We rank 298th in offensive rebounding percentage....

bkamler

Even with if we had Smith and Abraham available I think our offensive rebounding would only be slightly improved from 298th.

Why? Because when I have paid attention to what happens when we put up a shot of 15' feet or more, generally speaking, we have five guys taking off like jack rabbits to get back on D. About 8 out of 10 times, this seems to be the case with Rivers and occasionally Pitchford being the exception. Shields used to battle on the offensive boards but not over the last six games or so.

In my world, the player at the top of the key has that responsibility along with anyone who is too far out to legitimately contest the rebound. So, typically you would have at least three guys crashing the offensive boards.

Let's see what happens tonight.

Even with if we had Smith and Abraham available I think our offensive rebounding would only be slightly improved from 298th.

Why? Because when I have paid attention to what happens when we put up a shot of 15' feet or more, generally speaking, we have five guys taking off like jack rabbits to get back on D. About 8 out of 10 times, this seems to be the case with Rivers and occasionally Pitchford being the exception. Shields used to battle on the offensive boards but not over the last six games or so.

In my world, the player at the top of the key has that responsibility along with anyone who is too far out to legitimately contest the rebound. So, typically you would have at least three guys crashing the offensive boards.

Let's see what happens tonight.

My guess is we will see much of the same.  We will NOT want Indiana to run on us tonight.  We will be working our butts off on the defensive end.  Getting back in transition will be key for us tonight, and therefore we will see more of the same.

I would imagine most of it has to do with the type of offense we run.  When was the last time you saw us with a dude set down low on the block on offense?  Our big guys set screens 20 feet from the hoop.  When your big guys are doing that, it's tough for them to get offensive boards.

We have been doing this for two and half years, ain't going to change now. Miles is scared to death about giving up break away or easy quick lay ups. So we get back and get set up. We also don't defend til at least mid court. Also I think Tim worries about getting that stupid foul trying to get the offensive board.

These are just what Imthink from watching what we have been doing since Timm has gotten here. Might change some with tye new guys that we have coming in the next years.