Recruiting Forum Guidelines for new threads

hhcmatt

Starting a new thread

When you start a new thread include

• Name of the player
  • Year (of the recruiting class)

Optionally include

• Any other seemingly relevant attributes (heights, stars, location)

This will help to minimize the number of threads about a player and when people/new people come to read about prospects, they'll be able to find information quicker.

Should My thread be here or the main HHC Men's section?

If a player hasn't made a Verbal Commit or signed a LOI with the Huskers, all talk should be here.

Dimes, you're talking about putting that info in the thread title, right? So that people can find the thread on whichever recruit just by scanning the headlines, correct?

Correct. If you look down the threads you see titles like "New Recruit" or "Huskers looking at a prospect"

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Just a suggestion on formatting new recruiting thread titles.

If the player is ranked in Rivals or has 4 or more stars, put that in the thread title so that people can see a little more information about the player before they click the thread. Alternatively, if they aren't HS recruits, put that info in there, too.  So, for instance:

1977 5-Star PF Norm Peterson   ... or

1977 Juco PG Jack Beanstalk  ... or

1977 Transfer C Paul Bunyan

In parentheses, you can post/update their status, such as (offered) or (verbal commit) etc.

This way, there's some sort of uniformity in the thread titles so we can quickly find certain info about a new offer and be able to look in the same place for each one.

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Just a suggestion on formatting new recruiting thread titles.

If the player is ranked in Rivals or has 4 or more stars, put that in the thread title so that people can see a little more information about the player before they click the thread. Alternatively, if they aren't HS recruits, put that info in there, too.  So, for instance:

1977 5-Star PF Norm Peterson   ... or

1977 Juco PG Jack Beanstalk  ... or

1977 Transfer C Paul Bunyan

In parentheses, you can post/update their status, such as (offered) or (verbal commit) etc.

This way, there's some sort of uniformity in the thread titles so we can quickly find certain info about a new offer and be able to look in the same place for each one.

If we could add Kuminga and Clarke to Peterson, Beanstalk and Bunyan well that would be game over. Make room in the trophy case.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:18 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Just a suggestion on formatting new recruiting thread titles. This way, there's some sort of uniformity in the thread titles so we can quickly find certain info about a new offer and be able to look in the same place for each one.

Adding two pennies...

I, personally, see the most important information being: 1- the player's name (spelled correctly); and 2- where they are from/their school. Everything else is sort of a matter of opinion, can change, or may vary. Some can view a guy as a center, and others may see him as a power forward. The player may be rated a 3-star by one service and a 4-star by another.

So the meat and potatoes is the name and location. That way you can tell the thread is about Jaylin Williams from Arkansas and not Jaylin Williams from Georgia. And if someone wants to look into a player further, they have the most pertinent info in order to find them.

Additionally, the other info (class, position, star-rating, offer-status, etc) is important as well. But I feel like this info can be added via tags. That way, the titles are clean, uniform, and easy to scan through (but the additional info is still present, below the title). Because, at least personally, when looking for a specific thread in recruiting, I'm looking for the name (not the class, position, etc). So having the name as the initial/most prominent bit is helpful. Then if the other things are included as tags, they can: 1- be clicked on to pull up every thread tagged similarly ("PG", "2021", "LOI", etc); and 2- be used over-and-over again, uniformly across all recruiting threads.

An example:

Jaylin Williams (Fort Smith, AR)

[2020] [C] [4-STAR] [OFFER]

Jack Beanstalk (The Clouds, SK)

[1977] [PG] [JUCO] [VERBAL]

Paul Bunyan (Bemidji, MN)

[1977] [C] [TRANSFER] [LOI]

17 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

Whoa whoa whoa... hol'up.

But seriously though, that's a fantastic idea to use tags.  Most people don't know how to use them, and they would be perfect in that application.  I think we'd need to assign someone with mod powers to edit thread titles to keep them all uniform like that.

I had a couple of ideas about tracking recruits.

One would be via tags as noted above. It's possible I could set up pages to display guys based on those tags.

Another thing would be to steal the format that the WhiteAndBlue review uses for tracking their stuff...https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1-HDYVRLl_kpzc_ztQ1quDrGVRIhVkn5pQTHH84m1YgA/pub?output=html

I'd be interested in implementing any or some or none of these idea along with any others.

Shoot me a DM if you're interested in implementing any of this.  You wouldn't be obligated to update all this stuff or anything like that.

OK, @Navin R. Johnson is trying to implement one of the suggestions of @Searching 4 Chester Surles, which was to list a player's home state in the thread title.

Based on a few new threads, I see a problem with this.  If a guy is FROM Kansas, how do we differentiate that from a guy who has decided to COMMIT to Kansas?  Or Illinois? Or Arkansas?

Can we use postal abbreviations for the states instead? Because Texas the state would be TX, but Texas the school would be UT, for example.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

On 6/21/2019 at 10:12 AM, 49r said:

I think we'd need to assign someone with mod powers to edit thread titles to keep them all uniform like that.

On 6/21/2019 at 10:25 AM, hhcmatt said:

It's possible I could set up pages to display guys based on those tags. Another thing would be to steal the format that the WhiteAndBlue review uses for tracking their stuff...

On 6/24/2019 at 11:53 AM, Norm Peterson said:

OK, @Navin R. Johnson is trying to implement one of the suggestions of @Searching 4 Chester Surles, which was to list a player's home state in the thread title.

