Need a big ready to play in 2016, any ideas?

reddan

Jacob should be ready.  If you watched him, you will note that he has some offensive skills.  Plus, he goes after Moses and Leslee every day in practice.  Put 30 lbs on him over the summer and he should be ready to step up.

While I agree that he could be ready to contribute, it is probably only limited minutes next year. He needs to build strength and bulk to play significant minutes. While he will put on good muscle mass over the summer 30 lbs sounds like too much to expect without PEDs. 15 lbs is probably more reasonable. Considering that he started the season at 230 he should be able to achieve something above 240 for next season.

Jacob hasn't looked like a real contributor in the making yet, but I still have high hopes for him. Typically bigs just take longer to develop.

...but a point of interest, Brandon Ubel packed on 20lbs of muscle between his freshman and sophomore years; and arguably, we have a better nutrionist and strength coach today...

13 Ubel, Brandon F 6-10 220

1 Fr.

13 Ubel, Brandon F 6-10 240 3 So.

If those numbers are even legit. Schools have a habit of inflating those types of things.

I actually liked what I saw out of Hammond in the Iowa game. I know he picked up a few fouls in his limited action, but I thought his defensive positioning was pretty solid and the calls were questionable. If you add 20lbs to his frame, he'll likely get away with more because he'll be able to hold his ground down there.

I also think Jacobson will be able to contribute fairly early. He's already a pretty big dude.

Morrow isn't necessarily a big, but he could join the team tomorrow and be our best rebounder.

Pair those 3 with Walt and possibly Fuller and I think we're looking alright.

Our offense should naturally be much improved with the additions of White, McVeigh, and Watson so we really just need solid defense and rebounding from our front court and we'll be fine.

30-40lbs isn't unreasonable look at Maric from his first season to his second and third he transformed his body and packed on a easy 30lbs

No, he was always big. He was listed at 265 his FR and SO years 270 his JR and 275 his SR. He may have reshaped some things, but he actually stayed about the same size his whole time here.

I'm fully on board with Hammond.  I think he'll end up setting the trend for quality bigs down the road.  I've been impressed with what I've seen--good shot blocker, good footwork, good speed, good athleticism, high motor.  10-15lbs will do wonders.  I think if he played big minutes this year he would've been a 6pts, 5rbs, 1 block type of player, but he would've given up some muscle points every night.  

I really think everyone will stay-- and if a quality grad transfer C is available.. Shavon will walk on (a la Doug McDermott) to free up room. The last thing I want is to chase Tai or Fuller when we are going to be losing a ton of seniors and a ton of scoring after next year. 

Just wondering why Shavon would opt out of his schollie and walk on?

I really think everyone will stay-- and if a quality grad transfer C is available.. Shavon will walk on (a la Doug McDermott) to free up room. The last thing I want is to chase Tai or Fuller when we are going to be losing a ton of seniors and a ton of scoring after next year. 

Yeah it seems unlikely that he'd do that, but if it was for the best of the team and he wanted to do it, I'm sure his NFL Hall of fame pops could probably foot the tuition for one year without making much of a dent in the ol' nest egg.

Yeah it seems unlikely that he'd do that, but if it was for the best of the team and he wanted to do it, I'm sure his NFL Hall of fame pops could probably foot the tuition for one year without making much of a dent in the ol' nest egg.

Will seems like a generous and principled person. Paying his son's tuition would be generous but paying his son's tuition when he has earned a scholarship seems against his principles. The above scenario was to also keep a teammate on the team...not add another guy. It's a fun thought but zero actual chance this happens from Shields or any other player.

Will seems like a generous and principled person. Paying his son's tuition would be generous but paying his son's tuition when he has earned a scholarship seems against his principles. The above scenario was to also keep a teammate on the team...not add another guy. It's a fun thought but zero actual chance this happens from Shields or any other player.

Oh, I agree 100%.  I'm just saying, if the Shields' didn't/wouldn't do it, it wouldn't be from the standpoint of need.

zero chance huh? It seems your 'sources' are different than mine. 

My source is my thought process. 

He has the grades to apply for academic scholarships. I assume there are rules for walk-ons with academic scholarships to prevent/minimize people from doing this. Does anyone know if these exist and what they are?

If this does happen, by all means bump this thread because I won't believe it until I see it.

He has the grades to apply for academic scholarships. I assume there are rules for walk-ons with academic scholarships to prevent/minimize people from doing this. Does anyone know if these exist and what they are?

If this does happen, by all means bump this thread because I won't believe it until I see it.

I think you are right. Otherwise you could be getting all kinds of guys on academic scholarships to play sports. It would too easy to bend those rules.

Which comes back to my point, and that is the Shields family could easily swing the tuition bill, so I don't see why (if indeed this is something that is what Shavon wants to do) scholarship money or any other kind of aid would be a question.

Like a years tuition, room and board and other expenses for Shavon would probably amount to a rounding error on the interest gained on Will's checking account kind of non-question.

I think you are right. Otherwise you could be getting all kinds of guys on academic scholarships to play sports. It would too easy to bend those rules.

Academic scholarship (Regents) covers tuition only. You can get other academic scholarships to cover books (Honors program), but that requires you follow a program. I don't know of any that cover board and food...