Matthew Atewe -> Auburn -> Washington

TheKamdyMan

One problem you get up against is the limited number of official visits you have to offer is small, so you have to be sure you are in the running if you set up the official visit, else you are going to run out of visits for kids that might actually be swayed by a on campus visit. Especially kids that live too far enough away to visit unofficially.

In the other matter discussed previously, I believe the correct expression is "go burly early"...

One problem you get up against is the limited number of official visits you have to offer is small, so you have to be sure you are in the running if you set up the official visit, else you are going to run out of visits for kids that might actually be swayed by a on campus visit. Especially kids that live too far enough away to visit unofficially.

In the other matter discussed previously, I believe the correct expression is "go burly early"...

we have 9 official visits left to use for 2 spots for this season. Fuller, Vitto Brown, and Hawkins were the 3 used so far of the max allowed of 12. I assume Webster uses one for his visit of course. Still gives us a ton of guys we can bring in.

Good to know. Thanks Kamdy. That visit total is always something to keep an eye on and works both ways. Players only have so many officials they can take; schools have only so many they can host. At this point, we're in very good shape for this year and can bring in lots of officials. Only problem is there's precious little time left before the early signing period. BUT if we don't get any more players now and someone emerges during their senior season and becomes a hot commodity, we'd still be able to host officials in the spring.

Edited to add: And that's actually an accomplishment for a team that has 4 commits. If we've only used 3 officials for 4 commits (soon to be 4 for 4) that means we're basically batting 1.000 and haven't wasted officials on guys we didn't get.

Good to know. Thanks Kamdy. That visit total is always something to keep an eye on and works both ways. Players only have so many officials they can take; schools have only so many they can host. At this point, we're in very good shape for this year and can bring in lots of officials. Only problem is there's precious little time left before the early signing period. BUT if we don't get any more players now and someone emerges during their senior season and becomes a hot commodity, we'd still be able to host officials in the spring.

Edited to add: And that's actually an accomplishment for a team that has 4 commits. If we've only used 3 officials for 4 commits (soon to be 4 for 4) that means we're basically batting 1.000 and haven't wasted officials on guys we didn't get.

you messed up your edit. ;) we are 2 for 3 with Vitto going to U-Wis and will be 3 for 4 with Tai coming in November.

• 1 month later...

If it were me, I think we need immediate help down low for next year and I would go out and try to land the biggest bestest juco big man out there, hopefully an athletic and active guy with the ability to score but definitely rebound and defend. And then, I hate to say it, but I'd probably cut the 7 foot Serbian loose. He didn't redshirt and he's not playing. He needs a redshirt and he's taking up a roster spot in the meantime. I would use 3 scholarships for 2014 and, hopefully, one of those could be another top notch big man.

But if we sign another 2013 recruit, then we only have two natural spots (available without premature attrition) for 2014 and I think we need more fresh talent than that. I think we need 3 spots. And if Sergej (I only say this on the private recruiting board) isn't worth spending a redshirt year on, then cut your losses and offer his spot for 2014.

If it were me, I think we need immediate help down low for next year and I would go out and try to land the biggest bestest juco big man out there, hopefully an athletic and active guy with the ability to score but definitely rebound and defend. And then, I hate to say it, but I'd probably cut the 7 foot Serbian loose. He didn't redshirt and he's not playing. He needs a redshirt and he's taking up a roster spot in the meantime. I would use 3 scholarships for 2014 and, hopefully, one of those could be another top notch big man.

But if we sign another 2013 recruit, then we only have two natural spots (available without premature attrition) for 2014 and I think we need more fresh talent than that. I think we need 3 spots. And if Sergej (I only say this on the private recruiting board) isn't worth spending a redshirt year on, then cut your losses and offer his spot for 2014.

Given up on Sergej awfully early!! Might be necessary... but he IS a Miles guy, so they saw something they liked with him. There are a LOT of freshman on a lot of teams that come in and don't redshirt but don't play a lot either and they still develop into contributors. Of course, most of those teams aren't in our situation where they're only playing 7 scholarship players...

