Here's my answer.

Norm Peterson

Sorry to start a new thread about an ongoing topic, but this could have gone in any of about 5 different threads and, in the end, I couldn't decide which one to put it in and just decided to do like everyone else did and start a new thread.

What's the problem with this team?  What needs to be done to fix it?  Are we even gonna make the NIT?  I want to watch more high-tempo "fun" offense.  We're getting "out-coached."  Has it hurt more than we thought to lose Craig Smith?  Etc.  Nah, I don't think it's any of that stuff.

Here's what I think:

I think it's time for a players-only meeting and for some guys to step forward and take some accountability.  Our current struggles aren't about coaching.  Our current struggles are about players not making plays.  There's only so much the coaches can do.  It's time for the guys to fix themselves.

Clear the air.  Get their heads right.  Decide that they're better than they've been playing and that the biggest thing holding them back is themselves.  Win the whole damn thing.

It's time.

A big problem I have noticed is how few actions we have that are going to the rim. The only action we have is the back-cut in our revolving offense of the ball-screens hand-off that we run until the shot clock has gone down and we find Petteway to get a crappy shot.

If you watch Virginia play, so much of their action goes to the hoop. Their go to, revolving offense is the 3 out, 2 post in the mid range offense that sets a flare on one side and a down screen on the other side at the same time. Then posts roll to get post touches. But the primary point of this is that guys are curling to the rim and attacking the paint with their cuts, and the passers hit them in rhythm to get paint touches.

That's why they're so efficient, IMO, great cutting action with unselfish passing that gets paint touches. Also, they get posts the ball on the block, something we rarely do. People don't realize, a post touch is vital to an offense. And it's just the touch, it doesn't mean the dude has to score. He just needs to face up and draw two.

Just my thoughts. Could be wrong! Probably am!

Here's mine:  Recruit better.  Get classes like 2014 (White plus the November signees), vs. 2011, 2012, 2013 classes.

Are players not making plays because of some mental problem that simply requires "accountability", "getting heads right", deciding to make plays?  Maybe somewhat, but I think we have a lot of guys on the court who are pretty limited offensively.  A players only meeting isn't going to have Benny grow a few inches and handle the ball better, have Rivers develop as an offensive threat, give Moses some hands and footwork, give Leslie some lift, give Tarin and Tai consistent shots from outside of 15 feet.  Finally, it's hard to say what the deal is with Walt.  Perhaps he would benefit the most from the boot camp like approach.

Personally, I don't think we are a good team that is just playing bad.  We've been a pretty bad team since the exhibition game.  Because we defend, we stay in games and have a chance to win some.  I'll hope for the best with this group, but look forward to bringing in some new talent. 

mine: 

Are players not making plays because of some mental problem that simply requires "accountability", "getting heads

Personally, I don't think we are a good team that is just playing bad.  We've been a pretty bad team since the exhibition game.  Because we defend, we stay in games and have a chance to win some.  I'll hope for the best with this group, but look forward to bringing in some new talent.

Ewww... I dunno HB. Obviously I agree recruiting and team building is the most important thing. But I disagree with your assessment of this team and how good they are. We have two 6'7" guys who have shown the ability to get 25+ at any given time. That's more than 95% of the teams in the NCAA can say. We play incredible defense. And they may be limited in their offensive games, but we got two big dudes who should be able to do SOMETHING.

I think our issues are quite mental. I think we're gonna be fine towards the end of the B1G run. Just my thoughts

mine: 

Are players not making plays because of some mental problem that simply requires "accountability", "getting heads

Ewww... I dunno HB. Obviously I agree recruiting and team building is the most important thing. But I disagree with your assessment of this team and how good they are. We have two 6'7" guys who have shown the ability to get 25+ at any given time. That's more than 95% of the teams in the NCAA can say. We play incredible defense. And they may be limited in their offensive games, but we got two big dudes who should be able to do SOMETHING.

