but it was far better than what we are seeing right now.  Maybe Rey was that big of a difference.  And if so, White seems to be a guy who will come in and not be afraid to shoot the rock next year.   

How much loving the rim is Benny Parker going to do? Or Walt? How much is Walt going to love the rim?

Teams generally only have to defend us for 10-15 seconds. Because it takes 10 seconds to get across the timeline and into our half court offense. And that means 10-15 seconds of us swinging the ball before we run Petteway off a screen.

I also agree, TP is not the problem. I think he is working overtime to be the solution, and that is too BIG of a load to carry. 

Execution, effort.....these are things that the players are in direct control of. I didn't see either yesterday. These guys need to start wanting that "hot potato". I looks like they are scared of the ball.

It doesn't seem like for the first 10-15 seconds we are even running anything to get a quality shot. Everything is like 23 to 25 feet from the basket.

I've been trying to say this since January. Oh well. We play 2-on-5, it's not that hard to guard. We don't have anyone who cares to score. It's unreal. I mean, hell, in high school I was 7th guy on a pretty good Class D team. Left-handed. You know what I wanted to do? Score. Set me on the left wing and I'll drive a guy baseline and try to score. And my coach wanted me to. We don't have anyone who wants to score. What the hell are you supposed to do in basketball? Watch? Blows my mind.

I've been trying to say this since January. Oh well. We play 2-on-5, it's not that hard to guard. We don't have anyone who cares to score. It's unreal. I mean, hell, in high school I was 7th guy on a pretty good Class D team. Left-handed. You know what I wanted to do? Score. Set me on the left wing and I'll drive a guy baseline and try to score. And my coach wanted me to. We don't have anyone who wants to score. What the hell are you supposed to do in basketball? Watch? Blows my mind.

By the time I got on the floor as part of the 30-30 club, we definitely played the give and go offense, give me the ball and go to hell.

Some good points in this thread.  Made me take a closer look at the actual numbers. 

Overall our shot percentage is down from last year - but really not all that much (42.7% to 42.0%).  Three point shooting percentage is off much more dramatically - 33.3% to 28.7%.     Petteway's shooting % from 3 is about the same (32.7% to 31.7%) - but Pitchford (41.0% to 30.5%) and Shields (31.6% to 19.5%) are WAY down in their 3 point shooting percentage.

I was surprised that everyone in the regular rotation (TP, Shields, Pitchford, Parker, Webster, Rivers) is averaging more shots per game than last season.   Obviously part of that is the loss of Gallegos you took 6.7 shots per game - and also Biggs who averaged over 7.5 shots per game while he was on the team.   The primary "new" guy is Tarin Smith who is just at 3.7 shots per game.  So the other guys have to pick up some slack (also getting fewer shots from the Leslie/Moses combination than we got from just Leslie last year).  Still I would have expected that Webster shot more last year (he certainly played more minutes last year)  but that is not the case - close but still slightly more shots/game this year (Tai's shooting %'s are also better than last year, but the improvement is from dismal to just bad).

Overall we are taking just over 1 less shot per game compared to last year - but attempting not quite 1 more 3Pt shot per game on average.   Not a positive difference given the shooting percentages but the changes don't seem that signfiicant either.   But then you look at the individual players and realize that last year Gallegos took more 3 pt shots than anyone on the team and that over 75% of Rey's shots were 3's.     So with Rey not in the rotation we have TP going from having 34% of his shots being 3 pt attempts last year to having him take over 47% of his shots as 3's this year.    Despite their dramatic reductions in 3 pt shooting % - Shields has gone from having 19% of his shots be 3's last year to 25% this year.  Walt took 52% of his shots from 3 last year - that is up to 60% this year.

Even without looking at the numbers if you just compare the two teams you would expect the team with Gallegos to take more 3's overall than the team without him - or at least that is what you would want.  That team had a guy who was purely a 3 pt shooter, a guy you definitely wanted to take most of his shots from outside the arc.  This one doesn't have that kind of player - but for some reason we are taking more 3's than last year - individually dramatically more 3's  - and perhaps not surprisingly we are not shooting them as well.

