BIG Props to #0

PeltzFan12

If you haven't read Chatelain's column on Tai in the OWH today, you need to. Pretty impressive attitude shown by Tai.http://www.omaha.com/huskers/chatelain-great-expectations-gone-webster-goes-from-worst-of-times/article_3ef6af10-820b-5545-80de-c39fa14a4ce9.html

Here's a little bit:

Suddenly, he didn’t have to yield to Terran Petteway and Shavon Shields. Suddenly he could play stress-free.

Not sure if this line by Dirk is necessary, nor am I sure it is even true.

Dirk has to have his dig at UNL even when he is writing an up beat piece.

I guess I'm too stupid to see what you guys think Dirk is implying with that statement. My take on it is this. At the beginning of the year when Tai was pulled from the starting lineup, Miles' explanation was that he hoped it would give Tai some confidence on the offensive end by allowing him more opportunity. Miles was quoted saying something like Tai was the 4th option on offense with the starting rotation but if he came off the bench he could be maybe the 1st or 2nd option depending on who was in. The hope was that this would get him going. I thought it was kind of the same scenario here. Being on the scout team he could just play, let things fly, and get some confidence going in his game.

Not stupid, very few, in any of us who post here regularly are stupid. Dirk rarely writes an article that doesn't involve some sort of dig, and this was just par for the course. Dirk is, in essence, is blaming TP and SS for his, Tai's, struggles up until the last few games. TP and SS have absolutely nothing to do with why TW had been struggling. Miles said he had tried everything with Tai, meaning that what was holding Tai back was himself, and Tai admitted to as much. Tai was having trouble getting out of his own way. He had to stop thinking so much and just play. Spending time on the scout team, where there is no pressure, allowed him to get back to that place mentally where he could just play and stop thinking so much. He has all the tools which is why it was frustrating for fans to watch him play. I believe he is past that now and that absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with TP and SS.

One implication that can be easily drawn by that statement from Dirk is that TP and SS are ball hogs.

What Dirk should have said, and would have more accurately portrayed what had been going on with Tai, is that Tai needed to get back to that place mentally where he was just playing basketball.

Exactly

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/mad-chatter-nebrasketball-s-path-to-the-big-dance-tai/article_80d99002-a578-11e4-8a44-ab3aa76e3b44.html

there is a blurb, about him being homesick, but that notion goes away when he gets home and realizes what all of his friends are doing, and the opportunities he has here, that line, and his recent play should put to rest the notion of him leaving anytime soon. 

I've heard tell that Tai likes it here.  Except getting benched.  He didn't like that.

But Miles threw down the gauntlet and Tai didn't shrink away but instead picked up the gauntlet and threw it back.

The fact Tai rose to the occasion instead of collapsing in a puddle of self-pity gives me some optimism about the kid.

Keep rising to the occasion, Tai.  Keep rising to the occasion.

Tai seems to enjoy college life, from the bits of info I could gather. He's still learning the college game which is very different from the international game. I think it's phenomenal that Webster has fallen low & picked himself up. No one could do it for him, Tai is responsible for getting back in the rotation, which is similar in scope to the rebounding saga with David River from last season. This year Coach asked Tai & David for all to see on The Journey, 'what are you doing to help us win?' As Miles was making the point: Minutes are earned, not given. Both dudes showed what they could do in the trenches of the practice grind, and received more minutes to prove their mettle. Glad these type of resilient players are the backbone of Nebrasketball.

I did not see DC's article as any kind of indictment of TP or SS...Rather I saw it as a realization by Tia that those 2 are better options on offense...and we all know, they certainly are.

Tia slowly lost confidence when his shots and moves were not working...so, he figures, why not capitulate to the better players? Well, in the long run...this attitude does not benefit the team...if you are a reasonable option on offense you need them to guard you not sag. 

When demoted, Tia wisely asked to play with the scout team where he was the best (or one of) option for scoring...suddenly he did not have to concern himself with whether the ball should move along the perimeter.  Now...he was supposed to be a scorer rather than a guy who knew there were better options than he was. He was to duplicate the other teams leading scorer!

As a result, on scout team he got into a rhythm...hitting shots...regaining his confidence.

While DC may be an occassional sceptic of NU's ability to succeed...in this instance (and some others) he deserves a pass...I think he actually grew up an NU fan...forced to praise the jay...so give him some leeway.

I did not see DC's article as any kind of indictment of TP or SS...Rather I saw it as a realization by Tia that those 2 are better options on offense...and we all know, they certainly are.

Tia slowly lost confidence when his shots and moves were not working...so, he figures, why not capitulate to the better players? Well, in the long run...this attitude does not benefit the team...if you are a reasonable option on offense you need them to guard you not sag. 

When demoted, Tia wisely asked to play with the scout team where he was the best (or one of) option for scoring...suddenly he did not have to concern himself with whether the ball should move along the perimeter.  Now...he was supposed to be a scorer rather than a guy who knew there were better options than he was. He was to duplicate the other teams leading scorer!

As a result, on scout team he got into a rhythm...hitting shots...regaining his confidence.

While DC may be an occassional sceptic of NU's ability to succeed...in this instance (and some others) he deserves a pass...I think he actually grew up an NU fan...forced to praise the jay...so give him some leeway.

I just gotta know, why do you do that?

You just gotta read between the lines, sometimes.

'Cuz it's tricky, tricky, tricky...

Well the real answer is because it was 1 AM!

Perhaps I entered Wayne's World and I was subconsciously thinking of Tia Carrere.

It was unintentional. My bad!

Okay, fair enough.

I'm sure it's not common knowledge, but in Spain, in addition to "tia" being literally the word for "aunt", it can also be used as slang to address a young woman...and I was really hoping you weren't trying to purposely insult Tai on the sly.  Thanks for clarifying, trickey.   :D

Spanish!?!?    I am having a hard enough time learning English slang!

Thank god for Urban Dictionary.