Tarin Smith, 18 games into freshman season

Norm Peterson

Please allow me to share a funny but true story.  So back in the day, when Huskers and Jays played in the summer league at Omaha South High School, I used to attend.  I was at the game that featured Steve Harley and Cookie Miller vs. Cavel Witter, P'Allen, and Booker Woodfox and saw Shang Ping level Joe Dabbert.  Maric played too.

During that game, Sek Henry wasn't playing.  He was sitting in the front row with his good pal's Ricky Thenarse and Anthony West. Across the gym, is this punk named Chad Millard who's yapping it up with Sek and Ricky.  At one point, I thought Ricky was going to go over there and pummel Millard. After a challenge was issued to meet after the game, Millard grew quiet, and clung to the Jay's players after the game. He basically hid next to Joe Dabbert and scampered out of there.  Sek was quite vocal for his hatred of all things Blue, and promised me he'd do everything in his power to kick their A**  Well, I think NU won by 2, but Sek didn't score. Still, was a big time Sek fan after that Summer league game.

Please allow me to share a funny but true story.  So back in the day, when Huskers and Jays played in the summer league at Omaha South High School, I used to attend.  I was at the game that featured Steve Harley and Cookie Miller vs. Cavel Witter, P'Allen, and Booker Woodfox and saw Shang Ping level Joe Dabbert.  Maric played too.

During that game, Sek Henry wasn't playing.  He was sitting in the front row with his good pal's Ricky Thenarse and Anthony West. Across the gym, is this punk named Chad Millard who's yapping it up with Sek and Ricky.  At one point, I thought Ricky was going to go over there and pummel Millard. After a challenge was issued to meet after the game, Millard grew quiet, and clung to the Jay's players after the game. He basically hid next to Joe Dabbert and scampered out of there.  Sek was quite vocal for his hatred of all things Blue, and promised me he'd do everything in his power to kick their A**  Well, I think NU won by 2, but Sek didn't score. Still, was a big time Sek fan after that Summer league game.

I was at that game.

Joe Dabbert is a douche.

Shang Ping had no dog in the Creighton vs. NU fight.  Not at that point.  He had no notion of the history or the rivalry.  He was just a juco transfer there to play a basketball game during summer league.  And Joe Dabbert is acting like he's reliving the past and hearing the roar of the Qwest Center crowd in his head as Dana Altman jumps up and down on the sidelines in his mind's eye.  And he starts trying to mix it up with Shang Ping as though the rivalry depends on it.  Meanwhile, I can just see the look in Shang Ping's eye and it was, like, dude, what is wrong with you?

Joe Dabbert is a douche.

Do you remember when Booker Woodfox started to get hot in that game and hit a few treys in transition and some unkempt-looking Creighton fan wearing a tattered Creighton jersey and about 5 months overdue for a haircut and a shower stands up and yells to no one in particular ... "YOU HAVE NO ANSWER!!!"

I just wanted to say, "Um, sir, the actual game doesn't start for another few months, so ..."

Edited to add:  By the way, that was Chad Millard's best game as a Bluejay.

So, I'm getting the feeling that perhaps Joe Dabbert is a douche?

And yes, I still like the Shields kid just as much as ever.  But I also like the Smith kid too!

Yes, Tarin should probably start and soon, and tomorrow is a good day to do it.  Against a good, yet beatable Spartan team at home.  I wouldn't put him in that role for the first time on the road.

I was at that game.

I also attended the summer league games at Omaha South High School--and started following Husker Hoops Central around that time too.  Don't remember the events mentioned above--but always thought Cookie Miller to be the best and most exciting player involved in that summer league . . . by far.

I was at that game.

I also attended the summer league games at Omaha South High School--and started following Husker Hoops Central around that time too.  Don't remember the events mentioned above--but always thought Cookie Miller to be the best and most exciting player involved in that summer league . . . by far.

Swan, I believe I met you at one of those games.  I met a guy there, anyway, who sounded like what you've described of yourself.  And he had a camera ... but hadn't read the "Photography for Dummies" book.  :o

I would like to hear more of these stories. Once the douche word was dropped on a couple players I knew it had to be good. Maybe start an entire thread to these type of stories.

Trust me on this one.  Dabbert was being an instigator and acting like this game, in the grand scheme of the Creighton vs. Nebraska rivalry, mattered.

I was there because I wanted to get a glimpse of our new players.  And plenty of our new guys were there, playing on the same team.  They could do that because, under the rules, you could basically have as many recruits on a single team as you wanted, but no more than 2 current players on the same team.

So, this particular game drew a lot of fans -- and by that I mean several hundred -- because it pitted Creighton's recruits against Nebraska's.  And since Joe Dabbert was no longer a current player, he was able to join the Creighton recruits team.  And join it, he did.

Except Shang Ping didn't have any clue about this rivalry.  He shows up expecting a glorified pick-up game with guys just playing in a ho-hum summer hoops league and here's Dabbert playing for glory and pride and #Letitfly and #shooterU and #beatthehuskers and all that Creighton penis envy crap.

And Dabbert's out there throwing elbows and being a dick and making it personal, and Ping, you can see from his face, is all, like, WTF?  And, eventually, it got bad enough that the two had to be separated.

Joe Dabbert is a douche.  Period.  I speak from first-hand knowledge.

I was at that game.

Swan, I believe I met you at one of those games.  I met a guy there, anyway, who sounded like what you've described of yourself.  And he had a camera ... but hadn't read the "Photography for Dummies" book.  :o

That was Cliff Clavin, Norm.

What I remember is being a little naive on the avid Creighton fan's attitude toward Huskerland.  That naivete evaporated at Omaha South High School.  At one game, for example, a friend sat on the bleachers across the court, so decided to go sit by him and visit awhile.  While approaching him and standing on a bleacher seat two rows down from him, a Creighton player apparently scored; whereupon, and he jumped up and down with fists pumping for about ten or fifteen seconds, bellowing at the top of his lungs with red face (was afraid he might have a heart attack) like they'd just won the National Championship . . . ; whereupon, I promptly pivoted, returned to the prior seat and sat down . . . now fully aware of (and exceedingly surprised at) the depth of emotion involved.