I will say that some of this can be do that teams are simply doing a better job of defending us this year.  Part of that is them figuring out how to deal with the TP / Shields combination.  Part of it is also do to the fact that we are an easier team to defend without a pure shooter like Gallegos.   I also think there is an element of this team just not finding a way to get quality shots - which to some extent is offensive system - but I think is just as much a reflection of the lack of confidence that the players have in their shooting ability right now - a reflection of the "hot potato" title to this thread.

One example from yesterday that I think illustrates the "hot potato" mentality is a possessionin the 2nd half.  TP has the ball on the wing and was trying to beat his guy off the dribble or get it to someone inside - both without success.  The entire time Benny was standing in the corner on that side all by himself - I don't think there was an Iowa player within 15 feet of him - and he was right there for TP to throw the ball to for a wide open shot.  But TP had no inclination to throw him the ball and Benny did not seem to want or expect TP to throw him the ball.    On the one level that illustrates why we are an easier team to defend - and why it is more difficult for TP to get better shots because he has to also beat the guy helping off of Benny.   At the same time when I looked at the stats this morning I realized that Benny has the best percentage on the team from 3 point range - 33.3%.  That is not a "great" percentage by any means, particularly when you realize he only takes them if he is wide open.  But still you have to wonder about being in a situation where your best % 3 pt shooter is standing alone outside the arc and he doesn't want the ball and the player with the ball doesn't really even consider throwing it to him.

Who loves the rim?

Fuller does.

I realize he's the popular answer right now, but he's made four buckets three feet and in during the past two games.  Anyone else able to say that?

He's got a nose for the ball and cuts to the hoop.

Who loves the rim?

Fuller does.

I realize he's the popular answer right now, but he's made four buckets three feet and in during the past two games.  Anyone else able to say that?

The problem was that Fuller passed up shots as well.  These guys are missing their mojo and honestly, I am not sure how they get it back in the short term.

Who loves the rim?

Fuller does.

The problem was that Fuller passed up shots as well.  These guys are missing their mojo and honestly, I am not sure how they get it back in the short term.

Oh, I'm not saying the dude is perfect by any means. 

Norm had mentioned that we aren't taking the ball to the hoop; we aren't making any motion to get to the hoop.  Fuller has some of that now that he's playing again.  We need a whole bunch more guys to do it along with him.

It kind of galls me to say this, but did anyone see what happens when Gesell took it to the basket.  He has great...errrr...court vision.  He looks to score, but also is quick to dish if somebody slides to provide help.  As a result, Iowa had a number of open looks and they banged them down. 

The problem when TSmith or TP or any other player penetrated and passed the ball to the open man one of three things seemed to happen: (1) missed the open shot; (2) fumbled the ball away; (3) hesitated and passed the ball rather than take the open look. :blink:

Not sure this has anything to do with anything, but this might belong here.  Immediately after the Huskers/Iowa game, the Warriors/Indiana game was on.  I rarely watch the Pros, but the difference in offense (always attacking), and 24 sec shot clock, was (heartbreakingly) educational.  :ph34r:

It bothers me when all the other teams know that you usually only have to worry about Petteway and Shields taking a shot. And you know Shields will probably pass open a wide open shot to try and drive into the middle for his shot.  All the other guys on the floor have the "I'm not taking the shot, you take it."  I don't understand it.  When I played and I would still think it applies today  is when I'm passed the ball, I'm thinking how can I score.  If I'm open for a shot that I can make a decent percentage of, I'm shooting it. If I think I can dribble to the basket and get a better shot, I did.  I was thinking of what my shot was going to be first and secondly to a teammate for a better percentage shot.  Our guys are thinking about who they are going to pass to first and then shooting.  If you are open, take the shot.  If you can't shoot worth a crap then you shouldn't have been recruited to Nebraska.

Don't mean to pick on Benny but how many times do we throw to him and he's wide open and he won't take the shot unless he's forced to?  How many times has Rivers caught the ball and made an attempt to score?  He never drives to the basket.  He'll only shoot a 15 footer if forced to.  Got to be one of the easiest guys to guard. 

It seems like coaches and tv announcers are always worried about taking a shot early in the shot clock. As bad as our offense has become I say screw it.  Whenever you're open for an uncontested makeable shot, take it!  We probably have a better chance of making that than waiting till 10 seconds and expecting Petteway to come up with a good or even average  shot.