On 6/24/2019 at 1:51 PM, hhcmatt said:

TBH I find listing the player's high school/location in the title to be pretty unnecessary. I also find it confusing as we list where the recruit has gone

This is all Norm's fault.

My aim wasn't to create a bunch of trouble with my suggestions. I was just piggybacking Norm's post about thread title information. And I certainly didn't think any of the suggestions would be implemented without question/discussion/critique. In fact, I was hoping it would cause more people to post how they use the forum and what they'd like to see from the recruiting threads.

Obviously I can only speak to my own personal use case, and don't expect everyone to function in the same way. Having said that, I mainly stick to the two Nebrasketball boards, and don't really ever hit the front page or use any of the additional tools available. So I, personally, wouldn't have any use for separate recruiting pages or spreadsheets (a la Jayfan). I'm just here to BS about Nebraska basketball. And being able to quickly find the appropriate thread to drop the relevant BS into, would be my main/only concern.

Specific to the recruiting board, I think it's currently way-above-average in regards to organization. Plenty of other forums (that deal in recruits) are a nightmare. But again, after reading Norm's post, I started looking at the finer details, and thought about how to accomplish his stated goal of "uniformity". Tags seemed like a good way to do that, since they can be used over-and-over again (and won't vary from user-to-user).

The added bonus is that tags can also be used to filter recruit threads, which makes finding certain threads (to BS in) all the more easy. Also, paring down the thread title to feature the recruit's name most prominently helps in that aim as well. As far as the recruit location, personally, I find it helpful in doing searches (external to HHC). And unlike the other bits of recruit information (class, position, star rating, commit status, etc), it can't be boiled down to just a few options and put into a tag.

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Ok. Let just stick to Year -  position - name

I'll figure out a tagging system to keep things consistent.

The best part @hhcmatt is one can put tags into thread titles so the first two parts of the thread title in your example "Year" and "Position" could be tags then just the rest would be the player's name.  I think tags are drastically underutilized on this board and would like to see more of them.

Just my 2 cents.

So I "edited" the recruiting board to provide a better idea as to how this could look (see the image below, click to expand). This is by no means a perfect solution, just an idea I'm throwing out for others to poke holes in. In the second image, you can see the resulting search page if you click on a tag.

Here are some of my thoughts/problems with everything presented in the images below:

• I'd prefer the parenthetical "previous location" info to be as descriptive as possible (high school, city, state) but I'd totally settle for a state abbreviation.
• As seen with Dain Dainja's thread title, the destination school can be included after the previous location.
• When the previous location is a country outside the US, the abbreviations may have to be three letters. "CA" would be confused for California and Canada. So countries might need to be "FRA" and "CAN" instead.
• I listed the high school location and the most recent college for transfers (Banton and Cheatham).
• Should transfers be classified by the year they transferred, or the year they were a HS recruit?
• Which star rating should be used? A single designated metric (247, Rivals, ESPN)? An average? The highest rating available?
• What about positions in Hoiberg's "positionless basketball" system? Go with what the recruiting services list? Or use a more generic breakdown of players (backcourt/frontcourt? post/wing/point?)?
• There are all sorts of "commit" possibilities and combinations. Signed. LOI. N. Commit. Verbal. Etc. How should these be handled similarly/differently for HS, JuCo, and transfer players?
• One problem I've found with tag searches, is that you can't really filter by multiple tags. Say, for instance, you wanted to find all the PFs in the 2020 class that we have offers out to. You can't add "2020" "PF" and "OFFER" tags to the search and get the results you desire. That's because it will pull threads that have ANY of those tags, instead of ALL those tags.

HHC01.png

HHC02.png

7 hours ago, 49r said:

Like I mentioned before you can include tags in the thread title (it's what I do for all the KenPom threads) and I think it looks even cleaner.

I didn't see your KenPom tags until after I'd already done the above example, but I seriously thought about re-doing the whole thing after seeing that as a possibility.

So, I just whipped up another batch of titles/tags to see how a few variations would look, and the results are below (pictured, click to expand). I grouped each variation to three thread titles (to better judge the visual impact of each format). Five groups of three. The second grouping is the current thread title format, untouched (for comparison). The fifth grouping is the original tag experiment (shown above). The other three groups are just a few of the possible configurations.

Comments? Critiques? Suggestions? Preferences?

HHC00.png

Edited by Searching 4 Chester Surles

22 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

One problem I've found with tag searches, is that you can't really filter by multiple tags. Say, for instance, you wanted to find all the PFs in the 2020 class that we have offers out to. You can't add "2020" "PF" and "OFFER" tags to the search and get the results you desire. That's because it will pull threads that have ANY of those tags, instead of ALL those tags.

You can under advanced search

On 6/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, hhcmatt said:

Ok. Let just stick to Year -  position - name

I'll figure out a tagging system to keep things consistent.

Would there be away to have a folder for each year of recruiting? In other words all of the 2019 recruits would be in the 2019 folder and so on. Or would that create too much work for the one organizing it? There's so much good info in the recruiting section, and maybe this would make it easier to organize or to find. Of course, that's just coming from a guy who likes to read all of the info and never has to do any of the work! 😀

18 minutes ago, CanadianHusker said:

Would there be away to have a folder for each year of recruiting? In other words all of the 2019 recruits would be in the 2019 folder and so on. Or would that create too much work for the one organizing it? There's so much good info in the recruiting section, and maybe this would make it easier to organize or to find. Of course, that's just coming from a guy who likes to read all of the info and never has to do any of the work! 😀

Tags essentially function as folders....a way of grouping posts/people into one section