Matthew Atewe -> Auburn -> Washington

TheKamdyMan

The worst part about losing Atewe was how long this whole process took. I never thought he was going to be a dominant player for us. Best case scenario he played 15 minutes per game next year. We are probably better off getting someone like Smith for this coming year and then go after a 4 or 5 star big man for 2014.

Not sour grapes but I've never been impressed with a single minute of film that I've watched of him. Not sure why Miles invested so much in his recruitment.

I didn't see him as a must-get or anything, but he had good length and good athleticism at a big position of need. He was far from a perfect prospect, but had some raw tools to work with.

Missing out on Atewe is a little disappointing, but if we can round out the class with Sai and Leslee, then Miles nailed his first real recruiting class.

I can't fault the staff for this, I'm sure they worked very hard on recruiting Matthew.  But allow me to sulk for just a few minutes....

With all that we've done - new arena, new basketball facility, an engaging coach, etc. - and we can't even land a decent (what, 3 star categoy?) center.  Especially when the competition has been the likes of Auburn, Nevada and Charlotte???   Well, you have to wonder if this program is ever going to get on the sunny side of the conference ladder ever again.

Not sour grapes but I've never been impressed with a single minute of film that I've watched of him. Not sure why Miles invested so much in his recruitment.

Potential, nothing more. He was a big, physical kid who moved extremely well up and down the court. If you're going to try to develop a big man, he was a very intriguing prospect to work with. The world isn't chock full of 6-9, 230-lb. kids who run like he does.

Quite honestly, the fact that he represented potential far more than production makes me feel less nauseous about this whole ridiculous affair. 

I believe Miles and his staff are great recruiters, but any good recruiter will tell you that the first thing he does is to determine who the decision maker is in each recruiting battle. In this case, the decision maker was the AAU mentor, and Auburn likely has a better relationship with him than Nebraska does. In the end, I believe the mentor made the decision and took care of the staff that took care of him (Auburn). 

A few sour grapes rationalizations to make us feel better about this loss:

1) Based on the footage I've seen on Youtube, I don't believe he even started for ND Prep.

2) In all the highlights I've watched, I have yet to see the guy take a single jump shot. Can he shoot? Not sure.

3) He was 90% potential, 10% production at best. It would have taken 2-3 years to develop his offensive game.

I'm extremely upset we lost him and would love to have him in Lincoln, but he was very, very far from being a sure thing -- much more of a question mark IMO than the three recruits we signed in the early period.

Everything you say is true, Hooper.  And not sour grapes because it's what we've been saying all along.  He's not skilled, just athletic.  I'll honestly be more disappointed if we don't land Sai because that kid really is skilled.

Atewe?  I only truly wanted him because the staff offered.  And if they wanted him, I wanted them to get him.  I understand they might have cooled off on him before we got to this point anyway.

A few sour grapes rationalizations to make us feel better about this loss:

1) Based on the footage I've seen on Youtube, I don't believe he even started for ND Prep.

2) In all the highlights I've watched, I have yet to see the guy take a single jump shot. Can he shoot? Not sure.

3) He was 90% potential, 10% production at best. It would have taken 2-3 years to develop his offensive game.

I'm extremely upset we lost him and would love to have him in Lincoln, but he was very, very far from being a sure thing -- much more of a question mark IMO than the three recruits we signed in the early period.

That's hardly a source of comfort for me.  So what that means, basically, is we can't even pull in a marginal player.

There were many of saying this about his film very early on.  So I am definitely not losing sleep over this one.  Besides, for a guy with mediocre ability, there sure seemed to be a lot of drama surrounding his recruitment.

There were many of saying this about his film very early on.  So I am definitely not losing sleep over this one.  Besides, for a guy with mediocre ability, there sure seemed to be a lot of drama surrounding his recruitment.

Bigs are frequently overvalued, especially in the late period, because there just aren't a ton of athletic ones out there and everyone wants them. Atewe certainly fits that description. 

The mentor played a huge part in this. He is clearly getting paid. There are a ton of clues just from reading Vidal Massiah's twitter account. 

There is an instance on march 27th where Atewe says he wished he had a new iphone, and Vidal responds with "Call Me"

Hopefully Atewe got more than a free iphone for going to his mentor's choice.