It bothers me when all the other teams know that you usually only have to worry about Petteway and Shields taking a shot. And you know Shields will probably pass open a wide open shot to try and drive into the middle for his shot.  All the other guys on the floor have the "I'm not taking the shot, you take it."  I don't understand it.  When I played and I would still think it applies today  is when I'm passed the ball, I'm thinking how can I score.  If I'm open for a shot that I can make a decent percentage of, I'm shooting it. If I think I can dribble to the basket and get a better shot, I did.  I was thinking of what my shot was going to be first and secondly to a teammate for a better percentage shot.  Our guys are thinking about who they are going to pass to first and then shooting.  If you are open, take the shot.  If you can't shoot worth a crap then you shouldn't have been recruited to Nebraska.

Don't mean to pick on Benny but how many times do we throw to him and he's wide open and he won't take the shot unless he's forced to?  How many times has Rivers caught the ball and made an attempt to score?  He never drives to the basket.  He'll only shoot a 15 footer if forced to.  Got to be one of the easiest guys to guard. 

It seems like coaches and tv announcers are always worried about taking a shot early in the shot clock. As bad as our offense has become I say screw it.  Whenever you're open for an uncontested makeable shot, take it!  We probably have a better chance of making that than waiting till 10 seconds and expecting Petteway to come up with a good or even average  shot.

Is receiving the ball in the triple threat position passe' or is it still taught?  When the ball is received, you should be in a position to pass, shoot or dribble.  I think our players at times are missing one of those components :)

It kind of galls me to say this, but did anyone see what happens when Gesell took it to the basket.  He has great...errrr...court vision.  He looks to score, but also is quick to dish if somebody slides to provide help.  As a result, Iowa had a number of open looks and they banged them down. 

The problem when TSmith or TP or any other player penetrated and passed the ball to the open man one of three things seemed to happen: (1) missed the open shot; (2) fumbled the ball away; (3) hesitated and passed the ball rather than take the open look. :blink:

One thing that happened with Gesell was that our pack line defense failed.

The whole point of the pack line D is to stop dribble penetration.  How the hell is Gesell getting into the middle of the lane, then?  On the dribble, no less? 

Depending on where the penetration is coming from, the other players are supposed to help and then recover to their man and close out any shooter.  In the midst of that 21-2 run, we were blowing defensive assignments, not recovering to our man, leaving shooters open, biting on pump fakes and getting driven on.

Pack line D, you absolutely should not be biting on pump fakes of jump shooters.  You should absolutely not be flying by them in the air as they're putting it on the floor to drive.  Did that happen last night?  Oh hell yeah.

We did a poor job of closing out on shooters and we did a poor job stopping penetration.  And they really hurt us for it.  So, while offense was a big part of the problem last night, our defense wasn't up to par either.

It was an all-around bad effort last night.  One I hope never to see repeated.  Which is why I'm bringing some reading material to the Maryland game.  Perhaps the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.

Give me a starting 5 of Petteway, a confident (mentally confident) Shields, Brian Conklin, Cary Cochran, and Nate Johnson.  I'm not sure we'd have many rebounds but it's not like we do now.  At least Shields and Petteway would have plenty of room to drive because of the outside shooting of the others, and Nate's ability to drive as well.

One thing that happened with Gesell was that our pack line defense failed.

The whole point of the pack line D is to stop dribble penetration.  How the hell is Gesell getting into the middle of the lane, then?  On the dribble, no less? 

Depending on where the penetration is coming from, the other players are supposed to help and then recover to their man and close out any shooter.  In the midst of that 21-2 run, we were blowing defensive assignments, not recovering to our man, leaving shooters open, biting on pump fakes and getting driven on.

Pack line D, you absolutely should not be biting on pump fakes of jump shooters.  You should absolutely not be flying by them in the air as they're putting it on the floor to drive.  Did that happen last night?  Oh hell yeah.

We did a poor job of closing out on shooters and we did a poor job stopping penetration.  And they really hurt us for it.  So, while offense was a big part of the problem last night, our defense wasn't up to par either.

It was an all-around bad effort last night.  One I hope never to see repeated.  Which is why I'm bringing some reading material to the Maryland game.  Perhaps the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.

I was probably more disappointed in our defensive effort than our offensive execution. Rather simple: neither were good, but defensive effort can keep you in games when shots aren't falling (see Cincy game).