Think we hit rock bottom fellas

Hoops_Legend

Just now, cornfed24-7 said:

If Nebraska football is a genius at this what does that make Nebraska basketball?😟

People don't pay near as much attention to Nebraska basketball in the off-season as they do for Nebraska football.  When you have stations like The Ticket and Sipple constantly selling how good every NU player is and how good each new recruit is all year round, people start believing it and the expectations are very high by the time the fall gets here.  They don't do that for NU basketball.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

Frost hasn't saved his job yet.  Doesn't matter what changes he made in the off season cause if he doesn't win at least 6 games next year, he will be fired.  Honestly, he should have been fired at the end of this season.  No question, they have made some nice moves in the off season but no way am I drinking the Kool-aid this offseason.  Nebraska football is a genius at winning the off-season hype only to be let down in the fall.  It's said when men's athletics at Nebraska has become "just wait till next year" kind of program.

I am forecasting. Would it make things more clear if I said "I think the things he has done this off-season are the kinds of things that will pay real dividends and are not just window-dressing, and these changes, which were necessary, I believe will translate into wins next season. Sufficient wins for him to keep his job."

And I'll add this: I was not expecting the kind of off-season movement we've seen. Even when they did the restructure, my  thoughts had been that it would be too little, too late, and that Frost would have difficulty enticing new assistants or quality transfers/recruits to come to a place where it looks like the current coach is circling the drain.

The fact that lots of guys who could have easily transferred decided to stick around was an eye-opener to me. The fact that he landed some legit assistants was a further eye-opener. But pulling in the TX QB and the LSU receivers were legit coups. The players in the program, it seems to me, clearly believe they have something going worth sticking with.

Compare that to men's basketball.

33 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

People don't pay near as much attention to Nebraska basketball in the off-season as they do for Nebraska football.  When you have stations like The Ticket and Sipple constantly selling how good every NU player is and how good each new recruit is all year round, people start believing it and the expectations are very high by the time the fall gets here.  They don't do that for NU basketball.

You literally described this board and the media coverage of this team this preseason.

• 3 weeks later...

I think of our first ever B1G Football game at Madison against Russell Wilson. And then I think of our last game of this Basketball season in Madison that could see us cement 0-20. And then you throw in Volleyball & I can’t help but see how ALL of these events at the hands of the Badgers have contributed to our utter collapse. Michigan & Ohio St were supposed to be our “Heavyweight” rivals when we joined the Conference, buts it’s Bucky who has driven the stake in our hearts time & again…

36 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I think of our first ever B1G Football game at Madison against Russell Wilson. And then I think of our last game of this Basketball season in Madison that could see us cement 0-20. And then you throw in Volleyball & I can’t help but see how ALL of these events at the hands of the Badgers have contributed to our utter collapse. Michigan & Ohio St were supposed to be our “Heavyweight” rivals when we joined the Conference, buts it’s Bucky who has driven the stake in our hearts time & again…

This has been my thoughts for a very long time. This is what Colorado was suppose to be if they hadn't imploded and TO wasn't our coach. All of this with Wiscy is fueled by Barry Alverez, who has a deep fear of us usurping them in the pecking order in this conference. He's the one who was in Harvey Perlman's ear about Bo. He was the one who recommended Shawn Eichorst as our AD. Iowa is just a distraction because we share a border with them, similar to KState when we were in the Big12. Our real rival in this conference is Wiscy and once we start making our inevitable march back to greatness they will be our first major hurdle that we need to overcome. This applies to all sports, see Volleyball. If you've ever been to see us play on the road in Madison you'll know what I'm talking about. They don't have the nastiness of Colorado, but they still have that deep want to beat us down. Make no mistake when we play them, no matter the sport, that game/match is circled in red. They just aren't as vocal about it as Colorado was.

9 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

This has been my thoughts for a very long time. This is what Colorado was suppose to be if they hadn't imploded and TO wasn't our coach. All of this with Wiscy is fueled by Barry Alverez, who has a deep fear of us usurping them in the pecking order in this conference. He's the one who was in Harvey Perlman's ear about Bo. He was the one who recommended Shawn Eichorst as our AD. Iowa is just a distraction because we share a border with them, similar to KState when we were in the Big12. Our real rival in this conference is Wiscy and once we start making our inevitable march back to greatness they will be our first major hurdle that we need to overcome. This applies to all sports, see Volleyball. If you've ever been to see us play on the road in Madison you'll know what I'm talking about. They don't have the nastiness of Colorado, but they still have that deep want to beat us down. Make no mistake when we play them, no matter the sport, that game/match is circled in red. They just aren't as vocal about it as Colorado was.

