Scouting Indiana

hhcmatt

• If we had a dominate big man, it would cause problems for Indiana. They don't necessarily have a big man though we will need guys to step up and guard a guy in the paint 1-on-1.
  • This is not a good matchup for us.  Indiana is an excellent outside shooting team that doesn't put you on the line.  They have 4 guys shooting over 40% from 3 pt range.
  • Hoosiers play so-so defense. They give up over a Point/Possession.
  • Hoosiers haven't won in Lincoln since we joined the B1G. They're 0-2.
  • This is the first true road game Indiana has played this year. Indiana seems streaky in their scoring so expect some hot and cold spells from them.
  • This is a battle of a top tier offense (Indiana KenPom #10) vs a top tier defense (Nebraska KenPom #17). Only Louisville has held Indiana under a point/poss. 

I think we'll find our offense to be smoother in this game. We will most likely need it to be.

I could see us winning close, losing close, or losing big. I would be absolutely shocked if we won by more than 10 against a team that can score like this.

Miles presser

Paraphrased:

- Lots of parity in the league; lots of "bad" losses for teams

- Leslee and Moses out for at least a couple of weeks

- Benny is fine

- Indiana very good in transition; shooting the ball within 7 seconds; strong ability to shoot the 3

- Indiana mid-sized lineup helped offensively; hurt defensively

- Control tempo by being great defensively

- The team is where Miles wants to be at this point

- Got better in the 3 days in the tournament; now see how the carry-over goes

- Doesn't like 8-4 in his eyes; 10-2 is a minimum for Miles

- True identity: controlling tempo, great half court defense, smart offensive play (sharing the ball and not quick outside quick shots)

- When eliminated quick shots, we've been better

- Last year's setback: new guys playing in a big league; This year's: turnover issues

- Traveled to a lot of places to put us in a position to get road game experience

- Believe that losing to Creighton was a punch in the gut to our team; assumed we had Incarnate Word beat, but 3-1 since then

For those who think we should run more and try to score off of transition, the above bullet points suggest you will be disappointed.  Perhaps he is referring to not shooting quick only when we are in the half court offense.  But it sure sounds like we will be running clock. 

I have no problem with taking time for a good shot in a half court set.  You always have the option to stop the break.  I just think we have a lot of matchups that are tough to deal with in transition and Walt makes one hell of a three point trailer.  TP and Shavon can draw a ton of fouls in the open court, and speed is a strength of Benny and Tai we can utilize.  We should always be trying to run against teams we can out-athlete.  

It feels like TM is referring to contested shots early in the clock from TP when the opposing d is set, but that's just what I'm picturing.  That said, Indiana's small ball might be better battled with slow ball in this one.  

We've slowed it down a bit this year though both years are faster than anything during either Miles' first year or every year from Doc

... did you catch the Loyola Marymount game? :D

But yes, I agree. However, as jimmy mentioned, it's getting closer and closer to the slow ball that we had grown accustomed to. Right, wrong, or indifferent.

I actually think we will play up tempo today which will help. A big key is rebounding. If Indiana shoots early we must rebound. Our half court offense is not good.

They have the 24th fastest tempo and the 30th fastest offense on average. They will shoot early plenty of times.

I'm guessing we will try to slow the game down to get Indiana out of their comfort zone. I don't think it makes sense to get in a track meet with them.

This... we may like to run, but they like to run more.  We try and run to much we will be done and gone both physically and possibly in the game mid way through the second half.

I'm guessing we will try to slow the game down to get Indiana out of their comfort zone. I don't think it makes sense to get in a track meet with them.

This... we may like to run, but they like to run more.  We try and run to much we will be done and gone both physically and possibly in the game mid way through the second half.

i think we will be more equipped to run when we add white, morrow, and watson next year.

i think we will be more equipped to run when we add white, morrow, and watson next year.

Huge difference if we have a 10 player rotation