I think our issues are quite mental. I think we're gonna be fine towards the end of the B1G run. Just my thoughts

At that point it may be too late....We have 5 road games and 4 home games remaining.  Out of the home games two feature the top two teams in the Big 10.  And at this point...I'm not sure outside of PSU if this team can win a game on the road.  I think we are going to find it tough to be in position to get a NIT bid considering our schedule.  We will probably be underdogs in 7 out of the last 9 games.  All year we have been waiting for a third scoring option to show up...it hasn't happened and at this point it doesn't appear it will happen.  Shields and Petteway are typically very solid but like most players they have nights where they are "off."  When that happens it's almost a guaranteed loss for us.  Hoping and praying that next year White will be that third scorer. 

Here's mine:  Recruit better.  Get classes like 2014 (White plus the November signees), vs. 2011, 2012, 2013 classes.

We've done that for next year and probably will going forward. How does that help this year?

I'm not sure if we go anywhere but seeing this team finish with some heart will make me feel better regardless of whom we add next year. I saw some in Minny...didn't see a whole lot in Michigan.

mine: 

At that point it may be too late....We have 5 road games and 4 home games remaining.  Out of the home games two feature the top two teams in the Big 10.  And at this point...I'm not sure outside of PSU if this team can win a game on the road.  I think we are going to find it tough to be in position to get a NIT bid considering our schedule.  We will probably be underdogs in 7 out of the last 9 games.  All year we have been waiting for a third scoring option to show up...it hasn't happened and at this point it doesn't appear it will happen.  Shields and Petteway are typically very solid but like most players they have nights where they are "off."  When that happens it's almost a guaranteed loss for us.  Hoping and praying that next year White will be that third scorer.

Well I guess there we have it... Better just shut the squad down and close the doors. Start working on next year.

Jones has forgotten more basketball Xs and Os than I have ever known, so I respect his differing view point.

If our situation is primarily mental, it seems strange that it has lasted several months.  We were behind at halftime to Southwest Minnesota State in the exhibition game.  We lost at home to Incarnate Word.  We had to go overtime in Hawaii to a 300 + RPI team.  Several guys on the floor have struggled with poor shooting and turnovers for extended periods of time.   We just haven't been a good team throughout the year, not just for a stretch where we weren't making shots, having a bad mental approach, etc.

I think the problems are more profound than can be solved with a closed door meeting.  I don't think for the most part it has been an effort or heart thing (Michigan excepted).  I don't think it's guys not accepting their roles, or that we have bad chemistry.  All the usual suspects when a talented team plays poorly.   For the most part I don't think we're as talented as many of our posters do.  Miles has said several times that we're very limited after our 2 wings offensively.  Not sure that can change by just firing up the mental approach. 

Having said all that, I think Jones over-interprets posts like Baseball 13 and mine.  I specifically mentioned that our excellent D gives us a chance to win some games.   We could get playing better and win enough to get into some post season play.  We're not giving up on the season.    I would love to see a sudden "switch" turn on and we play really good basketball.   But nothing about the entire season suggests we're going to turn into an NCAA tournament type of team.   I will still be at the games cheering us on and hoping for dramatic improvement, but it is OK to start looking to the future also. 

Jones has forgotten more basketball Xs and Os than I have ever known, so I respect his differing view point.

Easy now, don't go too far, haha.  I have coached at the hs level, GA'ed at the college level, and now I'm back coaching hs ball -- but I'm still quite the novice.  Poster DeanSmith is the resident, "forgotten more about basketball than we know," poster here.  

If our situation is primarily mental, it seems strange that it has lasted several months.  We were behind at halftime to Southwest Minnesota State in the exhibition game.  We lost at home to Incarnate Word.  We had to go overtime in Hawaii to a 300 + RPI team.  Several guys on the floor have struggled with poor shooting and turnovers for extended periods of time.   We just haven't been a good team throughout the year, not just for a stretch where we weren't making shots, having a bad mental approach, etc.

Example of two people seeing the same thing, two different ways, and both having their merits.  I see that as prime examples of why our issues are mental.  We play to our competition. It's the same reason we were able to beat Michigan State.  We bring inconsistent effort and mental toughness. I love TP, but he's a prime example of this attitude wise. And as good of a guy as Shavon is, he does the same thing. Inconsistent attitude and effort.  