I was in Madison for the Football game, we’re like a dog pecker gnat to them…

5 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I was in Madison for the Football game, we’re like a dog pecker gnat to them…

I've been there multiple times and have hung  out with Wiscy fans. They all know we are blue blood in CFB. They all know that once we find our footing again that it is going to be game on. Right now they aren't concerned and rightly so, but they realize that once we get the ship righted the hierarchy in the conference is going to shift. We have a ways to go now doubt but they understand the dynamics of CFB very well. They've been to games in Lincoln and have seen our National Titles and our game day atmosphere. I promise you beating us matters more to them than beating any other team in the West. 

5 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I've been there multiple times and have hung  out with Wiscy fans. They all know we are blue blood in CFB. They all know that once we find our footing again that it is going to be game on. Right now they aren't concerned and rightly so, but they realize that once we get the ship righted the hierarchy in the conference is going to shift. We have a ways to go now doubt but they understand the dynamics of CFB very well. They've been to games in Lincoln and have seen our National Titles and our game day atmosphere. I promise you beating us matters more to them than beating any other team in the West. 

I believed that too when it came to our Men’s Sports, it wasn’t IF but WHEN we got the ship righted. Until I see otherwise, I have absolutely no reason to assume anything anymore, & that’s a painful admission, trust me…

2 hours ago, roscoe said:

So would the "let's play baseball" chant shut them up. I remember a similar scenario when ISU came to BDSC years ago and that chant with ISU instead of Wisconsin seemed to quell the 3 bus loads of clone students.

I like this idea in theory, until they yell “Let’s Play Hockey”…!

On 1/20/2022 at 9:43 AM, cornfed24-7 said:

You literally described this board and the media coverage of this team this preseason.

SPOT ON! All I read and heard pre season was how amazing this team was.  One of the best...if not the best...since Danny Nee's top 25 teams. Able to make 3 point shots from half court....sinking the ball left and right. NBA caliber players. Some of these guys have good nights ..but not good enough to make up for the rest of the team's lousy performance. I'm still seeing posts on this board hyping players for next year due to what they are doing now. The easy solution is to just stop reading those posts. The harder part is for people to stop posting those type of posts. Stop adding undeserved hype.  If they can prove that they deserve it great...by that I mean actually play in a Husker uniform. These guys playing right now?  I'd give the equipment manager more credit than I would the players.  But I don't see anyone hyping them.

9 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I married into a family where my brother in law is the men's head tennis coach of the badgers...its been brutal.

I lived in Mpls for a long time before we joined the B1G & was well versed in the Border Battle & all things Cheesehead related. Theses schools view us as Interlopers (which we are) & the very definition of “All Hat & NO Cattle” (also true) sadly it’s reached a point where a good friend of mine who  travels extensively in WI for business no longer mentions where he went to school. To that I say Keep the Faith & #GBR 

1 minute ago, Handy Johnson said:

I lived in Mpls for a long time before we joined the B1G & was well versed in the Border Battle & all things Cheesehead related. Theses schools view us as Interlopers (which we are) & the very definition of “All Hat & NO Cattle” (also true) sadly it’s reached a point where a good friend of mine who  travels extensively in WI for business no longer mentions where he went to school. To that I say Keep the Faith & #GBR 

I'm betting that there are those in the "B1G" who still see Penn State as interlopers. If we could ever start gaining national recognition in men's sports, I'm betting those folks would "adopt" us in a millisecond. 

Sort of off topic...but suggestion to the managers of the page...like you have a separate section about recruits...maybe make a separate "Is N" section to the page...where until a player is actually out on the court playing in a Husker game they are relegated to a page that they might get some attention, but not the attention they would get in the main section. I'd like to see the players coming in get a lot less bigger heads. We (and the press) are partially to blame.  I see people on here talking about recruits for next year and how amazing they are.  Big deal.  People did the same with this current class.  Have they seriously lived up to your expectations (this is mainly directed at those that pumped up these guys before the season started...and before they even put on any Husker gear). 

Edited by Nighthawk

48 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

It's a current sad state we are in across the board in men's sports. So much so my brother in law barely teases me about Nebraska anymore. Man did I talk up Hoiberg (and to a lesser extent Frost) and the success that was inevitably coming. Big oof.

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Why would he do that? How embarrassing for him? Our football program has 10x the history of both those schools combined. Even during the "down years of Bo" we where still winning at a high rate. I have Wiscy friends and every debate ends with me pointing out our 5 NC's. We've been bad for a few years...so what. My ego isn't tied up in how we played last season or the season before. 

I'm also not embarrassed by how bad our basketball program has been historically. 

I really don't give a shyt what anyone outside of our program thinks of our team, and I certainly don't care what anybody thinks about me.

Fans of our our program crave outside acceptance. Why? Who cares. I cringe, for example, in the Next Coach thread when people talk of a "splash" hire. Who cares. Assuming FH is let go next year, who ever we hire next year needs to be a fit for our program regardless of what outsiders think.