Is Coach Miles Even Coaching?

extremehoops

After watching this season to date and last season.  Is Coach Miles really coaching and making his players better or is he just a good front man for the basketball program because he speaks well and says what we want to hear but its clearly not a basketball team that plays as a team.

Just watching Coach Miles on the sidelines it seems that Coach Miles looks as confused as the players do on what to do next..

As a coach you need to hold all your player accountable for their play being good or bad and I don't think he does that.  He talks about it but rarely takes any action during a game and just lets it go..

At this point you need to find a rotation of guys that will move the ball and not turn it over and play team basketball.  We dribble a lot and look to go one on one and we pass the ball less than 3 times a possession for sure.

If you take bad shots or turn the ball over and over again, then you need to get less playing time and watch from the bench..  Right now there is certain players that dont see the value of moving the basketball and limiting their turnovers because it happens game after game and the head Coach needs to set the ground work on whats not acceptable to play for this team like it or not. Is just not about getting yours.

When you average double figures in Turnovers and single figures in assist as a team over your last 10 games, something needs to change.

We actually looked better 2 years ago with very little talent but played hard team basketball and moved the ball alot more.

Yes he is coaching.

After watching this season to date and last season.  Is Coach Miles really coaching and making his players better or is he just a good front man for the basketball program because he speaks well and says what we want to hear but its clearly not a basketball team that plays as a team.

Just watching Coach Miles on the sidelines it seems that Coach Miles looks as confused as the players do on what to do next..

As a coach you need to hold all your player accountable for their play being good or bad and I don't think he does that.  He talks about it but rarely takes any action during a game and just lets it go..

At this point you need to find a rotation of guys that will move the ball and not turn it over and play team basketball.  We dribble a lot and look to go one on one and we pass the ball less than 3 times a possession for sure.

If you take bad shots or turn the ball over and over again, then you need to get less playing time and watch from the bench..  Right now there is certain players that dont see the value of moving the basketball and limiting their turnovers because it happens game after game and the head Coach needs to set the ground work on whats not acceptable to play for this team like it or not. Is just not about getting yours.

When you average double figures in Turnovers and single figures in assist as a team over your last 10 games, something needs to change.

We actually looked better 2 years ago with very little talent but played hard team basketball and moved the ball alot more.

it was an offnight..yeesh

Classic.    Just bench guys.  Doesn't matter if you have no bench.  Put Menke in at point if those other guys won't run the offense.  Yep, it's all pretty simple.  Just coach a little.

Classic.    Just bench guys.  Doesn't matter if you have no bench.  Put Menke in at point if those other guys won't run the offense.  Yep, it's all pretty simple.  Just coach a little.

Well we do know that Kye can dunk you know.;)

We had that coach.  Everybody bitched about him benching guys that took bad shots and turned the ball over.  He's now at Southern Miss.  You want us to go hire him back?

Yeah, he only has 20+ years head coaching experience at the college level...most of that at Div. I and has led a massive turnaround practically everywhere he's been.

He clearly has no idea what he's doing.   :rolleyes:

Well, as a point of clarification, I believe he is actually in his 10th season of Division I this year.  Craig Smith was his assistant coach for the majority of those years.  Until this year.

Yeah, he only has 20+ years head coaching experience at the college level...most of that at Div. I and has led a massive turnaround practically everywhere he's been.

He clearly has no idea what he's doing.   :rolleyes:

Well, as a point of clarification, I believe he is actually in his 10th season of Division I this year.  Craig Smith was his assistant coach for the majority of those years.  Until this year.

11th in Div. I --  20th overall.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Miles

I do think it is reasonable to wonder just how valuable a role Craig Smith played in the success Miles has had over the years.  

Agreed. Not that it's detrimental or anything; adjustments would have to be made. But if Smith made huge contributions to the success of each program, then South Dakota truly picked up a quality up-and-coming coach.

My biggest concern with the current staff is pretty basic.  It is the handling of pressure.  We simply meltdown when defensive pressure is applied.  I did not see great improvement between the Bearcat and Rainbow games.  That is troubling, but it certainly is not a call for a coaches head.  It is simply something that needs to be reevaluated...sooner rather than later.

I do think it is reasonable to wonder just how valuable a role Craig Smith played in the success Miles has had over the years.  

One wonders.  But one also wonders how valuable a role the other former Miles assistants have played also:

Craig Smith - Head Coach, USD

Dave Richman - Head Coach, NDSU

Niko Medved - Head Coach, Furman

Saul Phillips - Head Coach, Ohio

That is the Miles coaching tree so far.  Not a bad start for a still relatively young coach.  One also must wonder, was it the assistants that made coach Miles?  Or was it coach Miles that made the assistants what they are now?  Is it any surprise why we were able to get Kenya to come from Georgetown?  Or Coach Mo to step down as a head coach to become an assistant under Miles?

I'm not trying to say that I know the answer to any of the questions I just asked.  I'm just saying it makes sense to spend a little time thinking about these things before we just start to rant and spout off about what a horrible coach Tim Miles is.

It may be reasonable but it's also 100% speculation. Who on this board has been to Miles' practices over the last 10 years to see how much of a difference Smith's absence actually has made? Two things happening at the same time does not show causation. The offense looks a lot like what was going on last year when Smith was here. We might be just as likely making a spurious correlation. 

