HHCC Game #27 - Feb 22 vs Iowa (2:00)

UsAlways_AJS

Minor point of contention. We are not IU. We are the University of Iowa, or UI for short. We don't understand how you guys are NU when your school is called the University of Nebraska (at Lincoln). We will honor your pig-latin approach if you agree to quit confusing us with Indiana University.

Minor point of contention. We are not IU. We are the University of Iowa, or UI for short. We don't understand how you guys are NU when your school is called the University of Nebraska (at Lincoln). We will honor your pig-latin approach if you agree to quit confusing us with Indiana University.

"Dear Old Nebraska U" aka "There is No Place Like Nebraska" has been one of our fight songs for nearly century. I'm not sure of the origins, but there is some history there.

It's a Big 8 thing, you wouldn't understand.

So what's Illinois?

But back to the Big 8 thing for a minute...I don't know when it happened exactly, but the Flagship Universities of the Big 8 decided to use the U second, a practice commonly reserved for private schools, probably so as to differentiate themselves I guess so we had:

University of Colorado at Boulder = CU

University of Kansas = KU

University of Missouri - Columbia = MU

University of Nebraska - Lincoln = NU

University of Oklahoma = OU

It wasn't always that way, though.  If you look at historical buildings and or photographs of the UNL campus, you'll see references to the "U of N" commonly used.  The shooting shirts the basketball team will wear tomorrow (throwbacks from the mid-50's) will say "Univ. of Nebr." on them

So yeah, welcome to the board and this concludes your Big 8 history lesson for the day.

"Dear Old Nebraska U" aka "There is No Place Like Nebraska" has been one of our fight songs for nearly century. I'm not sure of the origins, but there is some history there.

Why would we quit calling you IU? me thinks if it bugs Iowa to be called that, all the more reason to call the beaks IU.