OT: December 8, 1980

cipsucks

This time of year, I normally wouldn't waste your time with an off topic thread. However, since the Huskers don't play for another week, and the Creighton game has been dissected about everyway possible, here you go.

I was a student at UNL when John Lennon was murdered. As in the case of most tragedies, one always remembers where he/she was at. Howard Cosell making the announcement on Monday Night Football was unforgettable. The murder left me numb for weeks.

I grew up a huge Beatles fan. The first 45 I ever bought was Hey Jude. I was 7 years old at the time. (Yep, the little cipster loved rock and roll at an early age. :) ) John was always my favorite Beatle. I loved his sharp sense of humor. I was excited to see him return to the music scene in 1980. I was disappointed that he included Yoko on half the Double Fantasy tracks, but, that was John....

Instead of holding a memorial service, Yoko asked the world to observe a moment of silence for John the Sunday following his death. Z 92 held an event at Rosenblatt Stadium. Several of my friends and I went to it. On a cold December morning, the place was pretty much full. They played Lennon songs and led up to the moment of silence with "A Day In The Life" from Sgt. Pepper's.

In the weeks following the tragedy, FM stations played this Lennon song on a regular basis. He originally wrote the song because people in the early seventies were clamoring for the Beatles to reunite. It turned out to be eerily accurate about the end of his life.

It's hard for me to imagine it's already been 32 years. (And I'm still waiting for that first NCAA tourney win. ;) ) RIP, John.

There's not much politics on this board, but from just the few jokes you've made I'm surprised you are a Lennon fan. He was far on the other side of the spectrum from Nebraska. Talent must have beaten out ideology on this one.

Lennon really wasn't political. He was anti Viet Nam war, as were a lot of people from differing political points of view. If you listen to the lyrics to Revolution, he was telling the far leftists they were loony, and he didn't want any part of their plans. One of the reasons he left Great Britain was because of their high tax rates, and he chose to stay at home to raise his son. Sorta the same values as most Nebraskans.....

Lennon loved America because he loved freedom.

There are numerous and various opinions of the politics of John Lennon. Of course, I was always a Paul fan. Here is an article referencing John's politics. I did get a kick out of this statement:

According to Albert Goldman in The Lives of John Lennon, John lost all interest in political activity in 1972, in part because of his return to heroin use.

http://www.johnlenno...onactivism.html

Now, back to basketball. Did you know that New Zealand imported elk from North America in order to breed them for hunting. The elk got a bit amorous and as a result, we now have New Zealand Wapiti deer.

hunting_wapiti_01.jpg