Shatel's Column

TheGov21

http://www.omaha.com...tune-his-attack

Just read Shatel's column and he had a few nuggets in there that pertained to Husker Hoops.

Nebraska-Creighton wasn't a great game, but the atmosphere was electric. Let's do it twice next season, including the Huskers' opening game in the new Pinnacle Bank Arena.

Why does the media want a second game so bad. No other schools do it. Does Xavier and Cincinnati play twice? How about Marquette and Wisconsin? Iowa and Iowa State? Witchita State and Kansas?

That's a long shot. NU Associate Athletic Director Marc Boehm told me on Monday that Nebraska is talking to schools “nation wide” about being the opening act for the new arena next fall.

It will be interesting to see who Nebraska gets to for the opener. I'm hoping it is actually somebody big. An Old Big 8 team would be nice.

A follow up question. Does anybody know if the Huskers first game will be the first event in the new areana? Or will a concert or something else take place first?

The first event at the arena will be a "major pop" concert on September 13th that is already determined but yet to be released to the public. This will be quickly followed by a country act on September 19th.

Marc Boehm has also already stated that a former Big 12 (8) team will not be opening the arena for the men's basketball team as only Iowa State and Kansas State showed initial interest but both decided against it.

Nebraska wants to have an opponent in place by the end of March, one from at least a mid-major conference.

“It’s a challenge for other teams, because they preferably don’t want to open up a new arena," Boehm said, "but with that said, we’re making a little bit of progress in that area.”

Here is a link to a great feature piece on the development of the new arena from the LJS. The opening act information is found in Section 7.

Why does the media want a second game so bad. No other schools do it. Does Xavier and Cincinnati play twice? How about Marquette and Wisconsin? Iowa and Iowa State? Witchita State and Kansas?

Built in story line.

You can always sell Nebraska-Creighton.

It's much tougher to sell Nebraska or Creighton vs team that the casual fan has no idea about.

Let me know when Creighton joins the BiG or we join the MVC and I'm all about 2 games.

Until then get me Iowa St, Kansas St, or Kansas if you want some more regional basketball.

A follow up question. Does anybody know if the Huskers first game will be the first event in the new areana? Or will a concert or something else take place first?

The first exhibition game will be played before the first basketball game. Not sure about first overall item.

Dimes, they could go with two scrimmages and no exhibition games, couldnt' they? If they wanted that first game to be a good one, they could forego any exhibitions and play two closed scrimmages instead, I believe. Not sure what they'll do, though. I think it'll be tough to bring in a marquee team and I'm wondering if we wouldn't rather open with more of a sure win anyway.

Dimes, they could go with two scrimmages and no exhibition games, couldnt' they? If they wanted that first game to be a good one, they could forego any exhibitions and play two closed scrimmages instead, I believe. Not sure what they'll do, though. I think it'll be tough to bring in a marquee team and I'm wondering if we wouldn't rather open with more of a sure win anyway.

That's a good point, hadn't thought of that. Not sure what local NAIA college was on the slate for next year, but you just might have ruined their day!

Ha

I had to have my 2500th post on something, so it might as well be responding to you smart guys on the perversion of my name with the advent of this fancy new Board. I only tried for about 6 hours to keep submitting "HB", despite getting the notice that it wouldn't accept a 2 character user name. Until Dimes came up with this stylish alternative, which Norm is now calling me out on. In the words of my kids, all I can say is...."Not my fault".

Not my fault either that I didn't know that hitting "quote" to Dimes' post wouldn't capture Norm's smart guy post. My motto continues: "Change is Bad"

Ha

I had to have my 2500th post on something, so it might as well be responding to you smart guys on the perversion of my name with the advent of this fancy new Board. I only tried for about 6 hours to keep submitting "HB", despite getting the notice that it wouldn't accept a 2 character user name. Until Dimes came up with this stylish alternative, which Norm is now calling me out on. In the words of my kids, all I can say is...."Not my fault".

Not my fault either that I didn't know that hitting "quote" to Dimes' post wouldn't capture Norm's smart guy post. My motto continues: "Change is Bad"

This....just....happened.

nebraska-coach.jpg

Ha

This....just....happened.

nebraska-coach.jpg

I stand corrected, Dimes. THAT kind of change is GOOD!

How about we "travel" to a smaller college like Chadron, and play there for our game.

This would allow people "out" west see us.

Just a thought, not a great thought but a thought none the less.

The women's basketball team did this when they played an exhibition in Grand Island against UNK a few years ago, and I heard that the attendance was better than the average women's exhibition game in Lincoln during that region of years.

I think it would be worth a shot!