The difference between 54 and 104 is ...

Norm Peterson

Just remember, we could easily be 154 instead of 104 as well. The law of averages seems to work magic at times.

Some teams overachieve.  Some underachieve.  Would you accuse this team of overachieving when you compare our talent level to our win/loss record?  Or do you think we've won about as many games we should have lost as we've lost games we should have won?

Maybe you haven't been following the board, but there's been a lot of angst about how much worse this team is than it was a year ago and suggesting that last year was a fluke and a one year flash in the pan. 

And I'm saying there were a couple of hiccups this season where we clearly lost to inferior teams and you take away those losses and we'd be about where everyone would have expected us to be this season.

In other words, we ain't that bad.  Except for a couple of hiccups, this is about the team we thought we'd have.  That's been my point.

Thread makes all good points.  Rhode Island turned out to be a pretty good team after all.  Hawaii must have been playing way over their head as they took Wichita State down the wire in the following game, losing by one point 80-79 in OT.

It seems to me the two worst losses are Incarnate Word (last minute lapses, or maybe poor BB IQ), and just lethargy in the loss to a weakened Michigan. 

"What if" threads are created every single year... it's human nature. But I hate seeing statements like "We should have beat Incarnate Word and Hawaii, and if we'd have done that, we'd be sitting in a much better place." People always forget about our close wins and don't ever wonder about the "what if" results of those games. We were somewhat lucky to beat Cincinnati, Loyola Marymount, and Minnesota.

Just remember, we could easily be 154 instead of 104 as well. The law of averages seems to work magic at times.

Some teams overachieve.  Some underachieve.  Would you accuse this team of overachieving when you compare our talent level to our win/loss record?  Or do you think we've won about as many games we should have lost as we've lost games we should have won?

Maybe you haven't been following the board, but there's been a lot of angst about how much worse this team is than it was a year ago and suggesting that last year was a fluke and a one year flash in the pan. 

And I'm saying there were a couple of hiccups this season where we clearly lost to inferior teams and you take away those losses and we'd be about where everyone would have expected us to be this season.

In other words, we ain't that bad.  Except for a couple of hiccups, this is about the team we thought we'd have.  That's been my point.

"What if" threads are created every single year... it's human nature. But I hate seeing statements like "We should have beat Incarnate Word and Hawaii, and if we'd have done that, we'd be sitting in a much better place." People always forget about our close wins and don't ever wonder about the "what if" results of those games. We were somewhat lucky to beat Cincinnati, Loyola Marymount, and Minnesota.

Norm, I agree that outside of a few bad losses, we really aren't in such a bad position at the end of the season. And as a team that is striving to overachieve, they're really not far off from where they should be this year. But there also have been far more "ugly" games this year (win or lose). Actuary hit my overarching point that you can't just look at the loses and say "if only we beat xyz..." You also have to look at the "wow, we easily could have lost that game to xyz." So in the grand scheme of things, if your "what-if we lost" exceeds "what-if we won" games, then either a little bit of luck is on your side or you truly are exceeding expectations as a team.

You missed the point but I give up trying to explain it. Sort of moot after yesterday.