TP tonight

jason2486

Lots of season left, but tonight was scary. I know it's been touched on, but Petteway's body language coming off a huge game entering a game that would've moved us up the B1G rankings was strange. I don't think I've seen him sleepwalk through a game like tonight. He does so much for us, so maybe he's worn down. Also, some on here mentioned the Dirk article and the subtle jab at TP and SS and the offense going through them. You wonder if TP hears something like that, it maybe bothers him? Whatever his deal was, I hope he recovers for Saturday. He is such a great player. We can't afford another night like tonight.

Michigan is well coached and did a great job tonight.  Had their team far more ready to play than Miles had us ready to.  And then outadjusted Miles big time at the half.  Another scenario where I am wondering if losing Smith hurts us more than I thought.  Not sure Miles is quite as good at X and O as I once thought and Smith may well be why. 

We could very well go 3-0 in our next three and be right back on track with needing a few big wins.

Just looked it up... we were 3-6 after the Michigan debacle last year when we went on our run.  We were staring no postseason right in the face.

We are currently 4-4 with 10 left

4 home games

6 away games

4 games are against teams below us in the standings as of today.

3 of those games are on the road.

So we have a chance at 3 road wins right there starting with this Saturday.  We then have a lot of big games at home.  

WE CAN DO THIS IF ANY PLAYERS ARE READING THIS, YOU CAN DO IT.... LOOK NO FURTHER THAN A YEAR AGO AROUND THIS TIME.

I knew Beilein was a good coach, I'm starting to think he should have been named the outright Big Ten Coach of the Year last season. That was an amazing performance by the Wolverines this evening. UM had every answer with the switching zone defenses all night. It was truly impressive, and man oh man does Nebraska's combined shooting efforts seem terribly out-of-sync away from PBA. There just might be something to the loose rims at home, or else the rims at Crisler were as stiff as any around. Wow, that was anemic offense by NU; conversely, great D by Mich. Beilein has won 4 straight over Miles.

Assessing the Big Red, it seemed like several Huskers thought this one would not be all that difficult without Caris LeVert & Derrick Walton available for UM & no one over about 6'-6" either. Wish that Nebraska could have shot the ball better when shots were there (because there weren't many), that 1st half was ridiculous as NU would've had a 10-pt lead had they even shot 40%. And, then UM goes out & hits about 8 straight shots & it was basically over. Gut-wrenching defeat. Big-time bounce-back by a relentess squad up in the Twin Cities is in order.  I suspect Walt, Leslee, Tai & Terran will want redemption quickly! TP5 needs to learn that HOW he reacts not only affects himself but also those around him who look to TP5 to carry them to a W. Tonight it lead them to a set of panicked shots & poor D. Too bad, this was an opportunity for a quality road win - next time at Minny better be a concerted effort by a bunch of warriors. Onward & upward! GBR

Anyone see dirk's tweet comparing Petteway to Taylor Martinez? Interesting

no, but someone at OWH needs to fire that horse toothed moron.

oh bring that sass...

lol his tweet was garbage.  I don't usually bag on any sports writer, but that was reaching harder than a 3 year old for pixie stix on the top shelf. 

If Terran is Taylor I'm Miles Davis

Petteway seems to press a bit when knowing scouts are present ... add in ESPN audience again and a slow start and he REALLY starts to press and then he sulks. If he TRULY wants to be a leader he needs to work on this. Scout reports have noted this as well.

I think Dirk's comparison to Taylor Martinez is a pretty good one as in they both seem to struggle most with the mental aspects of their respective games. Both maybe seem a bit self-involved and hyper-sensitive rather than team-oriented.

Now saying all this, there is SO MUCH pressure on Petteway to carry the load and that has to be quite the burden to bear ... Especially with a quick turnaround after an emotional win and a lot of minutes of playing time adding up.

I feel frustrated because I see Petteway's issues and pretty solvable and he seems to compound them by reducing effort on Defense or becoming frustrated and making a bad foul - a reach, a huge swipe, a cheap foul. His composure has to improve because as he goes, we go.

I do not think TP had his best game, but I do not think it was horrible.  Michigan's defense was set up to stop TP.  He then set out to set up his teammates and his teammates were not knocking down shots.  Does that get frustrating as a player...especially one as passionate as TP...I would guess yes. 

He did not hit some shots that he may otherwise hit...but Mythigan did a tremendous job forcing him out of his comfort level. 

I will venture that this is the last comparison ever to be suggested between Petteway and Martinez by anyone anywhere. It is quite difficult to imagine anyone linking the two in any way other than the fact they once played at Nebraska in different sports. One had injury issues and no pro career, one has been healthy and will go to the next level. If this makes the two analogous to some lame Omaha sportswriter, I'm sure he will be comparing Pitchford to Richie Incognito next.

Sometimes his shots don't go in and he's disappointed in himself.  What an asshole!

Miles has said repeatedly that TP is the hardest worker on the team, but that's really easy to forget when he's missing shots.

Also, why wouldn't he be self-involved?  We rely on him to create his own shot, and he has a chance to make millions off of his ability.  Go ahead and be self-involved, TP.  The entire NCAA system is self-involved. 

As for the team, if everyone else had the self-expectations and personal work ethic of TP, we'd be a better team.  Seriously, this is the last person we should be ragging on in a thread, particularly since we're just days removed from when his "self-involved" 32 got us a quality win. 

It is difficult to me to understand why we weren't having different approaches to the various zone defenses we were facing.  We basically were passing it around the outside unill someone threw  it up or dribbled into pressure. Back screens we never saw them, etc..  Also, many times when a team needs to change things up because of similar challenges the huskers faced last night,  why didn't we go full court press.  Seems like Benny, Tarin, TP, Tai, and SS could have done some damage.   Other teams have been doing it to us when they started to see a need for change. 

It is difficult to me to understand why we weren't having different approaches to the various zone defenses we were facing.  We basically were passing it around the outside unill someone threw  it up or dribbled into pressure.  

You're absolutely right .I know we don't like to run set pieces.  At this point we should do nothing but vs various zone defenses when they come up. 

I get so sick and tired of fans ragging on TP.  The guy is a freaking stud!!  Look how many times he is asked to bale us out with tough shots too.  And still before last night he was shooting 51% on 2's and 36% on 3's!  He may take some bonehead shots, but at the same time he makes a ton of those tough shots.  For years and years and years NU fans have bitched and moaned about not having that "go to" guy and now we do and some fans aren't happy. 

I wanted to wait to post for awhile as I knew in typical message board form that some fans (that never post here) would come on this board and rip the team to pieces after last night.  Typical.  We have such a "football" fan base that has no idea how to cheer for NU basketball at times and it can drive me nuts.  We are an "NCAA team" after 1 win, and a "CBI" team after 1 loss.  This isn't football where you play 10-11 games.  You play 30 games a year and are going to lose some games you shouldn't, win some that people don't think you should either.  The key is to hopefully not dwell on it as a team and try and bounce back.  The thing a lot of people forget come NCAA tourney time is that its a long season.  Other teams are going to lose games and move on and off the bubble.  NOBODY knows for sure what the magic # is to get to the NCAA tourney because teams are winning/losing on a nightly basis in bball. 

Let's move on to Minnesota, hopefully get a win and get back on track.