Benny in Transition

I apologize if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but am I the only one who cringes everytime Benny gets out into the open floor?  He is horrible in a one on one transition scenario and continues to take it at the defender every single time and rarely ever is successful in doing so.  I'm all for being aggressive and finding ways to score in transition, but at some point you've got to realize you're just smaller than most defenders and that it might be smarter to pull it out and potentially get a better shot.

I apologize if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but am I the only one who cringes everytime Benny gets out into the open floor?  He is horrible in a one on one transition scenario and continues to take it at the defender every single time and rarely ever is successful in doing so.  I'm all for being aggressive and finding ways to score in transition, but at some point you've got to realize you're just smaller than most defenders and that it might be smarter to pull it out and potentially get a better shot.

I like it better than the BP that would never take it to the rim. Yeah, he's somewhat of an oddity for a guy his size in that he's not a particularly exceptional passer or ball handler.

A lot of guys will use their speed advantage, and he has it, to draw contact and fouls. As good as BP is at making FTs, that's what he needs to improve on for next year.

I do agree that Benny is horrible in transition and need to either dish it or pull it back out.  If he could draw contact and get fouled, that would be one thing but he doesn't.  He just ends up getting it blocked or turning it over.  And when you are a team that is scoring challenged like we are, every possession counts.

I've wondered about this too.  It's nothing against Benny; he's my favorite player to watch, zooming around the court stealing the ball and creating turnovers.

But as you've noted, after a steal, more often than not the transition doesn't result in any points, nor a foul.  Most times his steals are takeaways, and the 'stealee' is hot on his heels all the way down the court.

In this scenario, it seems it would make sense for Benny to hesitate momentarily before going to the rim so the 'stealee' overshoots, possibly fouling, and if not, giving Benny an uncontested shot or lay-up.   Or, if anyone else in in play, this seems like the perfect time for an assist.

Where am I going wrong here?  (Anyone?)

Benny's much better in transition than Bruce Jenner.

Benny's much better in transition than Bruce Jenner.

Norm, I'm not gonna lie; that's funny as hell.....