Having said all that, I think Jones over-interprets posts like Baseball 13 and mine.  I specifically mentioned that our excellent D gives us a chance to win some games.   We could get playing better and win enough to get into some post season play.  We're not giving up on the season.    I would love to see a sudden "switch" turn on and we play really good basketball.   But nothing about the entire season suggests we're going to turn into an NCAA tournament type of team.   I will still be at the games cheering us on and hoping for dramatic improvement, but it is OK to start looking to the future also. 

I was just kidding, sarcasm is hard to read on the internet. My bad.  

Rey had a very, very specific role that no one on our current squad can fill.  

We do have enough current talent to beat any team in the B1G.  We just have to play really well to do so, and so do they to beat us.

That's why the conference is so jumbled in the middle.  Only Wisky has the talent to have off nights and still out-talent and out-system the opponent.

I look forward to the day when our best effort isn't necessary for a win, but that time isn't now.  I think it's next season.  So, now, we have to play well--and loose.  It's time to be an underdog.  It's time to shoot when you're open.

I'm still optimistic about this season.  I still think we are an excellent home court team.  I'm glad we have ranked opponents coming in.  I'm glad we have the talent to win the B1G tourney.  Fight to the end.  I don't feel like effort has been poor this year--our defense says otherwise.  You have to make shots to win games.  Unfortunately, we don't have a designated spot up shooter.  I think that's just the breaks of a new coaching staff transitioning to their system.  

That said, I'm still excited for THIS season.  Good defensive teams do better in tournaments because shooters sometimes clam up on the foreign court.  Let's have fun and see what happens.  There is no "state of the program" conversation to be had because it's still trending remarkably in the right direction.  

We play to our competition. It's the same reason we were able to beat Michigan State.  We bring inconsistent effort and mental toughness. I love TP, but he's a prime example of this attitude wise. And as good of a guy as Shavon is, he does the same thing. Inconsistent attitude and effort.  

It's tough to argue against this.

mine: 

Well I guess there we have it... Better just shut the squad down and close the doors. Start working on next year.

That's what you got out of my post? Interesting.  Should we not take a realistic approach to our remaining games based on what we have seen out of this team thus far?  What in your mind is a "run" that you are expecting down the stretch?  I will be very happy if this team finds a way to finish .500 in league play based on our remaining schedule. 

Are players not making plays because of some mental problem that simply requires "accountability", "getting heads right", deciding to make plays?  Maybe somewhat, but I think we have a lot of guys on the court who are pretty limited offensively.  A players only meeting isn't going to have Benny grow a few inches and handle the ball better, have Rivers develop as an offensive threat, give Moses some hands and footwork, give Leslie some lift, give Tarin and Tai consistent shots from outside of 15 feet.  Finally, it's hard to say what the deal is with Walt.  Perhaps he would benefit the most from the boot camp like approach.

True, a players-only meeting won't make Benny 6'1".  But even a 5'9" Doc Sadler recruit has some sort of baseline level of ability.  Is he playing to it?  In spite of his limitations otherwise, is David Rivers playing as well as he can?   Is Terran?  Is Walt?

Is Shavon Shields, who is averaging twice as many turnovers this year and shooting half as well from three compared to conference play a year ago, playing as well as he is able?

I disagree with you in that I do see a good team that is just playing bad.  They're not in sync with each other.  They don't seem to have cohesion.  The whole is less than the sum of the parts.  I see guys who are better than how they're playing.

Sorry to start a new thread about an ongoing topic, but this could have gone in any of about 5 different threads and, in the end, I couldn't decide which one to put it in and just decided to do like everyone else did and start a new thread.

What's the problem with this team?  What needs to be done to fix it?  Are we even gonna make the NIT?  I want to watch more high-tempo "fun" offense.  We're getting "out-coached."  Has it hurt more than we thought to lose Craig Smith?  Etc.  Nah, I don't think it's any of that stuff.

Here's what I think:

I think it's time for a players-only meeting and for some guys to step forward and take some accountability.  Our current struggles aren't about coaching.  Our current struggles are about players not making plays.  There's only so much the coaches can do.  It's time for the guys to fix themselves.

