WBB: Game #11 @ South Florida

Row6Seat10

Nebraska Cornhuskers (7-3) at South Florida Bulls (8-0)

Sunday, Dec. 16, 1 p.m. (CST)

Sun Dome (Tampa, Fla.)

Premium Internet Video: HuskersNside

(premium subscribers, provided by GoUSFBulls.com)

Radio: 25-Station IMG College Husker Sports Network (PBP-Matt Coatney; Analyst-Jeff Griesch) KBBK 107.3 FM, Lincoln; KFFF 93.3 FM, Omaha, KRVN 880 AM, Lexington; KNEB 94.1 FM Scottsbluff; KHAS 1230 AM, Hastings)

Free Internet Audio: Huskers.com

Huskers Face Second Straight Unbeaten Florida School at USF

The Nebraska women's basketball team closes non-conference road action, when the Huskers travel to Tampa to take on unbeaten South Florida on Sunday afternoon. Tip-off between the Huskers (7-3) and the Bulls (8-0) is set for 1 p.m. (cst).

Nebraska heads to Tampa to take on South Florida in the Huskers' second straight matchup with an unbeaten team from the state of Florida. USF, which returns four starters and 11 letterwinners including eight seniors from a team that went 19-16 overall and 8-8 in the Big East, advanced to the 2012 WNIT Sweet 16.

The Bulls enter Sunday's showdown with the Huskers at 8-0 after a 92-52 win at Jacksonville on Dec. 8. Seven of USF's wins have been by double digits, including six wins by 20 or more points. Coach Jose Fernandez's Bulls' only close battles came at Clemson (75-73 OT, Nov. 13) and at home against Bradley (60-50, Nov. 20). Their last five wins have come by an average of 31.6 points per game.

Through eight games, USF is averaging 74 points per game, while surrendering just 50 points per contest. Injuries have caused USF some instability at point guard, where senior starter Kaneisha Saunders has missed the last four games with a high ankle sprain. Sasha Bernard, a fifth-year senior, is coming off an ACL tear after starting nine games last year, and freshman Laura Marcos Canedo is out after undergoing foot surgery.

Nebraska is 2-0 all-time against South Florida.

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers

3 - Hailie Sample - 6-1 - So. - F

23 - Emily Cady - 6-2 - So. - F

35 - Jordan Hooper - 6-2 - Jr. - F

00 - Lindsey Moore - 5-9 - Sr. - G

24 - Rachel Theriot - 6-0 - Fr. - G

South Florida Bulls

0 - Tahira Johnson - 6-1 - Sr. - F

4 - Tiffany Conner - 5-9 - Sr. - F

12 - Andrell Smith - 5-8 - Sr. - G

21 - Andrea Smith - 5-8 - Sr. - G

13 - Inga Orekhova - 6-2 - Jr. - G

Huskers Travel to Tampa to Battle Unbeaten Bulls……..huskers.com

This post has been promoted to an article

B1G Standings

Purdue (9-1)

Michigan State (8-1)

Michigan (9-2)

Penn State (8-2)

Minnesota (9-3)

Iowa (7-3)

Nebraska (7-3)

Wisconsin (7-3)

Northwestern (6-3)

Ohio State (6-3)

Illinois (6-4)

Indiana (6-4)

B1G Games for Sunday, December 16

Nebraska at South Florida

Southern Illinois-Edwardsville at Indiana

IPFW at Michigan State

South Dakota State at Penn State

Purdue at Oakland

Iowa at Drake

I thought about whether I should bother to comment because every game is pretty much the same. Moore and Hooper do good and we win the game. I'm not sure if they should throw the ball to Williams. Four times in a row they threw her the ball and we had 4 turnovers. Row6 mentioned in his above post that Cady had 4 points and 4 rebounds with 11:37 left in the first half. She ended up playing the rest of the game with 0 points (althought she did have 10 rebounds). We have to have more points out of her everygame, not just once every 3-4 games. For the minutes she gets, Theriot has to give us more than 1 point and 4 turnovers. When we lose Moore next year, I'm not sure where we are going to get her points.

That said, it was a good solid win on the road. After getting whipped on the road at Creighton and South Dakota St., I wasn't sure what to expect today.

I was at the game today (moved to Orlando last spring). Great win against a team that will make the tourney. One of the most physical games I've ever seen! USF is big and athletic but Connie definately gets the game ball for this one as she made multiple adjustments to take away what USF liked to do. I actually thought the officiating wasn't that bad, as physical as it got out there. Was disappointed to be tied at halftime as I thought we played pretty well the first half. Defense inthe second half was suffocating and "T" lead the charge, she really started to bother their guards and everything started to break down for USF. Theroit may not have had a great line but I thought she did a lot of little things well that don't show up on the stat sheet. Emily was really bothered by USF's physicality and didn't have a great game. Moore and Hooper were nails and both hit monster shots especially in the second half. Was really fun being around other Husker fans and cheering the ladies on to victory!

Nice road win over an undefeated team. Maybe the S. Dakota St. loss isn't so bad since the Jackrabbits played Penn St. tough in State College. A third, consistent scoring option must be found and the depth seems to shaky at all positions. Could be a tough time in the conference. Time will tell.