Think we hit rock bottom fellas

Hoops_Legend

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

This is all bad but there is easily a floor that resides under 'not winning a game the rest of the season'

Of course...I'm sure there is a scenario where the NCAA investigates our widely rumored "recruiting violations" and is about to vote to impose the death penalty on our program only to realize that we've self imposed the death penalty since the start of the Hoiberg era.  The NCAA decides not to punish us because there is nothing more they can do.  When an inept agency looks at you and feels sorry for how poorly you are run, that seems pretty close to rock bottom.

3 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Of course...I'm sure there is a scenario where the NCAA investigates our widely rumored "recruiting violations" and is about to vote to impose the death penalty on our program only to realize that we've self imposed the death penalty since the start of the Hoiberg era.  The NCAA decides not to punish us because there is nothing more they can do.  When an inept agency looks at you and feels sorry for how poorly you are run, that seems pretty close to rock bottom.

I meant a bunch of guys getting injured or the team just quitting.  Also, we aren't being investigated by the NCAA.  If anything, it's in the best interest of such an organization to punish teams that aren't winning as removing good teams from post season is bad for business.

27 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I meant a bunch of guys getting injured or the team just quitting.  Also, we aren't being investigated by the NCAA.  If anything, it's in the best interest of such an organization to punish teams that aren't winning as removing good teams from post season is bad for business.

It was a joke (except for the NCAA being inept) and we should probably have a @cipsucks contest to see who can best define rock bottom!

I've decided that this moment, January 19th, 2022, is the rock bottom for our program.  We are a dead lock to place last in the B1G again.  We got beat by a directional low major school this season, again.  Rutgers, the historical laughingstock of the Power 5 in literally every sport, beat us in "name your victory margin" fashion.  All these things are very, very bad.  But the reason why this is the true rock bottom is that there is no hope for improvement.  In every previous failed season, there has always been something to look forward to next year.  Whether that's a young returning nucleus of players, or a couple intriguing prospects in the recruiting class, or even the belief that it's bad enough to expect a coaching change for the following year.  But we have none of these things.

1. Returning players...who?  We have never had continuity under Hoiberg, so there's zero expectation that we'll retain a core of underclassmen. 

2. Recruiting.  This year's additions were supposed to be The Chosen Ones.  If they can look so lackluster, then what expectation do we have that less heralded players will turn things around?

3. Coaching change.  As has been reported, firing Fred after the season would trigger the largest buyout in college basketball history.  Even waiting a year would still make the buyout tied for the largest ever.  And this is while the breadwinning football program is also likely less than a year away from an expensive coaching change.  From a business perspective, we are married to Hoiberg for at least another 1-2 seasons.

Now add in the Kobe Webster bombshell interview, where he said that coaches are unwilling to hold players accountable.  And even when some players try to hold others accountable, they are told to go pound sand.  That's the culture we are stuck with for the next 15-27 months.  No wonder the fanbase has drifted into apathy.  If the players and coaches don't care, then why should we?

Losing stinks.  But losing with no hope is the worst.  There is no further damage that can be done to make the situation worse than it already is.  Even NCAA sanctions would be an improvement, because that should in theory allow for the coaching staff to be fired "with cause."  There can't possibly be anything worse than losing every game, with no hope for the future, and secretly pulling for an NCAA sanction.  This has to be rock bottom.

@aphilso1, actually, I think Frost saved his job this off-season. I think the changes he made were not just window-dressing or rearranging the Titanic's deck chairs, but actual, structural improvements that will lead to success. And we have a bit easier of a path next season, in terms of schedule, to get to a bowl game.

We still have a few needs, but we've checked some boxes. And if Frost wins 8 or 9 games and takes us to a bowl, it'll be impossible to fire him after NOT firing him this season and giving him another chance to fix things. If you give him a chance to fix stuff and it gets fixed ...

So, I expect the O-line is going to look a bit saltier. We have a pretty solid receivers room. We just added a the best juco player in the country to our running backs room. And we replaced the turnover machine with the Big 12 leader in TDs, so the QB room should look better. The offensive coordinating will probably be just a bit better. And special teams could be night and day. I mean, it would be hard for our special teams to NOT be a lot better than they were a year ago.

So, yeah. Anyway, Fred, not so much.

18 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

@aphilso1, actually, I think Frost saved his job this off-season. I think the changes he made were not just window-dressing or rearranging the Titanic's deck chairs, but actual, structural improvements that will lead to success. And we have a bit easier of a path next season, in terms of schedule, to get to a bowl game.

We still have a few needs, but we've checked some boxes. And if Frost wins 8 or 9 games and takes us to a bowl, it'll be impossible to fire him after NOT firing him this season and giving him another chance to fix things. If you give him a chance to fix stuff and it gets fixed ...

So, I expect the O-line is going to look a bit saltier. We have a pretty solid receivers room. We just added a the best juco player in the country to our running backs room. And we replaced the turnover machine with the Big 12 leader in TDs, so the QB room should look better. The offensive coordinating will probably be just a bit better. And special teams could be night and day. I mean, it would be hard for our special teams to NOT be a lot better than they were a year ago.

So, yeah. Anyway, Fred, not so much.

Frost hasn't saved his job yet.  Doesn't matter what changes he made in the off season cause if he doesn't win at least 6 games next year, he will be fired.  Honestly, he should have been fired at the end of this season.  No question, they have made some nice moves in the off season but no way am I drinking the Kool-aid this offseason.  Nebraska football is a genius at winning the off-season hype only to be let down in the fall.  It's said when men's athletics at Nebraska has become "just wait till next year" kind of program.