Clear the air.  Get their heads right.  Decide that they're better than they've been playing and that the biggest thing holding them back is themselves.  Win the whole damn thing.

It's time.

Well, it may not have technically been a "player's only" meeting, but a meeting was held before the Minnesota game with some "venting" and who knows what else.  Obviously it didn't seem to increase their quality of play on the court much.  

Nebraska held a team meeting Thursday before practice, Miles said, with some positive venting leading to an energetic practice.

“The sky’s not falling every time you lose a game,’’ he said. “But Michigan was an opportunity lost. It was such a disappointing performance.’’

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/miles-says-nu-must-jump-start-its-offense/article_3c8924d0-7b86-5bef-bed0-d6c19ae43cb1.html

mine: 

That's what you got out of my post? Interesting.  Should we not take a realistic approach to our remaining games based on what we have seen out of this team thus far?  What in your mind is a "run" that you are expecting down the stretch?  I will be very happy if this team finds a way to finish .500 in league play based on our remaining schedule.

Sorry, was just kidding. Sarcasm + Internet = doesn't compute

mine: 

My apologies, I didn't catch it.  With that said many of us would probably have a different outlook on the season up to this point if we took care of business like we should have vs Creighton and Incarnate Word.  I think we will take some lumps down the stretch but I'm still pretty excited about the short and long term future.  Now if we could just find that big man we have been waiting for!

mine: 

Need the wink emoji, I think... ;)

mine: 

My apologies, I didn't catch it.  With that said many of us would probably have a different outlook on the season up to this point if we took care of business like we should have vs Creighton and Incarnate Word.  I think we will take some lumps down the stretch but I'm still pretty excited about the short and long term future.  Now if we could just find that big man we have been waiting for!

So, are you saying we shouldn't have lost at home to Creighton or Incarnate Word?  That we're better than that?  Even though we have a 5'9" PG who has never been an offensive threat?

I agree.  I think we are better than that.  We're a better team than the way we've played all season long.  Not so good that I expected us to beat Wisconsin on the road.  But we're certainly a better team and field better talent than what our level of play in our last couple of losses would suggest.

And that's why everyone is asking for answers about what's going wrong.  If it was simply a matter of having inferior talent, I think people would have already reached that conclusion and accepted the fact we're still a year or more away.  But I think most people would say we have better talent than the results would suggest.  And, therefore, something must be wrong.  Something fixable.

I submit that we have a bunch of guys who had high expectations of themselves, got off to a rough start, and haven't figured out yet how to right the ship.

I'm not worried.  They'll either figure it out yet this season and come back next year determined not to let it happen again, or they'll finish poorly and have an angry off-season in which they vow to get the bitter taste out of their mouths.  Either way, I expect next year to look much better.

I've been looking at numbers and tweeting them with @HuskerHC. Our offensive average is down 4 points per game and our turnovers are up two per game. Petteway, Shields and Pitchford are up 2.8 turnovers per game this season. If we just averaged what we did last year, we'd likely be 15-6 (5-4). People would be nearly ecstatic is my guess. Two turnovers, two possessions and four points is just little attention to detail type things. My guess is Tim has seen these numbers because he's a geek for this stuff. Weh shoot the same percentage (.426 - .427), we rebound at the same clip (33-33), we still don't assist the ball (10-10). But the other stuff? Those are fixable things, but you gotta be really, really focused and good to fix them. We've been a team that has lacked focus at times during this season and it has cost us some games. Important ones at that.

Here's what I think:

It's time.

I'd like to take this opportunity to offer the dining area at Conlee's for the players only meeting.  We might not be quite as handy as Lincoln Southwest, but I promise there will be no recording devices if someone wants to call the Athletic Director a "see you next Tuesday".

Kudos Norm, for this thread!   :)   A lot of great discussion and thoughts, all of them positive (not a 'negative nancy' among them). I'd give everyone contributing an automatic +1 if I could.

(I really didn't mean to give "Dimes' that down arrow (finger-twitch))  B)

I'm sure the coaching staff is tearing their hair out (all except Harriman, of course) trying to figure out how to right the ship and  get back to a higher level of play.   Defense has been stellar, but no matter how good it is, Defense won't win the game if you can't score!