Allie Havers

Row6Seat10

Impressed with Hoopers 36 points against FSU?

Future Husker Allie Havers had 38 last Tuesday to lead her high school team to 65-38 win over rival Portage Northern.

From MLive.com

Allie Havers was a one-woman wrecking crew against Portage Northern. The 6-foot-5 forward scored 38 points, 28 in the first half, to help Mattawan win its first game of the season.

"We had our best defensive player on her, and played good defense against her, it just didn't matter," Portage Northern coach Kyle Paffhausen said. "She doesn't just play in the post. She plays on the outside, can go inside. She's very good."

Havers hit two 3-pointers in the first half to help Mattawan take a 36-19 lead going into halftime. She finished the game 9 for 9 at the free-throw line and also had 14 rebounds and two blocked shots.

Right now she's averaging right at 23 points per game and 13 rebounds.

Mattawan uses team defense, Allie Havers' big night to defeat Kalamazoo Central

The 6-foot-5 Havers had 23 points, 11 rebounds, four blocked shots, four steals and an assist.

‘’That was probably her best performance of the year so far,’’ head coach Wright said. ‘’She played great defense, was a leader and had a calming influence.’’

That was shown late in the first quarter and into the second quarter when Havers spent time in the training room having a cut between two fingers bandaged up. When she was gone, K-Central (1-3, 0-2) rallied to take a 14-12 lead with 5:16 left in the half.

‘’It happened when I was going up for a rebound and got nailed between the fingers,’’ she said. ‘’There was blood all over my jersey.’’

When Havers came back, Mattawan reeled off 14 straight points for a 26-14 lead just 35 seconds into the third quarter.

11995244-standard.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on future Husker Allie Havers

Her Mattawan High girls basketball team is struggling at times to come up with wins. But she's doing her part in helping all she can as they push forward. They're now sitting with a 7-5 record having just beat Stevensville Lakeshore 49-45 in OT last night. Allie pumped in 16 points and grabbed 17 rebounds in the game.

For the season Allie is averaging a little over 18 points per game and 11 rebounds.

She's had 30 block shots, 14 steals, made 6 three pointers and is shooting 84% from the foul line. 

• 1 month later...

Allie Havers' Mattawan girls basketball teammates appreciate the 6-foot-5 senior center's selfless attitude.

"We try to get her the ball as much as we can, but she dishes it out as much as we give it to her," Wildcats junior forward Emma Toner said.

Havers helped give Mattawan a Class A district championship trophy Friday night at Portage Central, where she scored 23 points, grabbed 15 rebounds and added three blocks and two assists in a 49-34 victory over the Mustangs.

After the game, it was time for the Wildcats all-stater to receive. Havers was the recipient of a floral bouquet, courtesy of her older sister, Caralee. "She usually doesn't bring me flowers, but she's always there at my games -- good family support," said Havers, the Nebraska signee.

Mattawan (14-9) advances to Tuesday's 6 p.m. regional semifinal at Holt, where the Wildcats will take on the host Rams (16-7).

Havers%20action.jpg

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/6175115290285228137/mattawans-allie-havers-collects-double-double-class-a-district-title-and-flowers-in-49-34-girls-basketball-win-at-portage-central-link-to-gallery/

Allie Havers leads the way in Mattawan's 46-43 Class A regional semifinal victory over hometown Holt

There was one glaring difference between Mattawan and Holt in Tuesday night's Class A regional semifinal. Mattawan had Allie Havers, and Holt had no answer for the Miss Basketball candidate.

Fueled by Havers' 27-point, 15-rebound and six-block performance, Mattawan

held on to defeat Holt 46-43 to advance to the regional final.

Havers is a "Divison I 6-foot-5 guard," Holt coach Doug Harkama said. "She's a tough guard for any of us.

Allie's season and high school career comes to an end tonight with a 47-37 loss to Grand Ledge, she finished with 13 points 4 rebounds and 4 blocks. Mattawan finishes the season at 15-10. Next stop for Allie, the "PBA".

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/5175102290143227829/grand-ledge-finishes-on-a-30-11-run-beats-mattawan-47-37-for-their-first-regional-title-since-1991-in-girls-basketball-action-thursday-at-holt/

"It's bittersweet, definitely," Havers said. "It's sweet, because we
overcame so much to get here, and so many people told us we couldn't do
it, but it's tough to know that after everything we've been through,
tonight was our last night together on the court.

"This was a great team to be a part of, and I wouldn't trade it for anything."

Mattawan's Allie Havers -- 'great basketball player, better person' -- unanimous AP Class A all-state first-teamer

MATTAWAN, MI – The statistics and accolades keep piling up for Allie Havers. The Mattawan senior stays the same. "I'm going to miss her as a person. She's a really good person – great basketball player, but better person," said Mattawan girls basketball coach Troy Wright, for whom Havers played for four seasons.

"I'm going to miss the practical joking side of her. I'm going to miss Allie Havers the person more than anything else."

Don't be fooled – Wright and the Wildcats program will miss Havers, the player, plenty as well. The 6-foot-5 center was named Associated Press Class A first-team all-state for the second straight season.

This year, she was a unanimous selection on the AP honor squad and was edged by 6-5 Grand Haven senior Abby Cole for the Class A Player of the Year award.

Havers is a rare three-sport, first-team all-stater – she earned the distinction once in volleyball and once so far in softball – and was a finalist for Miss Basketball and Miss Volleyball awards.

This basketball season, the University of Nebraska signee averaged 19.3 points, 11.4 rebounds, 3.3 blocks, 2.3 steals and 1.5 assists for a Mattawan squad that advanced to the regional finals and finished with a 15-10 record.

Havers shot 43.3 percent from the floor and 71.1 percent at the free-throw line. "I'm just going to tell everyone that she's the most talented basketball player I've coached in 23 years and she's going to be missed. Nebraska is going to get a heck of a player," Wright said, when how he'll remember Havers.

"She's not your typical star where she's worried about the attention. She's more worried about her team and teammates than she is herself and I think that's rare in today's world. I think that's why her teammates are so dedicated and loyal to her. They're going to watch her back. ... I loved coaching her,
loved being around her."

Mattawan was 63-32 during Havers' four varsity seasons with a pair of district titles and two more district finals appearances.

Havers finishes her career 1,561 points, 1,015 rebounds, a school-record 348 blocks and 174 steals in 94 games.

Her tonsils were removed in late-December, but Havers missed only one game. "The last three, four weeks of the season, she had her energy back," Wright said about Havers, who posted 27 points, 15 rebounds and six blocks in a regional semifinal win over Holt. " ... She was just kind of a dominant player on the floor. She changed shots, blocked shots and led us in points and rebounds. 

"She lost 10 pounds (when her tonsils were removed) and couldn't play for two weeks. I don't think she was really herself again until the second week of February. She just lot a lot of weight. I think in the long run, it will be better for her – she was sick a lot and hasn't been sick since."

Wright believes the slender Havers will "surprise herself" once she plays basketball year-round at Nebraska and has the benefit of the Cornhuskers' weight training and nutritional programs.

"She's going to take off. They're going to have a diamond in the rough. I think Nebraska knows that," Wright said.

"She's the most athletic, talented player, difference-maker that I've coached. I've coached more than 20 years and had some good players. She's 6-5 and can run. The thing about her is, she's just scratching the surface of her ability."

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-6530436156604943245/mattawans-allie-havers-great-basketball-player-better-person-unanimous-ap-class-a-all-state-first-teamer/