Every coach looks better when they have talent.  When you take a look at what Miles is currently dealing with I'm not so sure some are inflating the current talent level on the team.  And you can blame Miles for that, in his two recruiting classes he failed to recruit a true center and a floor general.  I thought Petteway with the amount of work he was putting in would come in and tear it up.  Not so.  He is a very good player but despite the numbers he puts up(some good some bad) he's not a program changer IMO.  Shields is another solid player...but teams have figured out if you take away his right hand he can be contained.  After that...it's nothing but question marks.  Pitchford was a guy who I thought was going to improve dramatically...not so.  The other "scorer" we were banking on in Tai Webster currently looks like he doesn't belong in D-1 basketball.  Despite the run we had last season..I don't think the talent level is all that great across the board.  But the good news is, I think help is on the way with the type of players we have come into the program next year. 

Yeah, this thread title received my vote for the knee-jerk, lack-of-sleep-induced, over-reaction to this morning's game. Then I noticed it was posted a good 10 hours after the final buzzer and I got a little worried.  ;)

We'd better get a W late tonight - I shudder to think what the thread titles will look like starting around 1 a.m. after back-to-back nights of minimal sleep.  ;)

On the subject of not having Coach Smith, I'm sure that explains some of what's going on. It's natural after losing a coach as valuable as he was that the entire staff has to undergo a transformation, and the guys are still trying to feel their way into their new roles.

And I don't think this is happening here, but we've certainly seen the effects of coaches struggling after losing a particular assistant. Coach Nee's tenure was never quite the same after Coach Bargen left. Coach Collier looked great at Butler with Thad Motta on his staff, but once they split and Motta got his chance to be the main guy ... well, we all know what has happened since for both coaches.

Again, I'm not saying that's what's happening at NU with Smith/Miles. However after another night with no sleep, if there's another bad loss, God only knows what I might write at 1 a.m.  ;)

After watching this season to date and last season. Is Coach Miles really coaching and making his players better or is he just a good front man for the basketball program because he speaks well and says what we want to hear but its clearly not a basketball team that plays as a team.

As a coach you need to hold all your player accountable for their play being good or bad and I don't think he does that. He talks about it but rarely takes any action during a game and just lets it go..

At this point you need to find a rotation of guys that will move the ball and not turn it over and play team basketball. We dribble a lot and look to go one on one and we pass the ball less than 3 times a possession for sure.

If you take bad shots or turn the ball over and over again, then you need to get less playing time and watch from the bench.. Right now there is certain players that dont see the value of moving the basketball and limiting their turnovers because it happens game after game and the head Coach needs to set the ground work on whats not acceptable to play for this team like it or not. Is just not about getting yours.

We had that coach. Everybody bitched about him benching guys that took bad shots and turned the ball over. He's now at Southern Miss. You want us to go hire him back?

There is some middle ground. There needs to be some consequences if you want behaviors to change.

One wonders.  But one also wonders how valuable a role the other former Miles assistants have played also:

Craig Smith - Head Coach, USD

Dave Richman - Head Coach, NDSU

Niko Medved - Head Coach, Furman

Saul Phillips - Head Coach, Ohio

That is the Miles coaching tree so far.  Not a bad start for a still relatively young coach.  One also must wonder, was it the assistants that made coach Miles?  Or was it coach Miles that made the assistants what they are now?  Is it any surprise why we were able to get Kenya to come from Georgetown?  Or Coach Mo to step down as a head coach to become an assistant under Miles?

I'm not trying to say that I know the answer to any of the questions I just asked.  I'm just saying it makes sense to spend a little time thinking about these things before we just start to rant and spout off about what a horrible coach Tim Miles is.

Kenya gotta be pissed this year... He doesn't even have a post to work with.  We have to get the guy somebody to Coach!  When\if Leslie Smith and to a lesser extent Moses comes back, this team is going to have a solid turn around.  You can quote me on it.  

We need them Bigs to open up the lane for Petteway and more importantly Shields.

After watching this season to date and last season. Is Coach Miles really coaching and making his players better or is he just a good front man for the basketball program because he speaks well and says what we want to hear but its clearly not a basketball team that plays as a team.

As a coach you need to hold all your player accountable for their play being good or bad and I don't think he does that. He talks about it but rarely takes any action during a game and just lets it go..

At this point you need to find a rotation of guys that will move the ball and not turn it over and play team basketball. We dribble a lot and look to go one on one and we pass the ball less than 3 times a possession for sure.

If you take bad shots or turn the ball over and over again, then you need to get less playing time and watch from the bench.. Right now there is certain players that dont see the value of moving the basketball and limiting their turnovers because it happens game after game and the head Coach needs to set the ground work on whats not acceptable to play for this team like it or not. Is just not about getting yours.

We had that coach. Everybody bitched about him benching guys that took bad shots and turned the ball over. He's now at Southern Miss. You want us to go hire him back?

There is some middle ground. There needs to be some consequences if you want behaviors to change.

Well, it's not like Coach hasn't shown he understands that.  He benched Rivers last year to withering criticism on here.  And Dave started rebounding.  We just don't have the depth right now to be able to use playing time as a "consequence".  That will change some with Moses and Leslie coming back, but we need to get some players.  Amazing how the whole coaching thing looks better when you have a bunch of good players in the system.   It looks promising that the class signed in November will improve the situation.  But some patience will be required, more than a bunch of folks have now that expectations got out of whack.