I think a lot of us are getting caught up in immediate success and forget that Miles is a program builder. It typically takes 3-4 years for a coach to completely instill his system and his type of players. Sure, a JuCo big man provides more IMMEDIATE help next year... but is it better for the program long-term??

The other side of the coin is that winning helps recruiting, so the sooner we start to win (seemingly) the sooner we will be able to target bigger recruits. It's a real balance, and it's why the University is paying Miles so much to do that thinking for us.

Well, I'm not the coach, obviously, so it isn't my call to make. And I'm not giving up on Sergej so much as I am trying to figure out what Coach Miles is thinking, and that's whose opinion Sergej needs to worry about, not mine. But I can look at the available information and try to discern if the handwriting isn't already on the wall. So, let me pass along what information I see that would suggest to me that Vucetic's spot isn't safe.

1. He's burned his redshirt. He's seen the floor, so he's no longer able to redshirt this year. Which means that's not a reason to not play him.

2. He's not playing.

3. Even when Coach Miles was trying to experiment with "extending the bench" by sending in Menke, Vucetic didn't play.

4. This team is desparate for bodies and, even when Shavon Shields was out with his elbow injury and we were basically playing 7 guys, Vucetic didn't play.

5. We're currently rotating only 3 players across the front line: the two starters and a 6'7" sophomore who doesn't yet weigh 200 pounds. The 7 footer who weighs roughly 240# isn't getting into games.

6. When allocating minutes in a game, it's not done by position. It's done by who you think will help the team. If a 6 foot guard gives you a better chance to win than the 7 foot center, then you play the 6 foot guard and adjust the lineup accordingly. When a sub-6 foot walk-on from Beatrice gets minutes and a 7 foot scholarship kid does not, that's not a good sign.

7. And it's not like they're still trying to preserve his redshirt. I covered that already, right?

Absent a suspension or displinary issue, there's only 2 reasons not to play the guy. Either you're trying to preserve his redshirt or he's not capable of contributing at this point. We already know one of those options doesn't apply. There's only one other possibility. And, in spite of the fact that we're in desparate need of size/depth along the front line, he's not playing.

I guess watch as the season goes on. Maybe he'll start getting into games. Maybe he'll start getting minutes. If he doesn't, then I would suggest that the coach may have already made some decisions.

The same logic you would use to get rid of Vucitec would be the same logic of telling Ray to not come back after his redshirt because he didn't show enough on the court previously.

I don't think that's the same logic at all. I think a better illustration would be telling Alex Chapman, sorry, but you just ain't got it, bra.

Not sure I get what you're saying. Are you saying you think Vucetic is going to blow up like Ray did? You've seen something from Vucetic that makes you think that could happen?

I don't think that's the same logic at all. I think a better illustration would be telling Alex Chapman, sorry, but you just ain't got it, bra.

Not sure I get what you're saying. Are you saying you think Vucetic is going to blow up like Ray did? You've seen something from Vucetic that makes you think that could happen?

speaking of Chapman, I havent felt as bad for a player in a long time as I have for him. I was at the 09 Oregon State game and all his family was there since he is from Oregon. After the game he came out and started crying profusely into his moms arms and heard him say he was done and that Doc told him he wouldnt see the floor. I could tell with all his family there to have him say that had to have been tough. Needless to say he was gone a week or two later.

I agree Kamdy. You knew that had to be tough and I think everyone figured that, with his injury apparently being healed, that he'd see the floor the first time in front of the home crowd. I remember everyone being fairly surprised when he didn't get into the game and, at that point, I think everyone figured the handwriting was on the wall. I mean, sometimes you don't have to be in the team meetings or be a fly on the wall in the locker room. Sometimes, you see enough to be able to offer a pretty educated guess that a certain player isn't long for the program.

I did not know that about him crying to his mother (although that doesn't surprise me.) The actual departure was handled very diplomatically.